PDA

View Full Version : Chicken bones, argh

aly
05-10-2001, 12:17 PM
Well, I had an AWFUL night. First, one of my fish I've had for 3 yrs died. I am heartbroken and it didn't help when one of my friends told me "its just a fish" http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/mad.gif

Then when I woke up, I saw Reece had gotten into the trash can at night! He usually never leaves my side and I never thought he'd do that without Harley here to influence him. There were chicken bones in the trash and he ate some! Now I'm so worried about a blockage. I called the vet and they just told me to watch him for 48 hours. I can't stand this waiting, I hope he's okay.

Violet
05-10-2001, 01:05 PM
Chicken bones are a dangerous thing when it comes to dogs. I had a black lab once and I noticed him scratching at the roof of his mouth. When I pried his mouth open, A chicken bone was lodged at the roof of his mouth. I called my dad over and he had to cut the bone out of his mouth with a pair of cutting pliers.

Stenograsaurus
05-10-2001, 01:50 PM
Aly, my dogs had gotten into the garbage and eaten chicken bones before and everything was fine with them so it doesn't always end in a disaster. Keep us posted on how Reece is doing. I'm sure everything will be fine. I'm also so sorry to hear about your fish.

Ben E Gas
05-10-2001, 02:18 PM
Let us know how Reese is. Sorry to hear about your fish.

My roommate had a cat once that swallowed a few chicken wing bones whole. I was scared but he seemed fine. He did have urinary troubles years later and had to be put down. I think it was because my friend never took him to the vet for routine check ups each year. It could have been prevented if he had caught it early enough. poor guy.

AdoreMyDogs
05-10-2001, 02:39 PM
Aly,

I have also had dogs go into the garbage and eat chicken bones...I hope everything comes out as easily as it had for my dogs in the past.

I am so sorry about your fish. I understand how it hurts. When I was a very young girl we went to a carnival and I won a little feeder goldfish by throwing a ping pong ball into the cup it was in. I named him spot because he was mostly orange with a black spot on his head. I had him for 7 years and he flipped out of the tank one sad day while I was away at school. It was very hard. I cried alot. It does not matter what kind of animal the pet happens to be, it's always a tragidy when they die. I understand your pain completely.

Angels3
05-10-2001, 09:41 PM
Cooked chicken bones are dangerous to dogs because the cooking dries the bones which can then splinter & cause internal injury.

Uncooked chicken bones do not present that same danger. The vets here recommend that dogs eat an uncooked chicken wing once a week for the health of their teeth. But we're warned to strictly avoid cooked chicken bones.

A first aid I use if I think a dog has eaten something sharp...is to smear vegemite (a tasty spread) on thick slices of bread & give this to the dog. I hope that the bread 'cushions' the sharp object. But, of course, this is only first-aid while we check with the vet.

aly
05-10-2001, 10:02 PM
I just called the emergency vet because Reece had some diarrhea. They told me to keep watching him and take him in if it happens again tonight. He has been acting normal, running around playing and eating. I am still keeping a close eye on him though.

Sudilar
05-10-2001, 10:16 PM
Aly,
I'm so sorry about your fish. What was its name? I know it hurts and it is not just a fish! He/she was your pet.

I hope Reese it ok. Keep us posted.

aly
05-10-2001, 10:23 PM
My fish's name was Karen. She was a pretty green tiger barb with an orange mouth. She was named after the character on the show Will & Grace. Her friend was Jack, an albino tiger barb who is still doing fine. I don't know why she died. I guess it was her time. I keep getting these flashes in my head of her floating there and it makes me just gasp out loud. Once I've had my fish so long, I just never expect them to leave me because they don't really show signs of aging like other animals.

I also have 2 huge calico goldfish named Will and Grace.

AdoreMyDogs
05-11-2001, 06:48 AM
Aly, Sorry about your fish...and I am praying for Reese, I sure hope he'll be OK. The names of your fish are real cute. Named after my favorite show, aside from Seinfeld! Karen & Jack are my favorite characters...so funny.

Sudilar
05-11-2001, 08:41 AM
Aly, any news about Reece? I pray that he's ok.
Sue

RachelJ
05-11-2001, 10:55 AM
I too am sorry about Karen. I don't know anything about fish but I imagine that they each have their own little personalities which you get to know and care for and become a part of your life.

Also I am checking back to see if there is any news with dear little Reece. Like Angels, I would do the bread thing. Don't know if there is any scientific substance to it but that would be my inclination as well.

aly
05-11-2001, 07:02 PM
I just took him out to go to the bathroom and he stil has diarrhea. Its not pure liquid like it had been though. Now its more like a gel. But what is really concerning me is he strained for a long time after he went and couldn't get anything else out. Then he walked bow-legged for about 7 minutes cause I think he still had to go but couldn't. Does this mean he has a blockage?

sammi
05-11-2001, 09:36 PM
Aly, Could be his bottom is VERY sore and thats why he's walking so funny. He also might feel like he still has something left to go and that is why he is straining. Please get some rest tonight and hope it helps having your mom there tonight.

RachelJ
05-12-2001, 09:31 AM
I went back through Tucker's vet records from when he was with his other family and had the blockage. The records revealed that his symptoms were throwing up liquid at very frequent intervals. Aparently nothing at all was getting through so it had to come back up, but this month's Dr. Fosters and Smith catalog has a case study about a dog that also had a blockage (some kind of pit) but liquids were going through, so I guess each case can be different. What about asking your vet if taking an xray would reveal anything? At least you know that it might be chicken bones and whether or not that would show up on an xray. Please keep us posted.

[This message has been edited by RachelJ (edited May 12, 2001).]

aly
05-12-2001, 10:38 AM
Reece is running around at top speed today, happy as can be. He hasn't thrown up anymore. I'm a little concerned because he only peed this morning. I will take him back out in a little while and see if he can get anything else out.

I think with blockages you have to be careful about the animal being lethargic. Or can they have one and act normal? I saw it happen to a 5 month boxer at the shelter. She had eaten part of a toy. She was full of energy one day, barely lifted her head the next, and was dead the next morning http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/frown.gif It was awful.

RachelJ
05-12-2001, 01:13 PM
The dog in the article (a Vizsla) was refusing all food and treats (and had for four days) but was drinking normally and there was no vomiting or anything else. It said she was "active and healthy". The owner maintained that she couldn't have ingested anything unusual. The vets physical exam didn't reveal any problems. They then gave xrays which were normal and next a barium series and xrays over 8 hours. The dog still wasn't eating. Next they did blood tests, all normal. Finally they did an exploratory surgery which revealed a mass in her small intestine which when they opened it up they found a peach pit. The pit had absorbed a lot of moisture which made it similar in structure to the intestine walls, therefore it did not show up on the xrays. The pit had not caused a complete obstruction, allowing liquids to pass through normally. The pit was either causing her pain or making her nauseated. They said her behaviour was a typical response to a complete or incomplete obstruction.

So I guess the answer to your question is that they don't necessarily have to be lethargic.

tatsxxx11
05-12-2001, 06:17 PM
Hi Alyson. So glad that Reece is up and peppy today. He might not be peeing as much as he is so behind in his fluids. Just make sure he's taking and keeping down his fluids. I think Rachel has the right idea there. An x-ray would be a good idea just to rule-out anything obstructive. My beautiful lab Jing, Rainbow Bridge, went through a similar experience like Reece. When she was x-rayed, it revealed "multiple foreign objects!" http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif Everything from bird skulls to sand and small stones! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/frown.gif Maybe you could run this past the vet. Being a nurse, I always have the inclination to do whatever test necessary just to "make sure." No doubt I drive them crazy at the animal hospital! I think you're right on top of things, and hope that the little Reece pup has a quiet evening. See if his output doesn't pick up tomorrow; if he's taking in and holding down fluids. That's the most important thing.

I'm so sorry about Karen. I had the most beautiful Shibumi, "Tiger." I remember the day he passed so vividly; it was so upseting. I still miss him. He brought such peace and serenity to my days. I am so sorry. Can I tell you what a wonderful mom you are to your babies?

And boy, can I relate to your "going in circles" as you drove Reece to the vet! I did the very same thing during a recent emergency with one of my kitty's. We really do "lose it" when one of our kids is in peril! Have a Happy Mother's Day! You deserve all the rest and pampering everyone can heap upon you. Kisses to precious Reece and sweet Shiloh. Love Sandra and Co.