PDA

View Full Version : Newborn Pups need help

tatsxxx11
05-07-2001, 04:18 PM
Can anyone who has any experience with new born puppies reply to the topic "Can Anyone Help" in Dogs General? There is someone there who has a newborn litter of pups whose mother will neither feed nor care for them. I have no experience...could only tell her to call her vet! I'm so worried for these little guys. Thanks for the help.

*LabLoverKEB*
05-11-2001, 05:58 PM
tatsxxx11- I have a little expierence with new born puppies! I'll post a reply for her!!

petspoil
05-18-2001, 02:26 PM
No need to worry the mother is feeding them. I go and visit them everyday and the pups are getting bigger. They are so cute and cuddly. They are 11 days old now just wondering and waiting for them to open their eyes. Anyone knows when do pups open their eyes? Also when should we start taking them off mother's milk?

Rottie
05-18-2001, 02:43 PM
Puppies usually start opening their eyes around 10 days. But, don't worry if they're not open yet - at 11 days. I'd wait a couple more days before worrying about it.

From what I've read, at about 3 weeks you can start feeding them dog food. I think you just feed them regular puppy food but soak it in water or broth for a few minutes before hand so it's easier for them to chew.

You have to go through the transition from milk to dry food slowly. Don't expect them to be eating dry food just a couple days after they started. You should still be giving them milk until you are sure they are getting enough from the dry food.

petspoil
05-20-2001, 12:23 PM
Thanks Rottie. 3 of the 5 pups started to open their eyes yesterday. They are so cute with their eyes open a tiny slit. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

tatsxxx11
05-20-2001, 02:01 PM
Ooooooooooooh!!!! Kisses and squishy hugs to the puppies!