PDA

View Full Version : Letting your cats climb the Chrishmas tree.

Alexander
10-12-2003, 07:22 PM
I let my cats climb the Christmas tree :) . But sometimes the Christmas ornaments fall down and break :mad: . This time I am going to put glass Christmas ornaments in place where my cats can't reach. Any ideas to keep the Christmas ornaments from breaking?

krazyaboutkatz
10-12-2003, 07:39 PM
Since I've had cats, I've never had a Christmas tree because I'm afraid that they would love to climb it and break the ornaments. If I did have a tree I wouldn't let them climb it.

Samantha Puppy
10-12-2003, 08:11 PM
Sherman has never even tried.

jenluckenbach
10-12-2003, 08:17 PM
When I USED to have a Christmas tree indoors, the cats were NOT allowed in it. But it has been MANY, MANY years since I have put one up inside. ;)

Felicia's Mom
10-12-2003, 09:14 PM
The last time I had a Christmas tree the cat I had climbed it; I have not had one for many years.
My cats now have never seen a Christmas tree. I don't know if they would climb it or not.

cubby31682
10-12-2003, 09:23 PM
Last year I had a fake Christmas tree. It was a very expensive tree. It costed us 200$ or so. The first year we had it Cubby loved it, the second year (last year) we had it, Cubby loved it so much he broke it. It was made out of alot of metal, we had all plastic orniments, and it was a pre-lite tree. He never chewed on the wires he just wanted to sleep in the tree and play with the orniments. I never knew a cat could bend metal the way he did. It was amazing. We couldn't even bend them back.

There was one time he got stuck in the tree, I had to try and get him out. I was so afraid I was going to end up breaking one of his back legs trying to get him out. After that happened I would spray him when he would get near it, but it got to a point when I would leave and come home he wouldn't come to greet me because his 'tree' was more important than me :(

Katie

cubby31682
10-12-2003, 09:25 PM
I have a few more pictures of him too.

Karen
10-12-2003, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Alexander
I let my cats climb the Christmas tree :) . But sometimes the Christmas ornaments fall down and break :mad: . This time I am going to put glass Christmas ornaments in place where my cats can't reach. Any ideas to keep the Christmas ornaments from breaking?

Yup! Don't hang the glass ornaments on the tree! Hang them from a garland stretched over a mantle, windowframe or doorway, or stack them in a pretty glass bowl as a centerpiece (in a cabinet if your cats patrol the table when you're out) ...

No matter how far up on the tree you place them, if they tip the whole tree over, some WILL break!

Craftlady
10-12-2003, 09:34 PM
I voted "never" because our tree is miniture table top thats the size of a small lamp. Butterscotch and Thumper don't bother xmas decorations. Hum.... Skinny will make decorations a challenge :D

Fox-Gal
10-12-2003, 10:07 PM
I have a sneaky cat that always waited till night time to climb the tree. Every morning I get up and there was the tree leaning on the wall. Every morning I set it back up, only to wake up the next morning to a leaning tree again. So now the tree goes in a corner of the room tied to a nail in the wall...to hold it up just in case the midnight tree attacker strikes again.

My only problem now is my dog, Tuffy. We can't leave him alone with the tree anymore. If we do he hikes his leg and marks that tree as his. :eek: :eek:

carole
10-12-2003, 10:23 PM
I am really tossing up whether to put my xmas tree up this year, as we have the rather delightful , playful young lexie this year, who loves anything that dangles.

My RB Sooti also took quite a liking to it the year before, but he was not too bad, Ash never even looks at it really.

So the place may look a little bare this year.

RedHedd
10-12-2003, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Alexander
Any ideas to keep the Christmas ornaments from breaking?

I keep mine in the box :D. Seriously, I had a Christmas tree the first few Xmases I had my RB Goldie. The first year she broke 21 antique ornaments; the next year she broke I don't remember how many Walgreens ornaments and I had to upright the tree I don't know how many times - she kept climbing on it and knocking it down. The only solution that worked: Not putting up a tree. instead I go hog-wild with cat-safe decorations all over the house. It's so much more fun as I can start decorating slowly at the end of November; by Xmas my place looks like a cat-friendly Santa's village. Remember tinsel can be dangerous if our little furred ones swallow it.

BastetsMum
10-13-2003, 04:43 AM
Tree + Abysinnian = Expensive trips to casualty ward :D :D

Amber
10-13-2003, 06:00 AM
We always let Maggie climb the christmas tree, but never outside kind.

emily_the_spoiled
10-13-2003, 07:48 AM
Emily never expressed any interest in the Christmas tree (except as a place to sleep under). But boy Tanner sure loved it!!! He was only 12 weeks old last Christmas and he managed to knock over my tree (the night before I was going to take it down). He only broke a couple of ornaments. But I think this year I may have to pass on a tree and maybe go for something else...

bluekat
10-13-2003, 08:39 AM
Last year was our very first Christmas with Blueberry. We bought a brand new tree with all these ornaments, most of them glass or breakable. But Blueberry didn't climb it, he never tried:p He only batted around one of the glass ornaments at the bottom, but it never broke:p

Logan
10-13-2003, 08:56 AM
I voted "Never" because I would "never" let them climb the tree, but what they do when I'm not looking is a totally different matter!!! :eek:

Actually, Mimi tipped the tree over one time that I can remember, several years back. Our biggest concern with Buttercup in his first two Christmas with us was his tearing open the packages, a concern that was not unfounded! He LOVES paper and doesn't try to eat it, just rips it. Just last week, he chewed up a recipe for a cake I was getting ready to make!! Tore it to shreds!!!!!

Oh, I hope he will never try to climb the tree!!!!! :rolleyes:

kuhio98
10-13-2003, 09:39 AM
I'm not sure how to vote. No, I've never told my kitties that they are allowed to climb the Christmas tree and I've never told them that they are not allowed. Would it really matter if I forbid them? They're going to do it anyway.

Seriously, Cudsey climbed the tree almost every one of her 16 years. Kuhio never climbed the tree in her 17 years but loved to hang out underneath the branches and grab your toes when you went by.

This Christmas, will be Halo and Cammie's first one with us -- should be interesting.

The tree has never been knocked over, though. We put a eyescrew into the wall where the tree goes and wrap fishing line around the tree to lock it into place. If if they climb it, it doesn't fall over completely and break the ornaments.

:eek:

catmandu
10-13-2003, 10:21 AM
My dear Mother , may the Lord bless her memory had Hand crafted Oraments , that were handed down to her by her Grandmother. But the original Smokey the Cat did some exploring and Crash! I am sure that my Mother would curse the Cat as those Ornaments were Hand Made and irreplaceable!But she made sure Smokey was All Right and got the dustpan out. Then she said , throug a few tears , that Smokey is a living Creature and takes priority over a few baubles!That Gods Creations are always more important than things! and I have remembered this , even after JJJ3 86ed my VCR!

RICHARD
10-13-2003, 11:49 AM
ALWAYS.

It's like a spin the bottle game.

I bet on whatever direction the tree lands in, and
it makes Christmas a little more dangerous.:eek:

catlover4ever
10-13-2003, 12:10 PM
While my cats have never climbed the tree, I always anchor it to the walls. I think Tobias would have climbed it if I had him at the time the Christmas tree was up....he was a little devil.

My mom on the other hand has many pictures of her furkids in the tree. I will never forget the year that my grandmother died and I helped mom put up the tree. It looked so beautiful. My grandmother always collected beautiful bulbs and we put each and every one of them on the tree. I received a call 2 days later at around 1 am. My mom works second shift so when she got home she called me......It seems that when she walked into the basement of the house the tree was down there. I could barely understand what she was saying but when I went over the next day I could see what she was saying. The artificial tree was in fact in the basement, in pieces. Seems that the 8 furkids had one heck of a party while she was working and they took the tree apart limb by limb, then took the ornaments and lights off of it and those were all through the house.

Since then, the tree is anchored to the floor, windows, and walls. No more tree in the basement for that group.

catland
10-13-2003, 12:25 PM
I wonder how much of this tree-climbing is a function of indoor-only cats? To them, the tree must seem like the best cat toy ever! My kitties, who go outside, don't seem to have a fascination with the tree - after all, there are much better ones that they can climb outside.

Well, there is Joxer who does seem to like ornaments so that I make sure that the bottom ones are unbreakable:D He's just so gosh darn cute because he taps them oh-so gently.

I don't know what the solution is. Maybe set the tree up early so that they can inspect it and it will lose its fascination? Maybe get them their own tree that they are allowed to play with?

2kitties
10-13-2003, 01:05 PM
I had really good luck last year. First, don't hang anything near the bottom- espcially the good stuff. Also, make sure you anchor the tree to the wall in the event of a raid. Then spray the perimeter with the repellant.
My boys really didn't bother the tree too much last year. I hope to have the same situation this year.

Alexander
10-13-2003, 04:45 PM
Good thing that my cats Oreo and Inkspot don't climb the Christmas tree because they act like real adults and my cat Oliver and Catfish acts like kids.

carole
10-13-2003, 06:55 PM
As far as I know Lexie has never seen a xmas tree, so it will be a new experience for her, should I decide to put it up, the place just won't be the same , have that xmas feeling without it.

She is used to climbing outdoor trees, but I am certain she will be more interested in the bits and pieces that dangle from it.:)

Alexander
10-13-2003, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Karen
Yup! Don't hang the glass ornaments on the tree! Hang them from a garland stretched over a mantle, windowframe or doorway, or stack them in a pretty glass bowl as a centerpiece (in a cabinet if your cats patrol the table when you're out) ...

No matter how far up on the tree you place them, if they tip the whole tree over, some WILL break!

I had a idea too. :D Put things like pillows around the tree and the glass ornaments won't break when it land on them. Good thing that my cats don't make the Christmas tree tip. :)

iloverat
10-13-2003, 10:36 PM
We have to use an artificial Christmas tree because of allergy problems. Our cat, Briggs, has never climbed in it but she likes to eat the fake pine needles. I'll walk through the room and spy her sitting next to the tree, munching on a limb. Naturally, later on I'll have the task of cleaning up kitty barf. This also goes for other faux greenery placed anywhere in the house. I have some adorable miniature trees that I gave up on completely. In fact, dear Briggs climbed up into the top of a closet just last night and caused the box containing the mini-trees to come tumbling down, spilling open and displaying tiny trees and ornaments all over the place. When I discovered this, I was relieved that all the trees seemed intact and bore no signs of having been gnawed. We put up a tabletop metal tree last year and only hung fabric or other unbreakable ornaments on it. She had no mishaps with that and actually seemed rather disinterested. Makes sense, right? Where's the fun in something that can't be destroyed:) :) :)

Sara luvs her Tinky
10-15-2003, 06:42 AM
I COULDN'T KEEP TINKY OUT OF THE CHRISTMAS TREE LAST YEAR!!!!....

Even when we were putting it up she was all over it... SILLY GIRL! When I would grab her to get her out she would growl... so I really didn't have a choice if she was going to climb it or not.

Jupiter never got in the tree... thank goodness... I think he is too big... and would probably have knocked it over.:eek:

Ally Cat's Mommy
10-15-2003, 07:04 AM
Great stories everyone! ANd I LOVE the pic of Cubby in the tree - that would make a great Christmes card!

Ally has never even seen a Christmas tree, but knowing her, if it is forbidden, it will become her favourite toy!!