PDA

View Full Version : worried about pregnant sadie

matti
09-08-2001, 02:21 PM
i have another dog besides madison. her name is sadie. just around the end of july both sadie and madison went into heat. madison didn't get pregnant, but sadie did. sadie is a chiwawa mix. is it normal for them to nearly quadruple their weight when pregnant?
(i.e. about 4 1/2 lbs to about 17 lbs)
:eek: :confused:

[ September 08, 2001: Message edited by: madd_dog ]

[ September 08, 2001: Message edited by: madd_dog ]

Karen
09-08-2001, 04:35 PM
Has she been to see the vet? I have no experience with such a small dog being pregnant, so I can't help you!

MHMama
09-08-2001, 08:13 PM
This could be very dangerous. Do you know what breed the male dog was? My husband had a small dog (years ago) that went into heat and got pregnant by a much larger dog. She ended up with nine puppies, three were stuck and died before they realized and did a C section to save the other six.
I am not sure but I believe that most breeders prefer bigger females and small males to try to make small chihuahuas because of the danger to the female. PLEASE get Sadie to a vet if you haven't already.

Pam
09-08-2001, 09:02 PM
Oh no, another pup to worry about! Madd_dog I certainly hope that Sadie will be all right. Does she really weight 17 lbs. now! :eek: Please do get her to a vet and let us know what you find out. We'll be waiting to hear!

Daisy's Mom
09-08-2001, 10:29 PM
I agree, take her to a vet! We'll pray for her. Keep us posted.

Dixieland Dancer
09-10-2001, 09:27 AM
The normal gestation of a pregnant bitch is 63 days. If she got pregnant in July she should be at about term and should of seen a vet long before now. My Dixie gained 20 pounds with 10 puppies each weighing about 1 pound but she is a Golden Retriever. So my answer would be (but I'm not a small dog expert) no it is not normal?

Start taking her anal temp daily twice a day. A dogs normal temp is around 101.5. In a pregnant bitch around 100 to 100.5 about a week before delivery is normal. 12- 24 hours before whelp the temp will drop below 99 (sometimes as low as 97) which indicates impending delivery. The bitch will then start to pant very heavy and will start pacing and look for a Den type environment to whelp the pups. Do not let her outside without going with her and having her on the leash since they tend to wonder off to look for the Den. Make sure your vet is aware of what is going on incase there are problems. Just in case she starts to whelp in the middle of the night, have an emergency vet hospital number handy. The fact that she has gained 17 pounds could mean there will be problems.

Again these are suggestions but you really should contact your vet.

Plan on getting both your female's spayed to prevent this from happening again! Only planned responsible breedings should be happening!!!!! :confused: :confused:

carrie
09-10-2001, 10:39 AM
You need to get to the vet as soon as you can.
These dogs are notoriously difficult to whelp and it would be very dangerous for your bitch and the pups to leave them without medical advice and attention.

Please let us know how it goes.

AdoreMyDogs
09-10-2001, 11:03 AM
Oh my gosh...from 4.5 pounds to 17 pounds sounds like a red flag to me! Please take her to the vet, and let us know how everything turns out. Good luck.