PDA

View Full Version : Retrenchment!

Ally Cat's Mommy
10-12-2003, 08:27 AM
Just had a meeting with my manager, and it seems that I will be getting retrenched soon!

Nothing is finalised yet - they will make the official announcements next week, but I said to him "Look, just cut the BS and tell me how long I've got" and he said "One Month"!!!

Oh well, at least if they terminate me I get my full End-Of-Service payment (if I resign I only get 50%), plus I didn't really have enough vacation days left to go back to South Africa for Christmas, (which WON'T be a problem NOW lol)....... maybe I'll get to spend a bit more time at home with Ally;)

kimlovescats
10-12-2003, 12:30 PM
Oh, I'm so sorry about this... but it sounds like you are dealing with it in a positive manner!!! ;)

Edwina's Secretary
10-12-2003, 01:43 PM
Ally -- welcome to the club!

But "retrenchment"????? I'm in the biz but why, oh why, must we try and come up with new phrases for an old concept. "Reorganization", "downsize", "right-size", "redundancy" and now "retrenchment." Do businesses REALLY think it feels better if you call it some other name????

Whatever you call it, it can be an opportunity! Good luck!

Cataholic
10-12-2003, 02:01 PM
Oh, wonderful. :mad: Well, what are your options, job wise, at this point?

Miss Meow
10-12-2003, 04:41 PM
Oh, no! At least you held your guns and got a timeframe out of your manager :eek:

Maybe this will help open up the other opportunity you were talking about??? Will send lots of good vibes your way :)

Ally Cat's Mommy
10-13-2003, 12:23 AM
Thanks for your good wishes! The unfortunate reality is that the product portfolio I look after is not very profitable (but the company can't close it down completely as they need to be able to offer a "full solution" to the clients), so they will be getting rid of me and hiring someone who will work for a far lower salary!

I am hoping the sales opportunity with the language center where I am currently working part-time works out - but I don't think they will do anything until the New Year - we are heading into Ramadan here, so things will be very quiet, and then after that most of the expats leave for Christmas vacation!

Anyway I am trying not to get too stressed about it - you can't solve problems by worrying about them!!!

Killearn Kitties
10-13-2003, 08:45 AM
Just sending my good wishes that everything works out well. You know where to come for support when you need it!

catmandu
10-13-2003, 10:24 AM
As someone who has been fired a few times , please dont let you down. As my Dear Mother once told me , it gives another company a chance to use yiour services!And to learn from your mistakes and do a better job , the next time! Chin up , and hopefully you get a better position! Good Luck from the Cats and I!

Barbara
10-14-2003, 07:15 AM
I agree with Sara -I hate all the new terms they come up with:(

I hope you find a new and better opportunity soon and can enjoy the time until you find it:)

Anyway I would love to spend some time with Ally:D