PDA

View Full Version : Arthritis in Dogs

cheryl
05-04-2001, 01:10 PM
I am new to this chat forum, so I hope not to pose an over-discussed topic, but I would love some feedback. My 9 year old Lab, Cody, has started to show signs of slight limping, stiffness and hesitancy to walk far distances. I have put him on Glucosamine, (after doing some preliminary research) since this seems to be the only non-toxic way to treat this problem. I also give him Ascriptin as needed and make him walk short walks each day.
The meds for arthritis are not appealing to me, as they destroy one organ function or another. If anyone has input on either non-med treatments or on their experience with meds, I'd be grateful. Loving Lab Mom

------------------

tatsxxx11
05-04-2001, 04:42 PM
Dear Lab Loving Mom! I too am a lab mom; her name is Star and she is 2 years old. I also have a husky/shep named Cody!! Cody, who is 6, has hip dysplasia and severe arthritis in one hip joint. My beloved Jingles (yellow lab-Rainbow Bridge) also suffered from arthritis in her senior years. Like you, I shyed away from some of the stronger medications due to their potential toxicity, e.g. liver damage with the use of Rimadyl; especially in labs. With both Cody and Jingles, my vet instead prescribed precisely the course that you are currently on. Glucosamine/chondrotin supplement, ascriptin and regular moderate ambulation 3 times daily. Wading through "waist deep" water is ideal if that is possible. I also bought a good orthopedic bed which seems to help her greatly. I am currently considering massage therapy and researching the use of accupuncture. Where I live, both services are available at some of the veterinary clinics. With Cody, while she was by no means overweight, the vet suggested that she lose appx. 5 lbs.-on the thinner side-as minimal weight on the joint is ideal. She seems a lot more comfortable, although at times she still limps and hesitates when rising from a lying down position. It's so hard to see them begin to lose all that carefree abandon; running, chasing and jumping. Especially when you are owned by a playful, romping labbie http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif I hope your baby improves. The vet always trys to comfort me by saying that just as in humans, as our pups age, their joints become less flexible, a little painful...just like us. While the joint disintegration cannot be fully reversed, there are those things, such as those things you are doing, that can help to make them a lot more comfortable and active. What kind of food is he on? There are several good products that promote joint mobility. I also give Cody a kelp based treat, "Sea Jerky" purchased at my vets' which she adores and that the vet says is an good additional aid. Please let me know what your thoughts are. And if YOU hear of anything else that's helpful, please let ME know. I also want to say a big welcome to you. This is a wonderful forum; we are truly like family. Before long you will really get to know all the terrific members AND their furbabies! I hope you stick with us. I desperately need a fellow lab lover to compare "Nawteedawg" stories with. And no dog in "nawtee-er" than a lab http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif We all post pics of our kids here. Just hunt for a topic with pics on it; they are all over the place. Try "Pic. of Your Dogs" (I think that's the title, or close to it) in "Dog Breeds." Here's my photo album where you can check all my furkids. http://community.webshots.com/user/tatsxxx11 Big labbie hugs to Cody from me, Star and MY Cody! Hope to hear from you soon. Sandra

[This message has been edited by tatsxxx11 (edited May 04, 2001).]

jackiesdaisy1935
05-04-2001, 05:12 PM
Welcome Cheryl, if you love animals you have come to the right place. We put photos of our dogs on the forum every chance we get.
We had three Schnauzers, but Kona went to the rainbow bridge in October. Kona was 14 years old with severe arthritis. She could hardly get up and walk and spent just about all of her time laying down. We didn't know what to do for her so took her to the Vet, we knew she was getting old and wanted quality in the time she had left. The Vet
did prescribe Rimadyl and we couldn't believe the difference in her, she would actually run with the other two and she was more alert and seemed very happy, ate like a little pig. However it lasted for approx a year and then she went downhill very quickly.
The blood tests all came back fine, however she lost all control of her bodily functions., and she was in a lot of pain.
The Vet said there was nothing else he could do.
I don't know if the rimadyl had anything to do with her condition, but it did give her some time to enjoy her life and give us a little more precious time with her.
Jackie
http://schnauzerville.homestead.com/files/doggy8.gif
http://schnauzerville.homestead.com/files/schnauzer.gif

RachelJ
05-06-2001, 08:29 AM
When my Tizzie (Cockapoo, Rainbow Bridge) was up in years she too had arthritis. She had trouble getting up, couldn't tolerate a "sit" position, and occasionally her legs would give out lose the ability to hold her up, splaying out in different directions as she fell. It was so sad to see her so limited and having such difficulty. We tried the glucosamine and chrondrotin, aspirin, and the Rimadyl. Nothing seemed to make any difference. This was 3 years ago. Maybe there is something new on the market. The Drs. Foster and Smith catalog always seems to be advertising a number of products that portend to alleviate these type of symptoms.

Corinna
05-06-2001, 07:16 PM
I agree on the natural way for the arthrites I would take a accupressure course before accupincture. It is some thing you can do yourself then, less stressful at home than an office. I have heard stories of great results with Rimadyl but fast down hill when it starts. Leave it till toally last resort. Good luck

ownerof3dogs
05-08-2001, 09:05 PM
Are you positive it is athritis because it could also be Lyme Disease. It basically has the same symtoms.
I have seen alot of dogs that were thought to have arthritis but acually had Lyme.

cheryl
05-09-2001, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by tatsxxx11:
Dear Lab Loving Mom! I too am a lab mom; her name is Star and she is 2 years old. I also have a husky/shep named Cody!! Cody, who is 6, has hip dysplasia and severe arthritis in one hip joint. My beloved Jingles (yellow lab-Rainbow Bridge) also suffered from arthritis in her senior years. Like you, I shyed away from some of the stronger medications due to their potential toxicity, e.g. liver damage with the use of Rimadyl; especially in labs. With both Cody and Jingles, my vet instead prescribed precisely the course that you are currently on. Glucosamine/chondrotin supplement, ascriptin and regular moderate ambulation 3 times daily. Wading through "waist deep" water is ideal if that is possible. I also bought a good orthopedic bed which seems to help her greatly. I am currently considering massage therapy and researching the use of accupuncture. Where I live, both services are available at some of the veterinary clinics. With Cody, while she was by no means overweight, the vet suggested that she lose appx. 5 lbs.-on the thinner side-as minimal weight on the joint is ideal. She seems a lot more comfortable, although at times she still limps and hesitates when rising from a lying down position. It's so hard to see them begin to lose all that carefree abandon; running, chasing and jumping. Especially when you are owned by a playful, romping labbie http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif I hope your baby improves. The vet always trys to comfort me by saying that just as in humans, as our pups age, their joints become less flexible, a little painful...just like us. While the joint disintegration cannot be fully reversed, there are those things, such as those things you are doing, that can help to make them a lot more comfortable and active. What kind of food is he on? There are several good products that promote joint mobility. I also give Cody a kelp based treat, "Sea Jerky" purchased at my vets' which she adores and that the vet says is an good additional aid. Please let me know what your thoughts are. And if YOU hear of anything else that's helpful, please let ME know. I also want to say a big welcome to you. This is a wonderful forum; we are truly like family. Before long you will really get to know all the terrific members AND their furbabies! I hope you stick with us. I desperately need a fellow lab lover to compare "Nawteedawg" stories with. And no dog in "nawtee-er" than a lab http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif We all post pics of our kids here. Just hunt for a topic with pics on it; they are all over the place. Try "Pic. of Your Dogs" (I think that's the title, or close to it) in "Dog Breeds." Here's my photo album where you can check all my furkids. http://community.webshots.com/user/tatsxxx11 Big labbie hugs to Cody from me, Star and MY Cody! Hope to hear from you soon. Sandra

What a wonderful, warm welcome, Sandra! Thanks so much for your heartfelt reply. I am comforted by the number of folks who have dealt with this this- as Cody is my first dog to reach elder status, I am looking to make his passage into senior life as lovely as possible.
I will keep in touch- those darn labs- smart, sarcastic, oh-so-naughty, and the LOOKS! Oh my gosh, can he make em and give em! I don't know about your Star baby, but Cody makes up new games every 2-3 months. The newest is a game where I cover one paw with my hand, pretend to not notice, and he will "top" my hand with his paw, and this goes on and on until he tires of it. What a guy. Bless sweet Jingles for the joy she gave you, and a big hug to your Cody and Star. I will be sure to pass anything on I find to help- I am going to take another person's suggestion about water therapy. Water is a natural for these kids.
The food I feed is Nutros with Glucosamine, and is mainly lamb and rice. (He also has allergies to contend with) I will visit your URL to see the gang, and try to scan my pics and post soon. Take care, and thanks, Cheryl

cheryl
05-09-2001, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by jackiesdaisy1935:
Welcome Cheryl, if you love animals you have come to the right place. We put photos of our dogs on the forum every chance we get.
We had three Schnauzers, but Kona went to the rainbow bridge in October. Kona was 14 years old with severe arthritis. She could hardly get up and walk and spent just about all of her time laying down. We didn't know what to do for her so took her to the Vet, we knew she was getting old and wanted quality in the time she had left. The Vet
did prescribe Rimadyl and we couldn't believe the difference in her, she would actually run with the other two and she was more alert and seemed very happy, ate like a little pig. However it lasted for approx a year and then she went downhill very quickly.
The blood tests all came back fine, however she lost all control of her bodily functions., and she was in a lot of pain.
The Vet said there was nothing else he could do.
I don't know if the rimadyl had anything to do with her condition, but it did give her some time to enjoy her life and give us a little more precious time with her.
Jackie
http://schnauzerville.homestead.com/files/doggy8.gif
http://schnauzerville.homestead.com/files/schnauzer.gif

Thanks so much for writing with your sweet story about Kona. You did a great thing for her- and that last time to regain dignity and activity was so wonderful. Cheryl

cheryl
05-09-2001, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by RachelJ:
When my Tizzie (Cockapoo, Rainbow Bridge) was up in years she too had arthritis. She had trouble getting up, couldn't tolerate a "sit" position, and occasionally her legs would give out lose the ability to hold her up, splaying out in different directions as she fell. It was so sad to see her so limited and having such difficulty. We tried the glucosamine and chrondrotin, aspirin, and the Rimadyl. Nothing seemed to make any difference. This was 3 years ago. Maybe there is something new on the market. The Drs. Foster and Smith catalog always seems to be advertising a number of products that portend to alleviate these type of symptoms.

Hi, Rachel- I am actually in your neck of the woods- St. Charles! Thanks for writing, my heart goes out to you and Tizzie and the difficulty of the last times of her life. I actually order my Glucosamine from "the Docs", and I have considered some of the others as well. Thanks for the info. Rimadyl is definately going to be held as a last resort option.
Cheryl

cheryl
05-09-2001, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Corinna:
I agree on the natural way for the arthrites I would take a accupressure course before accupincture. It is some thing you can do yourself then, less stressful at home than an office. I have heard stories of great results with Rimadyl but fast down hill when it starts. Leave it till toally last resort. Good luck

Thanks, Corinna- I am actually thinking of some water therapy and after that the accupressure- there are some great facilities in and around Chicagoland. I really appreciate the honest comment about Rimadyl- I know it's a miracle drug with a price. Cheryl

cheryl
05-09-2001, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by ownerof3dogs:
Are you positive it is athritis because it could also be Lyme Disease. It basically has the same symtoms.
I have seen alot of dogs that were thought to have arthritis but acually had Lyme.

Great point. Both my guys have had tests and are ok. Thanks so much for writing. Cheryl

RachelJ
05-09-2001, 12:54 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by cheryl:
[B] Hi, Rachel- I am actually in your neck of the woods- St. Charles!

Yes, you are! What a nice surprise. Who are your Vets? We go to the Animal House Veterinary Hospital on 64.

cheryl
05-09-2001, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by RachelJ:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by cheryl:
[B] Hi, Rachel- I am actually in your neck of the woods- St. Charles!

Yes, you are! What a nice surprise. Who are your Vets? We go to the Animal House Veterinary Hospital on 64.

Us too. Have you seen the new construction? It'll give them some needed room, I think.
I am trying to move to Forest Park/Oak Park to be closer to work and to have more time with my doggie kids- - so I'll be looking for new vets out there if you have any reccos.

nsweezie
05-09-2001, 05:00 PM
My dog Pugsley has arthritis in one knee. When it is bothering her we put her in the bathtub with some warm water and let her soak. She loves it, and when she comes out of the tub she doesn't seem to be quite as stiff

RachelJ
05-09-2001, 08:35 PM
Forgive me everybody, but I just had to post this picture of one of our Vets, with my Hannah.

I don't know any Vets in the Oak Park area, but I bet Sophie's Daddy might. He's from Woodridge, which is real near there. He is a very helpful Pet Talk member. I think if you email him, he would gladly respond. Put that you are from Pet Talk in the subject line. Your reason for moving is an excellent one. I know exactly how you feel. And, duh, I really do know our Veterinary is on 38, not 64!

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=167892&a=2217296&p=22655731&sequence=o

cheryl
05-10-2001, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by nsweezie:
My dog Pugsley has arthritis in one knee. When it is bothering her we put her in the bathtub with some warm water and let her soak. She loves it, and when she comes out of the tub she doesn't seem to be quite as stiff

Thank you for writing. That is a great idea. I did notice that he enjoys warm baths- probably for the same reason! Take care.