cali
10-11-2003, 11:28 PM
happy thankgiving for all the other canadians here!:D

binka_nugget
10-12-2003, 12:07 AM
:D Happy turkey day!

Nomilynn
10-12-2003, 01:26 AM
Have a good one! Is anyone doing anything special? I'm going to my aunt's house tomorrow after work :)

binka_nugget
10-12-2003, 01:38 AM
I'm just going to take it easy and if I must, do some homework.

aly
10-12-2003, 03:35 AM
I'm not Canadian, but I think I'll celebrate anyway :p

primabella
10-12-2003, 07:08 AM
Happy Thanksgiving :)

I don't do anything special. We're probably going to have a chicken at supper (not even turkey) and we'll say grace out loud.

bluekat
10-12-2003, 08:51 AM
Happy Thanksgiving!!!:D
Hope you all have a wonderful thanksgiving. I think we're just going out to eat tomorrow night.

Cataholic
10-12-2003, 04:59 PM
Well, well, well, if it isn't a early thanksgiving for our Canadian friends...I am curious about the holiday in Canada. To me, and I think generally to Americans, Thanksgiving is kind of a major deal. I put it as the second biggest holiday, Christmas is first, then T-day, followed by, Easter, than, one of the three summer holidays..Mem, 4th, and Labor day.

How big is it in Canada? What is a typical feast? (won't I feel stupid when I realize it is the same as us..turkey, stuffing, crancrap, rolls, pies, and pecan tarts (that last one is just my family alone...he he).

tatsxxx11
10-12-2003, 05:19 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to all my Canadian friends and their families and critters! Hope, in the spirit of the holiday, the furry ones will also partake in the grand repast!:) What are the origins of your holiday? What foods are traditional?? I believe it was Abraham Lincoln who proclaimed the last Thurs. in Nov. be set aside for "giving thanks" in the U.S...can't remember the year...1865??

Cataholic..."Crancrap???" ROTFLOL!! The pilgrims are twirling in their graves! (I know, they didn't eat "crancrap!":D)

I live in the home of the original Thanksgiving! Actually it's Plymouth, MA, just a bit away, but the Pilgrims DID land on Cape Cod first!! lol! Here's it's a major, major deal! Some years we celebrate by attending an "original feast," put on at Plimoth Plantation, the first home of the Pilgirms! No stuffing or string bean casserole though...not authentic:D

binka_nugget
10-12-2003, 05:35 PM
Around here, thanksgiving isn't a huge deal but of course, it's still celebrated. My family used to get together every thanksgiving for a big feast with all my cousins, aunts, uncles, and all the dogs. But a few years ago, our family kind of went through some rough times that resulted in half the family not talking to the other half. *shrugs*

Crancrap eh? Yep, we have that too lol. When we got together, we usually had Turkey, "crancrap", yams, stuffing, veggies, gravy, and a whole bunch of other goodies.

cali
10-12-2003, 05:45 PM
lol yes about the same as the states but its not that big a deal here, ya go home have some checken, or turkey and crancrap, and potatos, then a nice yummy desert! at my house we have a jello triffle(jellyroll cake base, jello and whipped cream):D

rg_girlca
10-12-2003, 05:49 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to you too Cali and all the other Canadians here.

Yes Cataholic we basically have all the same trimmings as you, except pecan tarts, we have pumpkin pie with whipped cream.
Mind you i've never heard of cranberry referred to as crancrap before. LOL Must remember that one though for when my sons come over for turkey dinner tomorrow.

"Hey guys, anyone for CRANCRAP."
Has a certain ring to it, don't ya think?:D

Cataholic
10-12-2003, 06:44 PM
Please, all, except my apologizes for the irreverent use of the word "crancrap". I hate all the stuff, unless it is what I make, which is FANTASTIC... and, even without being asked, I am sharing the recipe...

2 bags of whole frozen cranberries, into the food processor, and whirred a minute. Add about 1 cup of chunk pineapple, maybe 2 cans of mandarin oranges, and a cut up granny smith apple or two. Whir another minute. Add about 8 packets of sweet and low (or, if cancer is worrying you, 1 cup of sugar). Whir again.

Wa'la...very tasty cranberry relish!

mugsy
10-12-2003, 06:49 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to the Canadians!!

Jo, the Pilgrims didn't eat Crancrap either...no sugar so they were too tart. They also ate more eel than they did turkey and they didn't have sweet potatoes or mashed potatoes because they hadn't been brought to America yet. How disappointing is THAT!?

Enjoy your Thanksgiving guys....ours is coming....

Crikit
10-12-2003, 07:44 PM
Happy Gobble Gobble everyone. We're having some Turkey tomorrow with our typical fixin's ie. turkey, mashed potatos, peas, carrots, cranberry sauce (mom has the cranberries cooling by the window) brussel sprouts, yams, brocolli caserole and other such nummies ooo and home made pie.

Other then the Turkey though my family doesn't do all that much, depending on what's happening in our lifes we have some friends and extended family over for supper but we aren't doing that this year.

Aspen and Misty
10-12-2003, 09:12 PM
HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

Ash

slick
10-12-2003, 10:39 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to you too!! I'm at my brother's right now and just finished dinner. I don't get along with them very well or their hoytie toytie friends so I've escaped to the basement to log on here. Don't eat too much turkey guys.

rg_girlca
10-12-2003, 11:05 PM
Omg Slick, I had to post again after seeing you write hoytie toytie friends. It's been sooooo long since I've heard those words from someone else. Whenever I would use those words, my sons would look at me like I was from another plant. LOL

micki76
10-13-2003, 08:34 AM
http://d21c.com/AnnesPlace/Thanks/HapThanks7.gif

catland
10-13-2003, 10:39 AM
Happy turkey day. Down here in the states we've fanagled Thanksgiving to fall on a Thursday so that we can get a four day holiday out of it. ;)

So I have a question for our friends in the north.

For us, the day after is the official beginning of the Christmas shopping season, so does this mean that you get to start shopping early?:eek: :p

slick
10-13-2003, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by rg_girlca
Omg Slick, I had to post again after seeing you write hoytie toytie friends. It's been sooooo long since I've heard those words from someone else. Whenever I would use those words, my sons would look at me like I was from another plant. LOL
Well, let me explain. Last night's Thanksgiving dinner at my brother's was really painful. You see, they are very rich and have a lot of very very rich friends and last night they not only had the family there but their rich rich friends, all who look down at us pee-ons and ask "so where do you spend the winters?" God I hate them and the only reason why I went was because of my neice. She's leaving for Zurich again on Oct 25th and I wanted to see her. I literally spent the last hour down in the basement with the cats while 15 drunken people were upstairs. They didn't even notice I was missing.

Hoytie Toytie indeed....

Catland: Most Canuckleheads will say that Christmas shopping should not start until after Halloween, but I'm the exception. I love Christmas and usually put up my Christmas lights on a sunny weekend on November. I usually start shopping right about now and try to get it all finished by the end of November.

catland
10-13-2003, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by slick
God I hate them and the only reason why I went was because of my neice...

I have the same situation with my sister, I only tolerate her because of her kids.

I love Christmas and usually put up my Christmas lights on a sunny weekend on November.

you have sunny weekends in November?:eek: :eek:

I usually start shopping right about now and try to get it all finished by the end of November.

Where's the fun in that? No last minute panic? No stress? No battling the crowds?;)

slick
10-13-2003, 12:38 PM
I should clarify that I don't hate them because they are rich, but because they act rich. You can have alot of money but still have your feet firmly planted on the ground and show come compassion. These friends of theirs lack both.

Actually our winters here are very mild because of the coast. We get more rain and less snow. Last year it snowed once on Dec 24th for about 2 hrs, then it warmed up and the snow was all gone by the evening. Yes, we do get the occasional sunny crisp day in Nov. which I take advantage off. A few years ago I waited too long and ended up on my balcony on a rainy, cold, windy day to put up the light. Never again. My neighbours think I'm nuts because I have my lights lit from Nov 30 to Jan 31...:eek: and I put up my tree at the end of Nov. (artificial).

Actually, I'm on a day off now but came in to work to post pictures of my cone. Imagestation is very slow today. Watch for posting about Gilbert :)

binka_nugget
10-13-2003, 12:51 PM
Lol, I haven't seen snow in such a long time. It's been a while since I last had snow come up to my knees (of course, I was alot younger/shorter). I remember a couple years ago when we actually did have snow...I kept focusing on not slipping on my bum while walking to school. Great fun.

anna_66
10-13-2003, 01:58 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to all my Canadian friends!

Crikit
10-13-2003, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by binka_nugget
Lol, I haven't seen snow in such a long time. It's been a while since I last had snow come up to my knees (of course, I was alot younger/shorter). I remember a couple years ago when we actually did have snow...I kept focusing on not slipping on my bum while walking to school. Great fun.

Lucky you, last time there was snow up to my knees was last may when we had a snow storm. In fact I can't really remember a year when there hasn't been at least one snowfall that had snow past my kness. One of the joys of living in Calgary I guess.