PDA

View Full Version : please help!!!!parvo!!!!!

delidog
09-03-2001, 06:20 PM
as i am a volunteer....yesterday, i took a dog who was deathly ill ffrom the shelter to a vet....there was nobody there with either a license,proper tags,etc....so i did it...i sat with this poor dog for 4 hours...waiting to be looked at...i called today to find that the dog has parvo.....when i came home ...before i even gave delilah a pet iwashed my hands and arms with antibacterial soap....just incase....she has been vaccinated for everything....yet when i look up the parvo virous...it says it is highly contagious.....did i do something wrong???? do i need to have delilah checked...please if anyone has info let me know...i couldn't live with the fact that i caused delilah harm!!!!!!! the deli dog :( :eek: :( :eek:

lizbud
09-03-2001, 06:54 PM
Delidog.. No I don't think you did anything
wrong!!If your dog gets annual vacs for Rabies, Parvo, etc..
Wouldn't hurt to tell your vet about this experience b/c her vet
will know Your dog's specific needs..

delidog
09-03-2001, 07:13 PM
thank you...i need someone to make me feel better...could i have been so stupid?????yjr deli dog :(

jackiesdaisy1935
09-03-2001, 08:28 PM
oh DeliDog your not stupid you are so caring of all animals, if we could only take care and find homes and cure them all what a wonderful world this would be. I don't feel that you put Delilah in harm, but as Liz said it would be smart to check with your Vet to make sure he knows and maybe take any steps he felt should be necessary. You are a good person to help that dog out and so caring.
Jackie

joycenalex
09-03-2001, 10:06 PM
delidog, maybe you would consider wearing a special set of clothes and shoes to the shelter, and changing before you get home, putting your 'shelter clothes' in a closed bag in the trunk of your car.
i'm sure that that poor dog was happy to have a loving human sitting next to them while they waited. blessings on you for your compassion. best wishes,

joycenalex
09-03-2001, 10:07 PM
delidog, maybe you would consider wearing a special set of clothes and shoes to the shelter, and changing before you get home, putting your 'shelter clothes' in a closed bag in the trunk of your car.
i'm sure that that poor dog was happy to have a loving human sitting next to them while they waited. blessings on you for your compassion. best wishes,

delidog
09-04-2001, 04:55 AM
thank you all for your kind words and thoughts...i will bring a change of clothes from now on....good idea!!!..that poor dog had 8 puppies that are now being bottlefed...i hope that no other dog in the shelter contracts this...as she was not isloated....i will call my vet this a.m....the deli dog :)

Gio
09-04-2001, 06:27 AM
I think that a change of clothes is the best. The shelter where my sister volunteers (they have mainly cats and wild animals) provides them with uniforms similar to those used by ambulance men since they also need to answer calls and go an rescue animals. In spite of that she changes the clothes she wears underneath before she goes home and keeps a pair of shoes that she only wears at the shelter. (They also wear those slip on disposable slipper type things if they need to enter an infected area). Perhaps she takes it a bit too far but she washes both the uniform and the other clothes separately adding some disinfectant to the usual washing powder. I would do the same, better be safe than sorry!

[ September 04, 2001: Message edited by: Gio ]

TollSettFK
09-04-2001, 07:52 AM
You can't give the dog the disease, so be at rest. Parvo comes from not having ALL his shots, nad then being in a place where a lot of other dogs who didn't have thier shots either, come to a lot. It is carried form dog to dog. Not human to dog. So let your mind be at ease.

Daisy's Mom
09-04-2001, 03:14 PM
Don't worry, delidog! From what everyone else says, Delilah should be okay! And you are most certainly not stupid! You are so compassionate and caring! Spending your long weekend helping out a very sick dog is absolutely not stupid at all.

Snowy's Mommy
09-04-2001, 03:23 PM
Hi Deli,

I just want to say that I think you did a wonderful thing, taking the sick dog to the vet!

You are a very compassionate person.

catwoman
09-04-2001, 05:07 PM
Delidog, all strays should be lucky enough to find their way into your shelter! You are wonderful!

I'm glad Delilah is not at risk, and hope that the mommy dog and her litter are going to be okay ...

Catwoman

tatsxxx11
09-04-2001, 05:22 PM
Delidog....All those poor, homeless babies are so lucky to have someone like you to show such incredible caring and concern. Just check with your vet about all the details re: parvo to put your mind at rest...Thank for caring for this beautiful, sick, pup. I hope the precious puppies are doing well. Sandra