PDA

View Full Version : Biting!

budgies4ever
10-11-2003, 11:57 AM
I have a six week old budgie named Rico, and he keeps biting!! I give him time-outs when he does this, but when I take him out again he just starts biting again! What should I do?¿:confused::( :(

11-05-2003, 02:24 PM
I really want a budgie. Or parakeet. Right? Well, anyway, I think I know what to do. Does he fly away from you? If he does, when he is on your finger, take your other hand and VERY GENTLY cover his back so he cannot fly away. Now, for the biting. He might be biting you because he is hungry. When you have him out, put him on you bed (or her). Then, put some food near him (or her).

If he is not hungry, maybe his beak (or whatever its called) is overgrown. Try puting some bird chew toys in his cage. If that does not help or you have already tried it, I am sorry, but I don't know what to do. I hope I was some help!

Jeannie121212

horsesroxandsodobirds
11-26-2003, 06:48 AM
Hi i have had birds all my life and it sound like the i have to be the boss stage when he bite say no sharply and genly tap cross the beack then wait 2mins if he bites agin do it gain and gain till he lern biting no acceptal i have done it with cockatoos weerios and a couple of bugies and remember when he dosen't bite u prasie him immerdely as it renforcing that he will get hit if he bite and praise if he good and he bound to want prasie hope it helps
Amy :)

IagoIRN
12-02-2003, 03:14 AM
Hello there, I have had buggies or parakeets before, and when we would hold them they would bite our hand and fingers or what ever they could get their beaks on. Saying NO and tapping the beak lightly is a good start; letting the bird know that this is not the type of behavior that is allowed. More or less the bird is just trying to get out of your grasp, thats what mine would do, and yes on accassion would bite hard enough to draw blood. if you still want to hold your bird but wanting to avoid the little sharp beak, try holding your bird on your chest head facing towards you, so the bird will grab the material from your shirt instead of your hand. If you are still getting bit on the hand, try wraping your hand with a wash cloth and holding your bird so he/she will only bite the washcloth.

Most birds will bite when being restrained/held because they feel that they are in danger, and first instinctive reaction is to try and get away. Try talking to your bird getting it to calm down letting the bird know your not going to hurt him/her, pet here praise the bird say good boy or girl. Only use the NO word as punishment. With buggies and parakeets this training will take time and purssute, 10 min every 2 hrs or so.;) I hope this helps you remember don't give up it will be a frustrating and long wait for your perssistance to show, but in time your patience and traning will soon pay off. I know I am working with a Indian Ringneck Parrot and I am now just getting him use to stepping up on my hand and I have had him for almost 3 months and felt that I wasn't getting anywhere!!!

Don't forget the "TLC" after training, giving your buddy space after the 10min training:D :D If you need any more advice e-mail me at [email protected]

Lots of luck to yah,

Natalie and Iago:)

fidgetyfidget
12-02-2003, 08:58 PM
It takes several months to establish a good bond with a bird. I have a 7 month old budgie named Sweetpea. I got her when she was 13 weeks old. She recently just stopped biting me. When your budie bites your hand, just tough it out and leave your hand near him/her. Once they realize YOUR the dominant one, they will quit eventually. LOL. It is also a good idea to teach your budie the "up" command at an early age. Birds are smarter than the actual credibility we give them. And they need to know who is running the show. When your bird does something you want them to, give them a lot of praise. They will get the picture only in time.

budgies4ever
01-19-2004, 08:32 AM
Ya I taught my budgie the up command when we was 4 weeks old and now he like jumps onto my finger.LOL