PDA

View Full Version : Spay question, I'm worried :(

micki76
10-10-2003, 08:32 PM
My sister in law had her dog spayed yesterday and she’s still not herself. My question is how long should it take before she’s back to normal? I’ve never had a dog spayed (mine have always already been spayed) so I don’t know what to tell her.
Princess is hiding in her crate and under the bed and won’t go outside. She’s shaking a lot and walks with her tail between her legs. Is any of this normal? Shouldn’t she be better by now? She’s going to call the emergency vet, but I thought I’d ask y’all in the mean time.

tikeyas_mom
10-10-2003, 08:34 PM
tikeya acted alot like that to after she was spayed, dont worrie she will be back to normal in a couple days a week at the latest ;) ...

GoldenRetrLuver
10-10-2003, 09:00 PM
Mine were very sore for a couple days. Just give it some time, and she'll be good as new. :)

Twisterdog
10-10-2003, 09:34 PM
Some dogs handle pain, anesthetic and fear better than others. If her dog is sore, groggy and somewhat frightened about her experience, this could very well be normal behavior.

However, I would rule out physical problems first. Look for excessive swelling, redness or drainage, as well as stitches that have ripped out. Take her temperature, and monitor how much she is drinking and urinating. It's ok if she doesn't eat for a day or two, but if she's not drinking or peeing, or has a fever, I'd get her to the vet ASAP.

Amber
10-10-2003, 09:46 PM
She should be Ok. katie was pretty shook up when she got home after beind spayed, I remember she didnt wanna do anything for a couple of days but then she bounced right up and started acting herself.

slleipnir
10-10-2003, 09:51 PM
I think its normal..just give her time to heel and she'll be ok. Josie was hyper as ever when we took her home..it was crazy..I was afraid she'd pull a stich :x

micki76
10-10-2003, 10:07 PM
Thanks guys. :) She hasn't eaten or drank hardly anything, but doesn't have a temp.

There's no swelling or redness, but she is extremely tender. I understand her pain, though. I was pitiful after my hysterectomy. We're just a bit worried about her, but the vet said pretty much the same stuff ya'll did. Hopefully she'll be back to her old mischievous self soon. ;)