PDA

View Full Version : Need Prayers!

luckies4me
10-10-2003, 04:36 PM
I talked to my mother on the phone today. As if I don't have enough things to worry about. I have decided to put my rat breeding on hold until I can sort through this awful mess that is my life.

My mother went into the doc's to have a mammagram done. Bad news. :( They found two dark spots that they are worried about. I told my mom not to worry until she knows for sure. She has always had fibrous tissue so it could be nothing but I could hear the panic in her voice. Now it's all talk about life insurance, if my brother and sister would have to go back to their real dad if my mom dies (which I would NEVER let happen! He's crazy and they are better off with me!.....but wouldn't they be able to stay with my stepdad Denny since he is married to my mom and their adopted father?) and how they need to write a will and stuff like that. Things I do not want to hear!

They are going to do an xray and an ultrasound in about three weeks as they need to have permission from the healthcare agency. :mad: She could have cancer, and they want her to wait! I hate how they do this to people. Just like my dad and his legs, which I believe could have been saved had the stupid a$$ insurance done something sooner.

So now it's just a waiting period, the worst part, the waiting. This brings new fear into my life as I now might have to worry about getting breast cancer later on in life. I hope that if she has cancer she caught it in time. I can't imagine what I would do if Il ost my mom. :( I don't even want to think about it. She must be so scared, I can imagine. Please send prayers for my mom, that she does not have cancer, and if she does that she will be one of those survivors everyone talks about. I do not want to see someone go through chemo etc. I told her to just chop her boobs off! Heck, what am I supposed to say? I have no idea.

I hope she went in time, please pray she did. :(

Thank you in advance, I know Pet Talk prayers work miracles.

binka_nugget
10-10-2003, 04:48 PM
:( I'm sorry to hear this. Your family will be in my prayers. I really hope she doesn't have cancer...please keep us updated.

bluekat
10-10-2003, 04:49 PM
:( :( :( I'm so sorry to hear that your mom isn't doing well:( Well, I'll be praying, I hope you come back with good news soon:)

momoffuzzyfaces
10-10-2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by luckies4me

They are going to do an xray and an ultrasound in about three weeks as they need to have permission from the healthcare agency. :mad: She could have cancer, and they want her to wait! I hate how they do this to people. Just like my dad and his legs, which I believe could have been saved had the stupid a$$ insurance done something sooner.

Prayers on the way for your mom and whole family.

I totally understand the anger with the insurance companies. My mother had a valve that was semi squashed in her heart due to a childhood illness. In the early 1960s, heart surgery was almost unheard of. I knew there was a delay getting her to the KU Med center in Kansas City but never knew why until a few years ago. Turns out the heart valve replacement surgery that could have saved her life was considered a trial procedure and the insurance company would not cover it. The hospital would not operate without the insurance. When Dad promised to sue the insurance company and the med center, they admitted her but it was too late. She died just because they wouldn't ok to pay the bill. What's even sadder, the operation she needed is so routine today, it's almost outpatient procedure. I grew up without my mother thanks to an insurance companies stupidity. :mad:

luckies4me
10-10-2003, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by momoffuzzyfaces
Prayers on the way for your mom and whole family.

I totally understand the anger with the insurance companies. My mother had a valve that was semi squashed in her heart due to a childhood illness. In the early 1960s, heart surgery was almost unheard of. I knew there was a delay getting her to the KU Med center in Kansas City but never knew why until a few years ago. Turns out the heart valve replacement surgery that could have saved her life was considered a trial procedure and the insurance company would not cover it. The hospital would not operate without the insurance. When Dad promised to sue the insurance company and the med center, they admitted her but it was too late. She died just because they wouldn't ok to pay the bill. What's even sadder, the operation she needed is so routine today, it's almost outpatient procedure. I grew up without my mother thanks to an insurance companies stupidity. :mad:

I can't believe that! :mad: I thought it was the law that hospitals have to treat patients even if they cannot afford to pay for it? I am sorry to hear about your mom. :( I don't understand how they can just let someone die and not treat them. It's all about money it seems.

slick
10-10-2003, 05:01 PM
For your Mom's sake you've got to stay positive. You don't even know anything yet so there's no sense worrying about something that may not happen. I know that's easier said than done. And all this talk about who lives with who and wills and stuff must be very scary for you.

Remember Richard's thread about HOPE yesterday? Life throws us some hurdles and it's my believe that we are never handed more than we can cope with. It's true that if breast cancer runs in the family then you are at high risk. Does your Mom have any relatives who had BC?? If not, then try to stay calm and perhaps do as much Internet research as you can.

Every day they are making progress in BC treatment and I myself have known many BC survivors. There is HOPE. My prayers go out to you and your Mom, and yes you are right, PT prayers do work miracles.

Hugs to you and remember we are here for your 24/7.

momoffuzzyfaces
10-10-2003, 05:21 PM
I can't believe that! :mad: I thought it was the law that hospitals have to treat patients even if they cannot afford to pay for it? I am sorry to hear about your mom. :( I don't understand how they can just let someone die and not treat them. It's all about money it seems.
The state of Kansas can or at least used to let the hospitals refuse to treat anyone without insurance. I hope they've changed that now but really don't know.
What was so maddening in Mom's case, we had insurance but they refused to pay for 'experimental' surgery. Yep, it's all about money. :(

lizbud
10-10-2003, 08:22 PM

They are going to do an xray and an ultrasound in about three weeks as they need to have permission from the healthcare agency. :mad: She could have cancer, and they want her to wait! .

If something strange turns up on a Mamogram, the standard
practice is to do a biopsy of the tissue involved. It can be done
under a " local" anesthetic & you'd have results in a few days.
I wonder why they would have your mother wait for tests that
might not be conclusive? Is it her insurance or her doctor?

I'm a seven year survivor of Breast Cancer & this doesn't seem
to be the way my doctors went about confirming the disease.
I will hope for the best for your mom.

RubyMutt
10-10-2003, 08:28 PM

The same thing happened to my boyfriend's grandmother. She was recently diagnosed with breast cancer and needed surgery. She had to wait A MONTH before her health insurance oked it! :mad: grrr :mad: I'm so sorry your family has to go through that :(

I'm sending positive thoughts to you, your mother, and the rest of your family! Please keep us posted on how she's doing.

luckies4me
10-10-2003, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by lizbud
If something strange turns up on a Mamogram, the standard
practice is to do a biopsy of the tissue involved. It can be done
under a " local" anesthetic & you'd have results in a few days.
I wonder why they would have your mother wait for tests that
might not be conclusive? Is it her insurance or her doctor?

I'm a seven year survivor of Breast Cancer & this doesn't seem
to be the way my doctors went about confirming the disease.
I will hope for the best for your mom.

I think they want to do an ultrasound to determine if it is something to worry about before doing anything furthur? Again I am not sure as I am just relaying what my mother told me. I am not sure if she has a private doctor or not. I just know they want to do an ultrasound and xrays? I know of people who have had ultrasounds to detect cancer, and I am sure if they have any more fears of that they will go in and remove tissue. But I am hoping that is not the case. My family is prone to cysts, mom has had one on her back that was removed about a year ago that was about the size of a quarter. It was on her spine. I too have had several cysts, but the biggest was a huge one on my neck area which had to be removed when I was a baby. I still have a scar but it's shrank since so many years have gone by.

Felicia's Mom
10-10-2003, 09:18 PM
Your family will be in my prayers. I'm sorry your mom has to go through this.:( :(

popcornbird
10-11-2003, 01:40 AM
I'll be praying your mom is alright and doesn't have cancer. :( Your mom is young (50 right?) and I hope she'll be just fine. Good luck to your mom and dad and family. Cancer is a horrible thing, and I'm praying it doesn't affect your mom or anyone for that matter. Good luck and keep us updated!

tomkatzid
10-11-2003, 02:03 AM
My last mamagram was that way too. The tech tells me to wait while she goes to look at the xrays. She came back in and said they needed to redo the right side. I'm fighting tears. I wait again and this time when she returns she showed me a black mass. But says she thinks it's OK, tissue, and nothing to worry about. 2 weeks later they call and want me back. The Dr. looked at it and wants them done again. This time I had an ultra sound too. Still the black mass, about the size of a 50cent pc. I can see it on the xrays. I'm fighting tears again. The ultra sound looked way different, I couldn't make heads or tails of it. The Dr. said he thinks it's nothing to worry about and wants to re do it in 6 mths. I skipped 1 yr of getting a check up so I was scared. You can clearly see it on the xray, the ultra sounds shows something different. Tissue up against the chest cavity, he said.
Just because they see something doesn't mean it's cancer. It can be several things, none of which is life threatening. Have faith.
Praying your Mom is Happy and Healthy;)
Katz

luckies4me
10-11-2003, 11:08 AM
Thank you so much TomKatzid. I hope my mom is ok, but I will not worry until I know for sure it is something to worry about.......but of course, I do worry a little. Like I said, she has very fibrous breast tissue so it could just be that, or a cyst. I am hoping for the best. Thank you all for your support, it really means a lot to me.

luckies4me
10-11-2003, 11:08 AM
When are you supposed to get your first mammagram??

Albea
10-11-2003, 12:28 PM
When are you supposed to get your first mammagram??

Go to the American Cancer Society website to find an answer to your question:
http://www.cancer.org/docroot/home/index.asp

I hope the results of your mom's tests don't show anything serious. Prayers are on their way for her and your family.

ChrisH
10-11-2003, 01:02 PM
Sending prayers and positive thoughts for your mum.

Chris

carole
10-11-2003, 08:27 PM
Luckie4me I have just sent you a pm, hope this helps, but just wanted to say, have faith, it is hopefully only a benign cyst.

It is recommended that all women 40 and up have yearly mammograms and then I think it is 2 yearly from 50 onwards, if you mother is diagnosed you will have to ask when you should have yours, I don't think it is wise to have them earlier than 40 because the breast tissue is different, and can often have readings that are not right.

Don't dispair, my mum is a survivor, a very recent one, of this dreaded disease, so don't give up hope.

I find your health system strange, here in NZ having private medical insurance, means that you ususally donot have to wait for anything, my mother had her mammogram and ultrasound on the same day, a week later her hookwire and surgery, we pay for it and then we are re-eimbursed, in some cases the insurance will pay up first, that is why I have been able to get my daughter seen to so quick because I went privately, waiting for the hospital could take months, my mother did however have to wait almost 2mths for her radiation therapy, because it is only done at the hospital, not available privately.

I know how worried you are and how you feel, let us hope all turns out positively. TAKE CARE ok. and be strong for your mother, she will need you right now, no matter what the results are ok., be her rock, but have someone to be there for you, I am always here if ya need me ok.

luckies4me
10-11-2003, 09:14 PM
Thank you so much, I sent a reply to your message. :)

I talked to my mom online today. She is VERY scared, you can "hear" it in her typing, if you know what I mean. That's all she is talking about now. Lucky for me I can just change the subject, or at least try to. Talking about Dylan takes her mind off it for a bit anyway. It looks like I most likely willbe going to California in the beginning of November now. My mom doesn't want to come until she finds out, that's just the way she is.

But you know what? I know for a fact she is scared because today she told me she loved me, and she never does that. She's just not that way, you would have to know her. But today she told me, and I was like "WOW", because now I really know she is thinking she's going to die. How do I try to calm her down? She just keeps talking about health insurance and how she got seperate cancer insurance. Oh and this part was funny, but she said she has the Duck insurance, you know AAFFFLLLAAACCC! LOL She spelt it that way and it was pretty funny. I just don't know what to do to make her feel better and to not worry so much. :( I wish I could get her over here so she could talk to others that have been in this situation, so I am going to try to get her to join.....again.

luckies4me
10-11-2003, 09:17 PM
I just remembered something and thought I would share. :)

When I was younger my mom used to bend me over like how Dracula does when he bites the girls, and she would go "Kiss me Baby" and kiss me all over. :D hehe just a little memory.

carole
10-11-2003, 09:39 PM
luckies4me, I have sent you a reply, my advice is to let her talk about it as much as she want's to, sure by all means, help her to think about other things as well, like her grandson, but just let her talk and talk about it , if that is what she needs.

It is hard for you because you are not close by, just listen, and be as positive as you can with her, you know I will be thinking of you.
Here for ya anytime ok.