PDA

View Full Version : URGENT... very bad ear ache

ilovehounds
08-29-2001, 07:31 PM
My mothers Sheltie has a very bad ear ache.
It started yesterday evening, I used Hannah's ear solution to clean it and he went nuts, and yelped in pain. He has never had ear problems and they are always properly clean. He cried and winned in pain all night. We called the vets and he can't get in till tomorrow afternoon.

I have put warmed mineral oil in his ear and that has helped alot, but its still sore. Can we give dogs asprin or tylonal to kill the pain ??? I know one is bad for them but I can't remember wich one. We want him to be able to sleep pain free tonight.

Any help would be great they go to bed at 10:00 so I was hoping to find out before then.

Thanks in advance
Angie and my moms boy Tucker

lizbud
08-29-2001, 07:41 PM
My dog takes enteric coated aspirin twice
a day, but doseage depends on the dogs body
weight. If you think it's REALLY bad you
might want to take the dog to one of those
24 hour Emergency Vet Hospitals to get
checked out by a vet sooner.

3-greys-and-a-mutt
08-29-2001, 07:43 PM
We give our 20-lb Pup one baby aspirin if she's had a rough day and her hips are aching. This is done upon the vet's recommendation.
However, I don't know if aspirin is safe in larger quantities?
Okay, I checked in my doggy First Aid book, and it says that "Never give your pets any unprescribed medication without consulting a vetrinarian. Over-the-counter medications for humans, such as ibuprofan and acetiminophen (Tylenol), are toxic to pets!"

ilovehounds
08-29-2001, 07:56 PM
Thanks guys, you are the best. Mom should have baby asprin she could give him.

We unfortunatly don't have a 24 hour emergancy vet :( we live in a very small town and travel half an hour out of town to go to our wonderful vet (we don't like the vets in our town).

I'll pass your advice along and hopefully she will be able to give him some relief until tomorrow.

Thanks

Cinder & Smoke
08-29-2001, 07:59 PM
Angie ~

Here's a link to the Drs Foster & Smith page that deals with aspirin:

http://www.petinfocenter.com/pharmacy/aspirin.htm

It doesn't mention "ear problems", but maybe it will help. The do stress "aspirin" only, some of the other human pain releavers can be fatal to dogs.

Good luck with the ear!

ilovehounds
08-29-2001, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the link, very helpfull :D

I told her and she only has regular asprin not childrens. She said he is doing better, he only cries if he happens to roll over on that ear, poor little guy :(

RachelJ
08-29-2001, 08:17 PM
Of course I knew you had a Hannah, and I see you have a Tucker in the family as well. My Hannah and my Tucker hope that your mom's Tucker will get this resolved quickly.

When Hannah was a puppy she was diagnosed by her vet with ear mites. He gave her medicine and said how often to use it. She started really resisting the medication being put in her ears, and then she got very sick. I later noticed the directions on the medication were much less frequent than how often the vet said to use it. It was one of those situations where the treatment made the situation worse instead of better. I don't use that Vet anymore and I have an appreciation of my own reading of my dog's responses more than ever.

tatsxxx11
08-30-2001, 06:51 PM
How is Tucker doing???? Poor little guy. Ear aches can be so painful. I hope he got an appt. with your vet. and is feeling better. Please give him our love, lots of hugs and kisses and well wishes. Love, Sandra, Star and Cody

Daisy's Mom
08-31-2001, 01:23 AM
How is sweet Tucker doing today? Did the baby aspirin help? Any sweet pup with my last name should never have to feel pain ;) Poor pup! Keep us posted, Angie!

ilovehounds
08-31-2001, 12:20 PM
He is doing much better, the asprin didn't help and when he went to the vets we found out why.

Get this how he did it is still unknown but he has always been a little different :) in a good way. He had a piece of pine cone stuck in his ear ?????? it was dried out and had sharp edges so thats why he was in so much pain, but when I put warm minerial oil in his ear it soften it a bit and gave him some relief. Luckily the vets got it out with very little trouble. His ear is scratched in side so its still a bit sore. He has some cream to help heal it up.

I took Hannah to the vets with him for friendly support :) I told my mom we have to stop at Berry's (Hannah's Fave Store) to get him a good boy treat. Hannah showed him around and took him to all the good treats.

http://wsphotofews.excite.com/001/PZ/1x/54/4b42478.jpg
This is Tucker, he thanks you all :D

[ August 31, 2001: Message edited by: ilovehounds ]

tatsxxx11
08-31-2001, 01:16 PM
Tucker! However did you manage that! :eek: Sounds like you stole a move from my Star's playbook :D I'm so glad that you are well on the road to recovery, and that your sweet little ear will heal quickly! And I must say...you are one beautiful pup!! Get well hugs and kisses to you Tucker :)

3-greys-and-a-mutt
08-31-2001, 01:35 PM
My gosh, that took some talent, getting that in there!
Glad he's feeling better!

RachelJ
08-31-2001, 03:41 PM
Oh, I am so glad that the problem has been resolved and the oh so beautiful Tucker's ear will be feeling much much better now. What a relief to have the problem being something simple and so easily dealt with.

Thanks for posting Tucker's picture.

Daisy's Mom
08-31-2001, 06:38 PM
Oh poor Tucker? How ever did he manage to get a pine cone stuckin his ear? Poor baby! I am glad he is feeling better. What a gorgeous doggy he is!

lizbud
08-31-2001, 07:26 PM
ilovehounds.. SO GLAD to hear that Tucker
will be alright!!!Pine Cone You say???
I'm happy he's feeling better now.
Thanks for posting his picture. Tucker is
Beautiful!!!

KYS
08-31-2001, 09:54 PM
I guess we will never now how
he managed to get a pine cone stuck
in his ear. Poor thing, it's a good thing
you got him to the vet. It must have
been very painful for him
Glad he is alright.
Sending hugs his way.

Karen
08-31-2001, 10:13 PM
I immediately thought of how the pine cone piece got in his ear. Pine pitch is sticky, so I bet he had it stuck to the bottom of his foot, then when he got an itchy ear - minor itchies just happen - he scratched it with that foot, and the transfer was unknowingly made!

ilovehounds
09-01-2001, 10:20 AM
Thats sounds good to me Karen :) It was just a small piece of pine cone. The property is covered in pine trees and squirels have alot of pine cones chewed up in small pieces so that must be what happened. We have comed out alot of sticky pieces out of that huge main of his.

He's feeling great today, its really cool outside here so we just came back from a big walk in the bush me and 5 dogs :) we scare the wildlife away :)

Dixieland Dancer
09-01-2001, 01:07 PM
Tucker you are beautiful! So glad your feeling better. :)