PDA

View Full Version : Horse Dentist Pics

dukedogsmom
10-09-2003, 06:53 PM
Today was past time for his teeth to be done so we finally got the dentist to come out. Horse's teeth keep growing so they have to be filed down about every 9 months. And it's really important for them when they are older horses. He had to be sedated as the electric tools are noisy and they don't really like their teeth being "floated" is what it's called. I have never figured out why it's called that. Anyway, thought you might like the pics. It's really interesting to watch.
http://www.boomspeed.com/dukedogsmom/horsedentist1.jpg
http://www.boomspeed.com/dukedogsmom/horsedentist2.jpg
Here's my friend's horse in the process.
http://www.boomspeed.com/dukedogsmom/dixie1.jpg
And, there was a new calf laying down with her mother but by the time I got out the camera, they were walking away. It was so cute that I had to get a pic of it.
http://www.boomspeed.com/dukedogsmom/babycow1.jpg
Hope you enjoyed!

Nibbles
10-09-2003, 07:29 PM
How totally interesting. A horse dentist who'da thought?

wolfsoul
10-09-2003, 07:34 PM
Wow, that's really neat, thanks for sharing! :)

Desert Arabian
10-09-2003, 09:38 PM
I've watched horses get their teeth worked on! It's so funny to watch!! :D I love watching the vet use the electric rasp, it is so interesting to watch!! Neat pictures!!! I love em!!! :D

How totally interesting. A horse dentist who'da thought?

Yep, isn't it interesting. Horses MUST have their teeth floated other wise their teeth can fall out, develop sharp hooks- cutting up the mouth, and they eventually get so bad that the horse can't chew which results in starvation.

The reason why wild horses don't get their teeth trimmed is because they have a totally different diet than the human altered diets we feed domesticated horses- such as grains (sweet feed, oats, etc). Just thought that was an interesting tid bit to share...

tatsxxx11
10-12-2003, 12:10 PM
Fascinating pics, Valerie!! Wow, now that's a "drill!!":eek: Love the mama and baby pic, awww, how cute!:) Learn something new every day!

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
10-13-2003, 07:19 AM
I have to say, the horse doesn't look very happy, but hey, neither am I when I go to the dentist!

Lol... I bet my dentists need to get me one of those contraptions to hold my mouth open... he is telling me constantly to open my mouth wider... lol

Tonya
10-14-2003, 10:12 PM
Interesting! I had a horse out at my grandma's growing up and I never heard about that. I suppose she took care of the horsey dentist. I'm curious...how much does it cost?

Desert Arabian
10-15-2003, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by Tonya
I'm curious...how much does it cost?

Our (local) equine vet charges around $120-$130, I believe. I can't remember the exact price off the top of my head.

Vermontcat
10-15-2003, 01:06 PM
Very interesting photos Dukedogsmom!
I have seen horses get new shoes plenty of times but I have never seen them get a visit from an equine dentist.

anna_66
10-15-2003, 01:15 PM
How interesting Valerie, I never knew horses had to have that done.
Sandra's right...you learn something new every day:)

dukedogsmom
10-15-2003, 05:01 PM
A normal visit is only $45. However, we had let them go for a bit too long and he had some major work to be done. So, it ended up being $150. She let me split it into two payments, thank goodness. She's very good at what she does.

delidog
10-15-2003, 07:00 PM
Vermontcat,
When you were in Ct. There was a man..Russell...wish I could remember his last name...He did all decent barns in the area...he did New Canaan Mounted Troop,Fairfield,Ox Ridge,Sunnyfield,Coker Farm,Wembley Farm...Hunterdon...The list goes on....But he was fabulous....He didn't stand more than 5'5"...Took on Every europig we could import at the time,And Always Won.....he did all with Hand rasps....no electric ones at that time unless he had to do surgery...he would use New England Equine as a partner..Dr. Bill Bradley...and his partner Joe..(Oh its' the last name thing again)...I am sure you saw or met him there...HIs service was 150.00...then...
They make a killing!!

Vermontcat
10-15-2003, 07:08 PM
Deli, the name doesn't ring a bell.
If you could post a photo maybe I could remember!;)

delidog
10-15-2003, 07:34 PM
Banging Head on Wall!!!!!Just Cannot Remember!!!Its' Old Age coming to get me!!!!

Cincy'sMom
10-15-2003, 07:39 PM
Thanks for sharing the pictures Valerie. My friend at work talks about her horses getting their teeth done, so it it nice to be able to put visuals with what she describes :)