PDA

View Full Version : I totaled my car, but I'm ok....

Chinadoll
10-09-2003, 04:04 PM
Today sucked..really really sucked. So I'm driving to work this morning, no more traffic than usual. I come off the overpass and am in the merging lane trying to merge onto I-10, there is nothing coming in the lane I was merging into. All I remember was starting to merge over and then the air bags going off.

All I can figure is that the girl in front of me must have come to a dead stop. Wanna hear the kicker?! She was driving a Buick Rendevous...some kind of SUV. Her car only had a bent tail pipe. My car must have gone under hers..the hood crumpled, front end shot, windsheild completely screwed up but at least it didn't shatter on me....but it is totaled.

I was hysterical. I called 911 then my phone went into emergancy mode and I couldn't call anyone else. Neither of us were hurt thank god. I just have some brusing from the seatbelt and a brush burn under my chin from the airbag.

The cop was really nice. She had to give me a ticket, but she wrote out for the smallest violation possible. She told me not to pay it, to go to court and most likely it will be tossed out. I knew I'd get it tossed out anyway as Joey works for NOPD, but still....

Honestly, I was waiting for something like this to happen. I was just thinking the other day that one day I'm going to come across someone who drives as bad or worse than I do and it isn't going to be pretty.

I've never wanted to drive, just got my license 2 months ago. I'm reminded of that Alanis Morisette song, Ironic. The part in the song where she talks about the guy always afraid the fly and the one time he does, the plane crashes. I don't know...I guess I'm in a self-pity mode. I know it could have been worse. Joey keeps telling me the cars replaceable but I'm not. I'm just worried about getting another car that I so don't have $$ for right now...insurance is going to be astronomical because I'm a new driver and now this accident.

It would figure that the first accident I get in I total the damn car. My poor little car. I loved that car. It was a 95 Honda Accord had low mileage and would've lasted me another few years or more. *sigh* Joey took a look at the car and said yep, you messed it up pretty good. To which I replied, well no sense in messing up unless you do it right. :( :( :(

slick
10-09-2003, 04:14 PM
OMG that's awful. Thank goodness you were not hurt. I'm surprised you got a ticket on the spot. Were there any witnesses?? As Joey says you are more valuable than the car.

micki76
10-09-2003, 04:25 PM
Oh, boy can I relate to this or what? I totaled my first car 6 months after I got my license. Ran into the back of a DUMP TRUCK. I didn’t see it. :p LOL I was ok, but mad, embarrassed and without a car! It SUCKED! The second accident I had I totaled out my car, too. I bumped another car whose driver was swerving around acting stupid with his friends. Well, it ricocheted me into a wall and then through a chain link fence and into a swimming pool filled in with dirt! YIKES!
So don’t feel stupid, you’re not the first! :D :D :D

Glad you’re ok!!!!!!!

SeamusK
10-09-2003, 04:41 PM
wow, thank god your alright. Good luck with the car.

Kater
10-09-2003, 04:45 PM
So glad you're alright!!! I can't even imagine how scary that must have been. I hope your insurance doesn't go up *too* much. :( (HUGS)

anna_66
10-09-2003, 05:03 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this, but I'm sure glad your ok:)

Joey is right, Cars are replaceable...people are not.

Samantha Puppy
10-09-2003, 05:07 PM
Oh no!!! I'm so sorry to hear that, Tiff... (((((((hug))))))) Joey is right though - the car is replaceable but you are NOT. I'm glad you're okay.

Chinadoll
10-09-2003, 05:26 PM
Thanks everyone.

Yep Micki, I am mad and embarressed. I can just hear my family now...You've got to pay more attention! But when there's a clear lane to merge into, who the heck comes to a dead stop in the merging lane on the interstate?!

My boss called to see how I was and tried to make me feel better. He said he was in that kind of accident to. A lady stopped at a yield sign when he saw it was completely clear to go and he slammed into the back of her.

No witnesses. But I knew I'd get a ticket. Always the car behind is at fault because your supossed to be far enough behind the other car to avoid an accident. But who the heck follows the 2 second rule getting onto the interstate in morning traffic?!

Anywho, I'm just upset. I know I'm at fault, but it still sucks. I keep replaying it wondering what I could have done differently because I honestly didn't see her. I was just merging over into a clear lane and boom.

I know I'm lucky...had I been going any faster it could have been much worse. *sigh*

Miss Meow
10-09-2003, 05:49 PM
I'm glad you're OK. It must've been so scary to have that happen. The laws are the same here in that the driver behind is always at fault, but doesn't protect you against people in front who do weird stuff by surprise.

catland
10-09-2003, 06:34 PM
I'm glad you are ok. Remember, cars are supposed to crumple on purpose. All that energy has to go somewhere and you want it to go into the car and not into you.:eek:

Still, I'm sorry you totalled your car.:(

GoldenRetrLuver
10-09-2003, 06:45 PM
I can relate to this!
My mom was driving me home from school and at the light, we stopped and BAM. We both felt a bump and looked at each other. My mom got out of the car, and there was this *little* car that was TOTALED. I mean completly gone. Ours just had a crooked bumper. :p

So glad your Okay. It must have been scary...:(

Logan
10-09-2003, 07:02 PM
I'm glad you're ok. That is the main thing. But I completely understand your frustration. My car has been sitting in my driveway for almost two weeks, after being hit. We're still waiting for the insurance companies to work it out. No one was charged, but everyone but the boy who hit me (mostly his mother) thinks that it was his fault.

It's just a pain, more than anything, time and money, two things I don't have enough of!!!! :)

Good luck to you, and again, I'm glad you're ok.

Cookiebaker
10-09-2003, 07:10 PM
Yikes! :eek: That sounds really scary!! Glad to hear you are OK though!! :)

I hate it when people come to a dead stop on an on ramp. Near us, there is an intersection between 2 major highways, and about 35 feet to merge. Traffic is going 65 mph and you HAVE to step on the gas. I can't stand it when there's a person in front of you that decides to stop. :rolleyes: It makes it nearly impossible to accelerate fast enough to merge in without getting honked at.

Karen
10-09-2003, 08:02 PM
We are very glad you are safe, that is what really counts. Cars nowadays are made to do that - they have "crumple zones" so the car bears the brunt of the accident, keeping you safe. Don't be afraid to drive again, and remember, it could be worse for your insurance - you could be a new MALE driver, under 18, whose had an accident - think how awful THOSE insurance premiums would be!

We are glad you are okay, Joey is right - cars are replaceable, you aren't!

And now that you've had your first car accident, you never have to have another! ;) Be safe!

neko1
10-09-2003, 08:28 PM
That really stinks about your car, but I'm so glad to hear that you are ok.

Felicia's Mom
10-09-2003, 09:10 PM
Since I have never driven I can't relate to that. But I am glad you are safe.

Steffi N
10-09-2003, 11:11 PM
I just saw this thread. I am glad you are okay.

wolf_Q
10-09-2003, 11:29 PM
Sorry to hear about all this! :( It reminds me of when my friend totaled her car, I was in it......it's SUCH a scarey feeling when those airbags come out.

I'm glad you are ok!!

ramanth
10-10-2003, 08:45 AM
Joey is right, the car is replaceable, you are not.

But I know how embarressed you feel. I used to drive a '84 98 Oldsmobile. That thing was a boat. :D I was in an accident November of '97. I was driving a friend home from work on a back country road I wasn't familier with. It was sleeting a little so I should of been more cautious...

I never saw the sign saying there was a curve ahead and I hit it at about 50 mph. The car started to fishtail and I corrected it, but then we fishtailed again, I paniced, and turned the wheel to sharp, and the car went into a spin and flew off the road and into a cornfield.

I blew out all four tires and crunched in both the front and the back (steel frame too mind you). Ripped out the speedometor and other cables.

Passenger door wouldn't open and I had to kick my door open to get us out. We were both wearing seats belts and those cars didn't have air bags.

We were okay and a passing motorist who lived nearby called my mom for me. We were only about 5 miles away from home so when mom showed up, we hobbled the car home.

When my dad came home..... :eek: :o I wanted to dissapear. There were cornstalks hanging out of the bumper! :o

Later on, some friends of my parents went with them to look at the accident scene the next day.

I nearly took out a mailbox and the car landed about 20 feet or so from the road. Had I been in a smaller car it would of likely flipped and killed us both. :eek: :(

I don't think I've ever been that embarressed and sharp curves on roads still make me nervous to this day.

*HUGS*

CamCamPup33
10-10-2003, 09:01 AM
Oh gosh! im glad that you are safe and sound! A few bruises... but thats all right? I cant totally relate to you.. Well.. my mom can.. lol.. We were driving down the road and there was a little gas station, and like a place to buy lottery and snacks and stuff.. The guy in front of us made a COMPLETE stop right dead in front of us.. Earlier my mom went to the gas station but it was packed so she just said okay whatever we'll last.. But the car needed gas and well.. BAM into the car in front of us.. :rolleyes: stupid guy.. Anyway seeings that my mom needed gas her brakes werent functioning properly so she couldnt stop it.. She got ticketed for the accident even though he was dead stop in front of us sight seeing.. :rolleyes: the guy that owned the lottery and snack shop gave us free sodas though.. all i really remember is that my cousin he was like 4 and my brother about 6 they were both crying saying my mom was gonna go to jail.... lol and of course the free sodas.. Anyway im So glad your okay tif.. Hope you feel better.. :)

gini
10-10-2003, 09:43 AM
THE most important thing here. Thank God you are alright.

A car is a car is a car..........you are what is important.

cloverfdx
10-10-2003, 11:24 AM
I am so glad to hear you are ok, take care of yourself.

AmberLee
10-11-2003, 11:52 PM
Thank God that you are okay.

Don't let this make you quit driving, okay?

{{{hugs, but light ones so the bruises don't hurt...}}}

Dakota's Mommy
10-13-2003, 11:30 AM
Wow! Yeah, that would have scared me! So glad to hear you're okay though!

emily_the_spoiled
10-13-2003, 12:18 PM
I am glad that you are okay. Please remember that you are definitely more important than any piece of metal!!!

If it makes you feel any better over the years I have "done in" two cars. Cars are easily replaced, but humans are not. Think of it this way, everyone has an accident at some point in their life. You just got your's over with really quickly;)