PDA

View Full Version : siezures

pookietoo
07-10-2000, 08:18 PM
I have a golden rertriever who will be 4 years old in a couple months. There were a couple times that he has was just standing there and then fell over side ways. His legs stay straight out. He cannot raise his head off the ground. His tongue hangs out of his mouth. And his whole body shakes. He still seems to be able to focus his eyes on you but cannot get up or move other then the involuntary shaking of his body. He does not kick with his legs or move his back. Just shakes. Does anybody have a clue what this could be? We thought maybe epilepsy but then I don't think he would be able to focus his eyes on you.

karen israel
07-12-2000, 07:11 AM
Fortunately, I don't have this problem, but have read articles on this. As in humans, there are various types of epilepsy. Your pup doesn't have to have grand mal seizures to make you think he isn't having one. Definitely ask your vet, as the treatment these days is simple and effective. It is very unpleasant for both of you I'm sure and you want to assure his health and safety. A big hug and smooch to him
I have a golden rertriever who will be 4 years old in a couple months. There were a couple times that he has was just standing there and then fell over side ways. His legs stay straight out. He cannot raise his head off the ground. His tongue hangs out of his mouth. And his whole body shakes. He still seems to be able to focus his eyes on you but cannot get up or move other then the involuntary shaking of his body. He does not kick with his legs or move his back. Just shakes. Does anybody have a clue what this could be? We thought maybe epilepsy but then I don't think he would be able to focus his eyes on you.[/QUOTE]

tsmom
07-12-2000, 12:58 PM
There are many types of seizures nand effective, inexpensive treatments. Sometimes a seizure will be triggered by a specific stressor and be an isolated incident that won't really need treated at all. See your vet.

Merrill
07-12-2000, 01:27 PM
Hi, Follys seizures are very similar. When she first started having them (about 3 years ago), we flipped out, and took her to U. of Georgia's Vet Hospital. After a million questions they wanted to do a spinal tap. Her daddy couldnt handle her staying there overnight so she didnt have the procedure. More importantly, they said that the seizures could by epilepsy or maybe scar tissue in the brain. Good news is that they have not gotten worse as we had feared. She is not on medication at this point. The hospital said the only meds to reduce seizures have a very tranquilizing affect.Watch your pooch, he may sense when the seizure is coming on and be guided/trained to be in a safe position for it. On that note, we have put a kid gate at the stairs so she cant fall if seizing when we arent home. Good luck! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif