PDA

View Full Version : reverse sneezing

Barb
07-10-2000, 09:41 AM
My 1 yr old shep has been diagnosed with reverse sneezing. I feel there is another problem but dont know where to turn. He eats grass everytime he goes out and throws it back up. When in the house he tries to eat the carpet and has eaten rope toys in the past. Have had xrays and blood work done and they say nothing is wrong. He does not eat well and when he does it he loses it shotly after. can anyone help? I am frantic and dont know where to turn.

casmeow
07-10-2000, 07:55 PM
Hi Barb! What is reverse sneezing? Every once in a awhile one of our Labs makes a sort of choking/coughing/wheezing noise that lasts for a few seconds, she swallows & then it's done. I wondered if that is what your baby does.Does it have to do with his heart?My Lab is overweight & I've often wondered if it has to do w/her heart. I wish you the best of luck - if you're not happy w/your current vet - get a 2nd opinion - I know 2nd opinions have saved many lives. Casmeow
Originally posted by Barb:
My 1 yr old shep has been diagnosed with reverse sneezing. I feel there is another problem but dont know where to turn. He eats grass everytime he goes out and throws it back up. When in the house he tries to eat the carpet and has eaten rope toys in the past. Have had xrays and blood work done and they say nothing is wrong. He does not eat well and when he does it he loses it shotly after. can anyone help? I am frantic and dont know where to turn.

karen israel
07-12-2000, 07:23 AM
Far be it from to be a pro, but Dog fancy mag had an article similar to this-it had to do with the esophogus tube being narrow so once food goes down it comes right back up-like acid reflux. The dog in the article had an endoscopy (tube down throat, like us!)as Xrays didn't show it. If I recall, it was a simple procedure (well, no surgeury is simple) to stretch it open and the dog was fine. Poor thing, good luck. Definitely suggest this or get a 2nd opinion. Anything is worth a try!