PDA

View Full Version : Katie is getting spayed

RobiLee
10-08-2003, 08:17 AM
Hello All

Well, tomorrow is the day. Katie will be getting spayed. I must admit I am a bit nervous about it. I don't want any thing bad to happen to her and I hate putting her through an operation. I know it is routine and everything will be ok...but I can't help but worry. I think I am reflecting on my recent surgeries and I don't want to cause her any pain like that. Its silly, I know. Hubby will be taking her early in the morning and we will be picking her up later in the afternoon. I'll let you all know when she gets home safely.

Robin :)

cloverfdx
10-08-2003, 08:35 AM
i will keep Katie in my thoughts for tomorrow and im sure everything will be fine.

Goodluck dear Katie *hugs*

Samantha Puppy
10-08-2003, 09:03 AM
I felt the same way when I took Samantha in for her spaying. I had the vet tech call me as soon as she was out of surgery and again when she started to wake up. When we went to get her that evening, Samantha ran to Josh and I. The vet gave us pain pills to give her once we got home. In the car ride, she was fine. But those pain pills... LOL! They made her ZONE. She would be walking around and just stop and stare. She'd be going to get off the couch and stop halfway through (so that her front paws were on the floor and her back paws were on the sofa) and stop and stare. Poor thing... The next morning (I took off the following day so that I could help her get around since I was sure she'd be horribly sore), she woke me up by pouncing on my bed. She was fine! She started ripping outside and going up and down stairs (the vet said to keep her quiet for 10 days - HA!). I gave her one more pain pill that night to calm her down and zonk her out, but after that... she was as good as new... better, actually 'cause now she doesn't have to worry about having puppies out of wedlock!! ;)

Katie will be fine. We'll all be thinking of her and keeping her in our prayers, but I promise you... she'll be just fine. :)

Logan
10-08-2003, 09:50 AM
Just think, Robin, you will get to play "nurse" for Katie for a few days, then there will be no holding her back! It is always amazing to me how quickly they bounce back, when it takes us humans weeks to do heal!!!

Good luck tomorrow, and I'll be keeping both you and Katie in my prayers!!! :)

Logan

KYS
10-08-2003, 06:18 PM
Rocky, Sheba and Pepper are sending their
friend Katie, many good good thoughts, and
a speedy recover for tomarrow.
Senior Sheba says, not to lick your stitches or run around
for the first few days. :)

tatsxxx11
10-08-2003, 06:33 PM
Momma Robin. We don't blame you for worrying one bit! They're our "kids"after all! Just hang in there...before long it'll all be over and you'll be getting the "resting comfortably" call! We'll be keeping you and sweet Katie in our thoughts and prayers!:) Love and hugs and tail wags to you cutie Katie!! Sandra, Cody and Star

Samantha...sweet, sweet story....awww!:)

anna_66
10-09-2003, 07:24 AM
Roxey & Huney just wanted to know if their friend will be well enough to go to the park next weekend? They sure hope so, they would miss her:D

lovemyshiba
10-09-2003, 11:03 AM
My thoughts are with you today Katie, and you Robin. It's so nerve wracking to think about, just because we can't be there!!
Jada just went through it 2 weeks ago--she had a little bit of a rough time, but she was fine once we had her home--I think she was just afraid we had left her there:(
I can't wait to hear about Katie when she is done--my vet always tells me they will be lethargic for a few days--3 dogs later, I have yet to see it!!!!

Cinder & Smoke
10-09-2003, 11:59 AM
Hey Katie ~

You *talkin* yet?
The big *Snip & Zip* otta be finished by now.

Don't furget to *WAGG* yur tail when da Folks come to pick ya up!
Dat makes em feel gud.

Take it eezee fur tanite;
then ya can start *rippin* & *tearin* agin tumorrow! :p

But don't blow out :eek: yur *Zippur*!
We wanna see ya a week frum Sundee atta Findlay Bark Park for the
BIG Birfday Bash!

Logan
10-09-2003, 12:29 PM
Robin,
I am in hopes that you and Katie are both doing ok today.
Update us when you can!
Logan

tatsxxx11
10-09-2003, 02:12 PM
Add me to the list of anxious Aunties and Uncles!! Check in when you can Robin!!:)

My Peanuts
10-09-2003, 02:21 PM
My other dog, Angie, was the biggest baby hands down and she went through her spaying like a champ. It's amazing how well they do. On the other hand Sylvia has to go soon and I'm worried about her too. I totally sympathize. Don't worry Katie will be fine. :)

KYS
10-09-2003, 05:40 PM
Rocky wants to know how his girlfriend is doing. :)

RobiLee
10-09-2003, 05:54 PM
Well, things did not go to well. I guess the surgery went fine but when hubby picked her up she was in the back seat and we are not for sure what happened but he said she let out a yelp and he looked and thinks maybe she might have been messing with her incision...then she let out a great big yelp and he said she started to panic and jumped over the front seat. I guess she was really bleeding and it was a huge mess..some blood in the back and my front seat was completely covered. He hurried up and took her back. I guess she was fine after she calmed down and snuggled up with hubby on the front seat. He picked her up to take her back in the office and put her down and she seemed just fine and was walking. I guess she ruptured something, but everything is fine and the vet had her stay the night so he could keep an eye on her and I can pick her up in the morning. I knew something was going to happen. I felt it from when I first made the appt. I wish I could have went with hubby when he picked her up but I was not feeling well and had went to bed and he didn't want to bother me. I'm upset....but I'm sure it will all be alright. One of the vet employees even went out to help hubby clean up the car and then he took the steam cleaner to it when he got home. The blood all came out ok. I wasn't too worried about that though. Just want my pup to be ok.

Anna and Phred....I wasn't even thinking. I would have never made the appt. so close to the dog park meeting if I was. I'm hoping things go well and we can still make it.

Thanks to all of you for your well wishes. Keep us in your thoughts. This has been an awful day. I hated walking into the house and Katie was not there.

Thanks....Robin

anna_66
10-09-2003, 06:11 PM
Sorry to hear that happened Robin:( But I'm glad that everything was just fine when your hubby took her back to the vets. I'm sure she'll be doing much better tomorrow.
And I sure hope she's all healed up by the 19th!!
xxxKISSESxxx for Katie!

stacwase
10-09-2003, 06:36 PM
Ohhh - Ouch! Poor little thing! I'm so sorry that things didn't go as well as they usually do. Keep us up to date. Hopefully tomorrow you'll tell us that she just bounced right back.

Cincy'sMom
10-09-2003, 06:42 PM
Aw, Poor Katie!!! I'm sorry things didn't go as well as hoped! It is so hard when thebabies are not 100%. We'll be thinking about you and hoping Katie is feeling herself soon!

CathyBogart
10-09-2003, 10:29 PM
Poor Katie! My friend Heather had that happen to one of her retired breeders when she was spayed. You know...that dog's name is Katie too! O.o Anyways, everything worked out, and I hope your katie recovers just as quickly! :D

wolf_Q
10-09-2003, 11:23 PM
Sorry to hear about the problems with Katie's spay...hope she's feeling better now!!

shais_mom
10-10-2003, 12:10 AM
Hugs to sweet Katie and her momma and poppa!

gini
10-10-2003, 09:52 AM
Oh, ouch is right! Let's hope this is a good weekend for all of you.

(and hugs for you and Katie).

Cinder & Smoke
10-10-2003, 10:21 AM
:eek:

KATIE!!

Dint ya REED whut we sed!!??

Originally posted by Cinder & Smoke
Take it eezee fur tanite;
then ya can start *rippin* & *tearin* agin tumorrow! :p

But don't blow out :eek: yur *Zippur*!

:rolleyes:
Sounds like ya started da *rippin* & tearing* jest a bit too urlee! :rolleyes:

Be sure to ask the White Coat just WHAT went wrong!
When Shadow (RB :( ) was spayed; the Vet *nicked* one of her ureters (tube from kidney to bladder). She suddenly began bleeding out through her incision (almost 8 hours AFTER the surgery). TWO major surgeries later, the problem was found - but the "repair" was loss of one of her kidneys.

I wouldn't be too worried about Katie -
but the Vet should FULLY Explain what happened -
since Major Bleeding following a spay should not have happened.

Hope all went well overnight and she's on her way home SOON!

{{{HUGGS}}}

pitc9
10-10-2003, 12:44 PM
I hope she's back on her feet and feeling better in no time!!

I think I may be going to the park on the 19th..... I'd love to see her there!!!!!

tatsxxx11
10-10-2003, 01:16 PM
Oh, poor Katie and poor Mama and Papa:( I hope she's doing lots better today; you guys too!! I definitely would ask what the cause of the bleeding was; if it was "just" a strain on the suture line. It's hard keeping them quiet and still once they see their families! Many vets keep the girls overnight for just that reason; torn zippers! Get well wishes and love to you Katie!

anna_66
10-10-2003, 01:19 PM
How's the little patient doing today? Good I hope! Update when you can.

originally posted by pitc9:

think I may be going to the park on the 19th

We sure hope so!!!

RobiLee
10-10-2003, 01:48 PM
Yay!!...Katie is Home!!!

Katie seems to be doing just fine. We went in to get her and of course she comes running out to greet us just a wigglin' and wagglin' and trying to jump on us. Had to try and make her behave and keep all four on the floor...lol. I guess somehow she caused a little tear and then when she went nuts and climbed over the seat to get up front she really burst open. The vet says she is just fine now. He BETTER be RIGHT!! I am keeping a close eye on her. She has been eating really well today and drinking plenty. She has been outside and even did a little prancing around the backyard, like she was just so happy to be in her yard again..it was so cute! She has peed and pooped and everything looks normal. TRUST me I am keeping a very close eye on her. I do think they went a bit nuts with the shaving though. They shaved a really huge spot. It even starts to go up the sides. She looks a bit goofy...lol. I hope it grows back quick!

Anyway..she is home..safe and sound and Katie and I would both like to thank you all for all the warm thoughts and wishes. You guys are great!

Hey Pitc9...I sure do hope you get to make it to the dog park. We are hoping to make it also and I would really like to meet you and the furkids. It is a really good time. The people are great and it is so much fun to watch the dogs. This will be our 2nd one and I am really looking forward to it.

Hugs to all....Robin :)

My Peanuts
10-10-2003, 01:59 PM
Oh I am so glad Kattie is ok. I knew she would be, but she sounds like she is already almost back to normal. When Harley got altered the hardest thing was trying to stop a jack russell from jumping and is sounds like Katie is doing the same thing. :p

carole
10-10-2003, 02:32 PM
Robilee I was so relieved to read the update about Katie, OMG I would have been beside myself if that happened to me, maybe it was just as well you were not in the car at the time, a blessing in disguise. POOR LIL KATIE

Keep us updated on her recovery, she sounds like she is just going to be fine or hunky dory as we say in NZ, great news, now let us hope mummy is going to be just as good eh???!!!!!!:)

stacwase
10-10-2003, 02:44 PM
Oh - thank goodness she's OK!

Cincy'sMom
10-10-2003, 02:51 PM
Glad to hear Katie is home and doing well!!! Give her a hug from us!!!

anna_66
10-10-2003, 02:51 PM
Glad to hear she's home & doing fine:D

ChrisH
10-10-2003, 03:02 PM
Sorry, I only just seen this about Katie and her spay. I am sorry things went badly at first but so pleased she is now home and doing ok.
Big hugs all round.
Chris

ramanth
10-10-2003, 03:23 PM
Glad to hear Katie is home and getting better. :) When Kia was spayed, she had a huge bald spot. It does all grow back. It keeps them safe from infection so I don't mind that they shaved so much. :)

Such a scarey experience for your husband! :eek: :(