PDA

View Full Version : Very Interesting

LadyDove
10-08-2003, 07:48 AM
Today is my first day here and I can see I have alot to catch up on and will be looking forward to it. Over the years, I have had numerous pets and love talking about them, as they all have a story to tell. My newest babies are two tiels. Nugget and Penelope. Nugget is the gray one, and Penelope is the little lady. So different. Nugget was named by my (then 3) grandson. Just happened to be eating Chicken McNuggets as we were comming home with our new baby and were discussing what we should name him. Out of the back seat a little voice says, lets name him " Chicken Nugget". So thats how Nugget got his name. Anyway, I look forward to getting to know you all. Have a beautiful day. :D

LadyDove
10-08-2003, 07:50 AM
oops forgot to post pic of my birdies!! went to edit and that option wasn't there so here I go again. In the pic, Nuggets tail feathers are rumpled. He's only about 4 months in that pic, his previous cage buddies, did a number on him, and Penelope we got from a private breeder. She was already 1 yr old when we got her She was in a cage in the basement. I guess the lady breeds them as she had quite a few, but myself, I don't think they should be away from People. Heck their little feathered people toooooo! Anyway, Nugget is a born clown and Penelope will soon (NOV) be 2. She still is the quieter of the two and really just likes to go on the top of the cage and see everyone. Nugget on the other hand loves to sing and dance. He tweets the tune from the Andy Griffith show while dancing back and forth on his perch.

lbaker
10-08-2003, 07:59 AM
May I be the first to welcome you! There are several "birdie" talkers here and I'm sure you will be hearing from them. Pennsylvania is a big state, which part are you from? Several folks in Eastern PA got together last spring to meet and enjoy each others company and hope to make it an annual thing. Stick around, you'll like it :)

LadyDove
10-08-2003, 08:09 AM
Western Pennsylvania. Near Pittsburgh Pa. And thankyou for the warm welcome. Look forward to reading about everyones pets.

gini
10-08-2003, 08:42 AM
You have joined one of the friendliest boards and we welcome you.

Everyone loves pictures and hearing about your pets. As Laurie mentioned, there are many people here from PA and Ohio.

I loved hearing how Nugget got his name - out of the mouths of babes!

Logan
10-08-2003, 08:59 AM
Welcome!!!!!! Your "bird babies" remind me a lot of my two Cockatiel, Roger and Milly, who you can see in my signature!!! They are beautiful!!! :)

We are so glad you are here!!!!

Logan

lovemyshiba
10-08-2003, 09:21 AM
Welcome to Pet Talk!!
Your birds are gorgeous--and I love how Nugget got his name--so cute!!!!

I'm in PA also, but central, and I have 4 doggies, who can be seen in my signature!!

Hope to hear more from you!!

LadyDove
10-08-2003, 09:22 AM
Replies sooooo fast !!:) I look forward to getting everyones advice on pets. I also have a part chow/bear? LOL. She didn't have her dew claws removed and looked like a little golden bear when she was a baby. Shes about 8 now and 45 lbs. Still thinks shes a "little" lap dog. her little brother Lucky ( Lucky I let him live here) is wired for sure. He takes to running around my kitchen island so fast. I'm sure he thinks he was a greyhound in a previous life. He is part wire hair terrier/ something. Of course most of my animals were brought home because they were sooo cute ! The most unusual was a skunk. Un decented of course. Not to worry, she was finally decented. She was named Peppie La Pue. She thought she was a dog.:D Amazing as it was she lived about 7 or 8 years. Long for a wild animal. Never bit a soul. Thankyou all for welcoming me. I must apologize right up front, I have a nasty habit of chatting away for ever! I love to talk about my family and my pets. I should write a book on their antics. hmmmmm think I will start some pages. Just where to put them is the question.

gini
10-08-2003, 09:37 AM
Take a look at the number of posts each person has and it will give you a good idea that chatting away seems to be what we do best.

When you reach 1,000 - you get to be an official blabbermouth!

Get busy!:D :D

Samantha Puppy
10-08-2003, 09:43 AM
Welcome to Pet Talk! I will be your friend if you aren't a Steelers fan... ;)

luckies4me
10-08-2003, 11:26 AM
Welcome to the World's Greatest Pet Chat ever! :D I just adore your tiels! When I was younger my mother used to raise tiels and there was never a second that went by without them near us. Hope to hear more from you, and don't worry, blabbing here is always welcome!:)

slick
10-08-2003, 12:26 PM
A very warm open-armed welcome to Pet Talk!!! You'll love it here and I'm sure in time you'll become as addicted as I am. I just love all kinds of pets, bun-buns, reptiles, birdies, dogs, cats, anything. You name it I love it, but because I work full-time I only have 2 cats at the moment. Max is 10 and Speckles is 16. I'm waiting anxiously for retirement so I can get a dog. Your birds are just beautiful. Please give them feathered kissies from me.:) :)

And BTW, we love to see pictures. The more you post the better.:D :D

popcornbird
10-08-2003, 03:59 PM
Welcome! Its so nice to be able to welcome another birdie momma to the board! Your feathered babies are just ADORABLE! :D

I have two tiels too, and they are both the blossoms of my life! Their names are Popcorn and Muffin, and you can see them in my signature! You're right, tiels are amazing, as are all parrots and birds! Very intellligent and loving friends! I hope you'll stick around, so we get to hear more about your beautiful feathered kids!

bluekat
10-08-2003, 04:17 PM
Welcome to Pettalk!!! Your birdies are so cute:D
I will be 14 years old in March, and I'm from Canada. I have a cat, he's a blue point Himmy named Blueberry. If you want to see, here's a picture of him:)

Uabassoon
10-08-2003, 05:15 PM
Welcome to Pet Talk! It looks as if you are already fitting in here very nicely :) You're two birds are so cute, I can't wait to see pictures of your dog. I love chows and chow mixes. I am owned by two cats, Corkscrew and Tibby. You can see their pictures in my signature.

popcornbird
10-09-2003, 12:33 AM
I see you're online, so just want to bump this thread up...........since you're new, I don't want you to lose it! :D :p

LadyDove
10-09-2003, 12:56 AM
thankyou very much. I can't believe it is almost 2 in the morning my time and I have to get up in 4 hours. LOL. I am very interested in tiels. We have had these for about a year now. Just lately, Penelope has lost the feathers on the tops of her wings (shoulders?). I pray its from moulting right now as she doesn't seem to be in any discomfort. She is housed with Nugget who is probably about 7 months younger than she is. I sure hope it wasn't him who did this. They don't seem to fight and I do have another cage to put her in, and will do if nessessary. I just don't really want to do that. I have started giving her extra minerals as suggested on a tiels site. As for my dogs, I will post pictures now. This is sooooo much fun!.

This is Honeybear. She is about 8 yrs old. Stubborn she sure is. She has the most beautiful almond shaped eyes. My grandson could shove his fist down her throat and she wouldn't budge. Hubby put the baby on her when we brought him home 4 years ago and said "this is your baby now take care of him". She puts up with anything he does to her. Will have to post a pic as soon as I can scan one of the two of them.

LadyDove
10-09-2003, 01:00 AM
that was really a lousy picture of her. When we had our reunion pictures taken, it was so funny cause I didn't realize she and Lucky was in them. I had to crop them to post. Now heres the little rascal. He just loves his mommy. My husband will come home and say, Wheres my boy, and he shoots as fast as he can to reach my husband before my grandson can.! (ps. grandson and daughter live with us.) Lucky is Bryans dog. Lucky is 2 now.

popcornbird
10-09-2003, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by LadyDove
I am very interested in tiels. We have had these for about a year now. Just lately, Penelope has lost the feathers on the tops of her wings (shoulders?). I pray its from moulting right now as she doesn't seem to be in any discomfort.

First of all, your doggies are also very cute!

As for Penelope's wing feathers...................how many feathers did she lose? I mean..........how much of her skin is showing, if any? Is she fully feathered on her wings except for one little spot that is a small bone/joint? When I give my tiels a shower, that little tiny bone part sometimes shows, when the feathers are wet, however, when they dry, its fully covered again. Did you see her picking on her feathers? Is she acting normal? Are her droppings normal? These are just some other signs to look out for, to know if it could be a cause of concern or not......If you are concerned, I would suggest calling an avian vet and asking them, or maybe taking her to the vet for a check up to make sure everything's fine.

What are you feeding your tiels? Mine used to be on a seed diet, along with fresh veggies (broccoli, peas, carrots, corn, etc.), certain types of cereals, occasional whole wheat bread, and sometimes popcorn *home popped.....without butter/salt* as a treat. I have recently added pellets to their diet, which they say is very good for them and SHOULD be a part of their diet. Since they've been eating that, their feathers are looking more healthy and very thick, thank God. If you're not feeding your birds pellets, I recommend that you do. They get most of their vitamins/nutritional needs from that and its good for their feathers. :D Good luck!

LadyDove
10-09-2003, 08:30 AM
Popcorn, The feather loss is alot on the top part of her wings. I have watched her preen herself, but I honestly think Nugget was trying to mate and someone told me they would do this. He seems to be leaving her alone now. Her droppings are fine, in fact, she seems fine and they say this is moulting time, so I have put her on vitamens, minerals and pellets. Only the last few days, so I am looking every day to see if they start growning back. I didn't know you could feed all those things to them until I recently joined a tiel group. I am learning alot and as I love birds more than anything, I sure want to keep these healthy. My niece works for a vet, so I usually ask her to find out for me. I think I might be on the right track as to raising them now. I sure hope so because they are such a joy!.

CamCamPup33
10-09-2003, 08:40 AM
Hi! welcome to pettalk! i guess i may be a little late but a welcome is still a welcome right? ;) My name is amber and unfortunetley i own no birds.. Im hoping to soon though.. Your pets are adorable! Honeybear looks a lot like one of my friends dog.. Lucky is also TOO cute! Ah your tiels! they are SOOOO cute! i want one so bad.. lol anyway my pets are in my signature below.. Cami is a corgi/american eskimo mix and Cali is a calico cat! Hope you stick around long (most newbies dont :( )

Amber

lovemyshiba
10-09-2003, 09:38 AM
Honeybear and Lucky are absolutely gorgeous!!!!!:)

bluekat
10-09-2003, 01:37 PM
Aww, your dogs are so cute!:D

anna_66
10-11-2003, 05:59 AM
Your birds are beautiful and so are your dogs!

I also have a chow (not sure how much of a chow-we picked her up off the side of the road-someone had dumped her) and her name is Huney too! I'll attach a pic so you can meet her;)

It's always good to have another member! I'll be looking forward to many more posts from you:D

10-11-2003, 06:17 AM
WELCOME to Pettalk!!

LadyDove
10-11-2003, 08:08 AM
To one and all, Thankyou for the warm welcomes. It was posted here to stay because some newbies don't? Well, I hate to tell ya all, I'm here to stay. Had a tiring day at work and got home and right away headed to pet talk to see the most loved pets in the world. I went to the archives (big mistake) I just couldn't leave. Fell in love with so many pets. Seems like alot of these pets are the center of folks lives. I could say mine are too and I am ashamed I don't give them the attention they deserve most of the time. No matter what kind of day I have had, they are always soo happy to see me. I have my daughter and grandson living with us right now, and he is my world. I also have a grandaughter who I don't get to see all that often, but my children, grandchildren and my animals are my reason for living. (oh heck, I'll throw in the hubby too. LOL. Married 31 years Oh MY !!) Just wanted to say, this is a delightful bunch of pet lovers and look forward to visiting time and again.

GoldenRetrLuver
10-11-2003, 01:47 PM
Welcome to Pet Talk! My, your 'tiels are beautiful! So are your dogs! I also have a Cockatiel named Piper, he is about 7 months old.
Here's a picture of him...
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid75/p1548da923c076e78ca8f4ee9f21363e2/fb4d1a9b.jpg

I also have 2 dogs, Molly and Daisy (who you can see in my signature.) Daisy is a Golden Retriever, and Molly is a Sable and White Rough Collie. I also have 2 cats, a hamster, and 6 desert tortoises! Sorry I'm so late at replying, but Welcome! :D

LadyDove
10-20-2003, 10:42 AM
I'm bumping this up as I know alot of you were wondering what I was talking about with my tiel's feather loss on her shoulders. I have a pic, not a good one, as my daughter just got a cell phone that has a camera in it. We don't have a regular digital camera so I had her take one the best she could. Of course you will see Penelope isn't not happy about having her picture taken. She flew in the corner and was not a happy girl. I put her on mineral and vitamn's and it looks like there might be a little feathers growing from the top down now. How long does it take for them to get their feathers back. I saw a pic of a tiel here that was almost featherless and they grew back or so I assume. Any ideas again? I really think it might be a molting thing, but I have never seen a bird loose so many all at once. She has bare flesh showing as you can see. She doesn't seem at all bothered by it Thanks All.

Edit: I can't seem to get the picture to be clear if I enlarge it I will have to work on it. its at the top of her wings where the shoulders meet

stacwase
10-20-2003, 11:43 AM
Welcome, welcome, welcome!!!

I don't know much about birdies (though last night my husband mentioned he wanted to get one).

But your dogs are beautiful!!! Especially Honeybear. I hope we'll get to hear more about them and see lots of pictures!

lynnestankard
10-20-2003, 11:48 AM
Hi Ladydove - sorry I'm late in offering a BIG Welcome to Pet Talk.
I'm the official servant and cuddler (?) to three daft cats:- Bagel and Ketchum - both all black brother and sister, and Dan - a tuxxie boy.
Look forward to reading more of your posts.

Lynne

dukedogsmom
10-20-2003, 01:14 PM
Welcome! My dog Duke is part German Shepherd/Chow. Hope you like it here. Would love to see a pic of your dog, too.
Your birds are cute and I just love the personalities that they get as they've been around humans.

LadyDove
05-20-2005, 11:03 AM
I honestly don't know where the year has gone. I last posted in October of 2003. Gee where did the time go. In anycase, I wanted to update everyone.
We lost our beloved HoneyBear just this past Christmas. In the meantime, we have a golden Lab. He's 11 months old already. Besides the two tiels which Penelope still has the feather loss. Shes is still beautiful anyway, we have 1 finch, 1 parakeet, 4 Beta's and our newest baby Lacy Rose. Who I might add loves to play with Lucky. I look forward to meeting new friends and re aquainting myself with old ones. As you see I didn't get a chance to post alot before my computer (make that 2) crashes. Been a busy zoo keeper. :rolleyes: This is Lacy at 4 and a half weeks.