PDA

View Full Version : My Granma's Cookie Recipe Worked!

Sevens
10-07-2003, 10:30 PM
I am SO HAPPY right now!:D

I know I said I was going to make my Granma's chocolate cookie recipe as a tribute to her for her memorial service.

I was all ready to spend the next two weeks practicing until I got it right.

I got it right tonite...on the first try!!!!!!

I was going to do the scientific method, you know take notes, Batch #1, I did this, Batch#2, I did that...but as I was getting the ingredients ready, something told me to stop and just do it...no note taking. Just do.

So I did. And once they cooled, I walked in the kitchen and tried one...I felt like I was 7 years old again, sitting in the kitchen with her.

I know it sounds silly to get so excited over a cookie, but this is the happiest I have felt since I was told that she died.

I plan to make enough for the after memorial service luncheon and then I will also have made up individual batches for my family members. It's going to be a secret surprise.

I plan to make this my signature dish to bring to family get-togethers from now on. So it will kind of be like a part of her will be right there with us. :)

Miss Meow
10-07-2003, 11:04 PM
She was watching over you while you were baking, because she knew you wanted to do a good job :)

I'm sure everyone will love the cookies :)

G.P.girl
10-07-2003, 11:04 PM
YAY for cookies!!:D it good that you can make stuff like your grandma.
i tried once....but after triong it i didnt have the heart to tell her i even atempted one of her recipies.:rolleyes:
good for you

gini
10-07-2003, 11:55 PM
What a loving tribute to your Grandma. I am sure she was with you while you were making them. And I think she will be there every time you make them - so they will always be as good as hers.

Ally Cat's Mommy
10-08-2003, 02:02 AM
What a wonderful tirbute to your Granny!

My husbands Gran (who was the closest I had to grandparents, as mine all died when I was quite young) passed away in 1999.

She was a WONDERFUL cook, and she wrote all her recipes in an old diary. Before she went into the Frail Care facility, I was helping her sort out some of her belongings, and she told me that she wanted me to have all her baking stuff and recipe books, as I was the only female in the family who was interested in baking! (Everyone else just BUYS their cakes at the store).

So I now have Granny's recipe book. I am slowly working through it, re-typing the recipes, as some of them were hand-written 25 years ago, and are fading! Once it is complete I am planning on printing it and giving copies to all the female decendants.

Every Christmas the task falls on me to make her special Christmas Fruit Cake. It's a really difficult and time consuming recipe, but so far I havent had a flop! It's like having a little piece of her with us every Christmas.

Incidently, she passed away on December 26th 1999, and one of the last things she ate was a piece of "her" Christmas Cake - that will always be a special memory for me!

anna_66
10-08-2003, 07:13 AM
I'm so happy for you:)

She must have been watching over you telling you just the way to do it:D

lovemyshiba
10-08-2003, 09:15 AM
I just know your grandmother was watching over you as you made those cookies, and I'm sure she is smiling, and very proud to know her legend will live on!!
Great job--I'm glad to hear that you did it, and that it brings you so many warm memories!!

bluekat
10-08-2003, 04:10 PM
aww, what a lovely tribute to your grandmother:) I'm glad to hear that cookies worked! I agree with the others-- I think she was watching over you as you baked them.:)