PDA

View Full Version : Got a dog!

Smilla
10-07-2003, 06:36 PM
Well, I went to a shelter tonight "just to look", and now there is a dog happily destroying a rawhide under my desk. He's a 6-year-old Greyhound Shepherd mix; he's largely an orangey-red color with brown stripes. He's very sweet and knows lots of commands already! He's filled with a bit of nervous energy tonight, but when he settles down a bit I'll take some pictures (heck, he'll probably have his own website within the month)!

Wow, I feel like one of the group now...better update my profile! :)

GoldenRetrLuver
10-07-2003, 06:38 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!! I commend you for adopting an older dog, good job. :D Any pictures?? He sounds adorable! Has he got a name yet? :)

Cheshirekatt
10-07-2003, 06:39 PM
Congratulations and can't wait to see pics! :D

captain
10-07-2003, 06:48 PM
Congrats!!!!! :D

Can't wait for the website ......:)

Smilla
10-07-2003, 06:49 PM
Thank you! No pics yet--I've tried, but he either simply won't stay still, or he's under the desk chewing and I don't want to disturb him--I think he's a little wound up and I want him to feel at ease quickly. But there will be pictures VERY soon!

His name is currently "Lefty", but the woman at the shelter didn't feel there would be any problems with changing it. We're thinking of Sikan (the dog's name in the movie "My Life as a Dog"), or maybe Buka (a Russian dog's name; not sure how it's spelled). I think he looks like a Sikan. Have any of you changed an older dog's name; if so, how did it go?

ParNone
10-07-2003, 06:51 PM
Oh I love greyhounds! Can't wait to see pics of him.

Par...

binka_nugget
10-07-2003, 06:53 PM
Congrats! Nothing beats a dog from the shelter!

We've just recently adopted an older sheltie (estimated to be about 5 or 6). He was called Milo but we changed it to Kaedyn. Kaedyn's a completely different name than milo...it doesn't even sound alike lol but he responded very nicely. Within a week, he caught on.

Smilla
10-07-2003, 06:53 PM
Here is his picture from the shelter's website:

http://www.buddydoghs.com/html/pets/dogLefty.html

He's cuter in real life :)

GoldenRetrLuver
10-07-2003, 06:54 PM
Wow, what a gorgeous guy! :D

Dogz
10-07-2003, 06:59 PM
OMG, Congratulations! Awwww! What a handsome guy!:D Congratulations on the new addition, I am so happy that you got him from a shelter, and I am also glad that you got an older dog.:) I can't wait to see some more pics!

ParNone
10-07-2003, 07:00 PM
Oh I love how unique looking he is. How adorable!!

Par...

slick
10-07-2003, 07:01 PM
I'm so happy for you Smilla. Although he looks very handsome in the website I can't wait to see some home pics. Bless you for taking in an adult shelter dog.

Cinder & Smoke
10-07-2003, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Smilla
... I went to a shelter tonight
"just to look"... :)

"Just Lookin" never quite seems to work around here... :rolleyes:

"Lefty" is a GOOD Looking Pooch!!

delidog
10-07-2003, 07:09 PM
Oh He is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!
Love the Ears!!!!!

Like Mr. Phred Said...
There is no such thing as "Just Looking" with people like us!!!;) :) :D
I almost had my computer taken away,as I got my Third Furkid on Petfinder!!!!

Cheshirekatt
10-07-2003, 07:11 PM
A brindle baby! My favorite!!

*yay*

He's gorgeous and looks like quite the fast little fellow. :)

dukedogsmom
10-07-2003, 07:17 PM
You're one of us now! Congrats. And yes, we will be waiting not so patiently for pics. Glad he's found a great home.

4 Dog Mother
10-07-2003, 08:10 PM
It is great that you decided to get an older dog from a shelter. and what a great looking dog you picked!!! Can't wait to see more pictures of "Lefty"!

Smilla
10-07-2003, 08:12 PM
Well, the first couple of hours have been good--he's getting sleepy and we were spooning for a long time. :) He's a real sweetie (the shelter's page didn't make him sound as sweet as he is, though they really didn't want to place him with children because he could be weird about his food and treats--he's safe with us).

Right now he seems to prefer my husband over me, but that's actually fine with me because I'm home much more often and will be in charge of more of his care, so maybe things will even out. I'd rather he get excited when my husband comes home, than act like he couldn't care less about him and be only attached to me.

Pictures this week--I promise! :)

Dogz
10-07-2003, 08:18 PM
I'm happy to hear that everything is going well. Keep us updated, and I (I'm sure all of us will!) be waiting for some pics!

Foam
10-07-2003, 08:28 PM
Hey! Congrats! He's B*E*A*U*T*I*F*U*L!! :D
More pics please!!! :D

pitc9
10-07-2003, 08:39 PM
Oh he's sooooo hansome!!!!
Congrats!!!!!!

Can't wait for pix!!!!

Karen
10-07-2003, 08:44 PM
Oh yay! Congratulations Smilla! :) And you're in Maynard now, too, I see! He's a beauty, and such nice unique looks he's got! Hope things continue to go smoothly, oh goody, goody, goody, another life saved, another dog set to be spoiled with looooooove! :) :) :)

sabies
10-07-2003, 08:45 PM
Congratulations, he's adorable!

Uabassoon
10-07-2003, 08:49 PM
He so cute! Congrats on adopting a new dog!

SeamusK
10-07-2003, 08:50 PM
SOOO Cuuuute!!!

*Congrats!
*God bless you for adopting!(i'm mad at myself for getting buck from a breeder. Jefe was found in the woods.)
*Good luck with your new beautiful adition to the family.
*CANT WAIT FOR PICTURES

RubyMutt
10-07-2003, 09:09 PM
Congrats!
Lefty is gorgeous! I love those big ears :D I can't wait to see more photos!

clara4457
10-07-2003, 11:06 PM
I am very happy for you. I love greyhounds - and I think they are the most needy of breeds next to pits.

jazzcat
10-08-2003, 01:10 AM
What a cutie! He looks much younger than six years.
Congrats on your new addition!

Rio and Me
10-08-2003, 03:22 AM
Arrrr dont you just LOVE that new pup feeling!!!!!
pics soon!!!!!
Ky and Rio

KYS
10-08-2003, 05:47 AM
Congratulations! and what a handsome boy he is. :)

Pam
10-08-2003, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by Cinder & Smoke
"Just Lookin" never quite seems to work around here... :rolleyes:

"Lefty" is a GOOD Looking Pooch!!

Agreed! Lefty is very handsome and I can't wait to see pictures of him in his forever home! Phred is right! I was at a shelter one day with my daughter, on an errand for her, and just "looked around." End result: Ripley! :) :) :)

Logan
10-08-2003, 06:36 AM
Smilla!!! When you make up your mind, you move fast, don't you! Congratulations!!!!! He is very handsome, and I know enjoyed loving up on you!!!! :D

Logan

anna_66
10-08-2003, 06:55 AM
He is just beautiful:D I can't wait to see some pics of him when you get the chance!!

cloverfdx
10-08-2003, 07:50 AM
Oh my what lovely fellow he is :D that is very exciting, congratulations

Samantha Puppy
10-08-2003, 09:20 AM
Ooooh, he's so cute!!! Congratulations, you new dog owner, you! And kudos to you for getting an older pupper. Lefty is absolutely gorgeous. Give him a big hug and a kiss from me and Samantha!!

Albea
10-08-2003, 09:41 AM
Congratulations, Smilla! What a loving home this beautiful pup will have with you and your husband.:D

Dakota's Mommy
10-08-2003, 10:17 AM
What a cutie! So glad you rescued this pooch!

Smilla
10-08-2003, 10:31 AM
Thank you, everyone, for all of the congratulations!

Lefty had an interesting first night. He was a bit of a pickle because he wanted up on the bed instead of on his little bed beside ours. He would try jumping up discreetly and settling down quickly and quietly--as if he thought we wouldn't notice! ;) (Got to give him credit for being clever!) Needless to say, we didn't get much sleep, but I think he just needs some time to settle in and learn boundaries. The bed is the one place he can't go, so I don't think it'll be too hard.

This morning he was just fine and didn't fuss when I left. I gave him the run of the house, which I'm not sure I should have done, but I wanted to at least try it. He has his "New Dog" exam at the vet this Saturday, so he has a couple of days to settle down.

I'm really excited and can't wait to go home and play with him! :) Thanks again and I hope to post pics soon--meanwhile I also need to get caught up on YOUR kids!

ramanth
10-08-2003, 10:32 AM
CONGRATULATIONS! He's a gorgeous fellow. :D

I think the name Sikan fits him. :)

Smilla
10-08-2003, 10:34 AM
Hey Karen,

Yep, we moved out to Maynard in June; we bought our first home! (We'd never have been able to afford anything in Belmont!) We wanted to get into our own place before getting a dog, and this seems like a great little neighborhood. Friendly neighbors and lots of dogs!

Hope things are going well for you.

S

stacwase
10-08-2003, 12:15 PM
Oh it just makes my heart soar to hear that you got an older "used" dog! Honestly - I wonder who benefits from the rescue more - the dogs or the new owners! Congratulations!

Karen
10-08-2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Smilla
Hey Karen,

Yep, we moved out to Maynard in June; we bought our first home! (We'd never have been able to afford anything in Belmont!) We wanted to get into our own place before getting a dog, and this seems like a great little neighborhood. Friendly neighbors and lots of dogs!

Hope things are going well for you.

S

Congratulations on home ownership. Prices in the metro Boston area are sooo high - we were lucky to buy when we did, as our "appraised value has almost doubled since we bought it - less than 7 years ago!

We got Miss Hoppy soon after we bought our house, it's fun how a furry friend came make a place seem more like home!

lbaker
10-08-2003, 01:08 PM
This news just warmed my heart all over & such a welcome feeling THAT is :) He's a very handsome fellow & I'm sure that finally having his VERY OWN FAMILY will help him get settled in quickly. What good news for all :) Hope you find things went well today when you get home ;)

My Peanuts
10-08-2003, 02:09 PM
That is so nice. I can't think of anything so rewarding as saving a dog from a shelter. Your new buddy is very lucky, CONGRADULATIONS!

GSDgurl
10-08-2003, 04:29 PM
!!~CONGRADULATIONS~!!

He is very handsome boy~!! Can't wait to see more pictures of him~!:D

Logan
10-08-2003, 07:43 PM
Smilla,
If you get a chance, let us know how he did today! You were quite the trusting mom!!!!! :)
Logan

lizbud
10-08-2003, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Logan
Smilla,
If you get a chance, let us know how he did today! You were quite the trusting mom!!!!! :)
Logan

Hello Smilla,

I was wondering the same thing.:D :D Congrats on your new
fella, I love his coloring. Beautiful dog. Hope all went well today.

Smilla
10-08-2003, 08:49 PM
Good news! He didn't have an accident, didn't chew or anything--I'm actually wondering just HOW he spent his day! He was very happy to see me when I got home and wanted out, so I took him for a nice walk (trot). He's been curled up with us on the couch for the past hour or so, and is in a very sweet mood. :) I guess I'll do the same thing tomorrow!

lizbud
10-08-2003, 09:02 PM
Smilla,

Great news.:) :) Sounds like a wonderful first time alone.
I've often wondered what Smokey does all day while I'm at
work. Thought about installing a mini-cam or something so I
could get him on tape.:D It would be interesting wouldn't it?

K9karen
10-08-2003, 11:37 PM
Hey Smilla! Great to hear from you, long lost friend! Congrats on your new addition! "Lefty" is an awesome combo and very very handsome! Sounds like you picked a winner (but aren't they all? ;) ) I changed Logan's name from "Rocky" and it only took her a little over a week to adjust, but then she's still young. But I don't think it matters. Lucky you! No seperation problems! What a really good boy! Klo peed inside the first day (anxiety), then again when my brother roughed housed w/her. Other than that, 3 months of no problems. We finally leave her ungated and free to roam too. I know now what people say..they know they're yours forever. Can't wait to see pictures! Welcome back!

Smilla
10-09-2003, 11:06 AM
Hey K9Karen!

Good to see you again!

I'm so sorry about your loss of Cody last April. That's a very sweet picture in your signature.

Your Logan is a beautiful girl, and I hope she brings you many happy moments!

Rachel
10-09-2003, 11:40 AM
Oh what a surprise. I am very happy for both you and Lefty. It sounds as if you are all off to a great start. Good thing about him liking your husband as it is not uncommon for some shelter dogs to be shy of men, so you have a true gem there. Do you know anything about his history?

About the bed thing, I know you have legitimate reasons for not wanting him to sleep on the bed, but from those of us who share our beds with one or more dogs, it comes highly recommended. ;)

Congratulations on your new addition.