PDA

View Full Version : Adopting Black cats in Oct.?

Fox-Gal
10-07-2003, 05:54 PM
Something came up today when I went to the shelter to drop some food off. There was this woman that wanted to adopt out a Black & white cat. The rules at the shelter are that no cat with majority balck in them are adopted out in the month of Oct. This woman was not very happy about it...she really wanted this cat. She was told to come back in Nov. and they would hold the cat for her till then. She made some comment about going to one of the local pet stores to get a cat. The shelter told her that even pet stores in our area won't sell a Black in Oct. She left mad as He#l.

The woman working the shelter asked me "what do you think should I have let her take the cat. I do know her, some, from my church?" She says "It's not like we haven't bent the rules before for people we know." They have...I know that, they have bent them for me before. I had to tell her I belived she did the right thing and to not feel bad about it.

The whole thing bothered me...why did she have to have a Black cat....right then? Enough, that she was going to buy a different black cat from the pet store instead of waiting a few weeks till Nov. to get the cat she said she just had to have. Then again I could see some of the womans reason for being so upset. The woman at the shelter knew her, so maybe she took it as a personaly comment about her. Who knows, But just because the woman goes to the same church doesn't mean she not some sort of sicko. I just had a odd feeling about her.

I always knew that the shelter didn't adopted out Black cats in Oct. but I never knew that our pet stores did the same thing. I was glad to hear it. I just assume that most shelter are the same when it come to adopting blacks cats out in Oct. but, maybe I'm wrong. Do shelters / pet stores in your area adopt out Black cats in Oct.? Just curious.

RedHedd
10-07-2003, 06:04 PM
Nope, no black cats available in October in the San Francisco Bay Area. Orangies rule! :)

Uabassoon
10-07-2003, 06:24 PM
It's the same here, I think it's a good idea. I also think it's a little strange that the lady threw such a fit and then claimed she was going to get a cat somewhere else. I think it was a good desicion not to give her the cat.

moosmom
10-07-2003, 07:12 PM
The shelter I volunteer at doesn't adopt out any black cats for till the 2nd week in November. I agree with it and think that shelter did the right thing. I mean, what's the big deal anyway? If the lady threw such a hissy fit, I'd have been a little suspicious as well. Especially since she said she was going to a pet store to get a black one.

Too many weirdos out there to risk the life of a precious innocent animal.

momofcats
10-07-2003, 07:30 PM
I believe the shelters in the area do not adopt out any black cats, but I don't know about the stores.
Very odd behavior .... if she is an animal lover and cares about the safety of the animal (and just had to have this cat)... a couple of weeks shouldn't make a difference to her under these circumstances.

rg_girlca
10-07-2003, 08:47 PM
You know, i've never heard of this in Montreal. In fact, i've seriously never heard of this at all.
Just out of curiousity, i'm going to call our SPCA, rescue center and go to the pet shops around here and inquire if they do this or not. I'd be very interested in finding out.
I'm assuming this has to do with Halloween.
What do people do, adopt a black cat just for Halloween and then want nothing more to do with it after that? Please don't tell me they do any harm to the cats.:(

IttyBittyKitty
10-07-2003, 09:27 PM
Is that a religious or superstitious thing? I don't think any shelters or pet stores in Australia do that ...

While I personally think it would be a bit silly to impose your religious or superstitious belief on others, I would agree to the policy if people tended to "adopt" black cats just for haloween. Or worse, if there were satanists who used them in rituals or something. And I would definitely be a bit suss about this lady!

jazzcat
10-07-2003, 10:11 PM
At Halloween some people have done really cruel things to black cats. It's unbelievable what some people consider Halloween fun.
That is why no black cat adoptions in Oct. I think around here they only do the restriction the week of Halloween but that may have changed to the whole month now.

krazyaboutkatz
10-08-2003, 12:14 AM
I know that they used to follow this policy here but when I was visiting my local Humane Society, I asked a woman working there about this policy and she told me that yes they do adopt black cats out during the month of October. They do this because they charge $125 per cat for the adoption fee. I guess they feel that no one would spend this kind of money and then harm the cat. I sure hope she's right. I was shocked when I heard this.

They also now allow people to have indoor/outdoor cats instead of the indoor only policy that they used to have. I learned this when I was adopting Sky. It sure seems like they're relaxing their rules quite a bit.

shais_mom
10-08-2003, 01:08 AM
Yea that woman really would give me the creepers also!! :(
I don't think our humane soc adopts black cats out either. I am not sure tho. I would doubt it since they are so strict with everything else.

IttyBittyKitty
10-08-2003, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by jazzcat
At Halloween some people have done really cruel things to black cats. It's unbelievable what some people consider Halloween fun.
That is why no black cat adoptions in Oct. I think around here they only do the restriction the week of Halloween but that may have changed to the whole month now.

That's pretty sick :(:mad:

sqwelch
10-08-2003, 07:25 AM
I have never heard of this policy in my life, I just can't bring myself to think that there are sickos out there that would harm a black cat cos its halloween, its outrageous !!!! What kinda sick world do we live in !!!

K & L
10-08-2003, 08:08 AM
Nope! No adoption of black cats here either!

Samantha Puppy
10-08-2003, 08:32 AM
No black cat adoptions during October in Maryland (well, my area of it) either!

2kitties
10-08-2003, 09:36 AM
I know two black cats who will stay snug as a bug INSIDE my house on Halloween night!

ramanth
10-08-2003, 11:00 AM
I think our shelter has gotten to the point where no animals are adopted out in October.

It's sad but understandable.

catlover4ever
10-08-2003, 12:25 PM
I don't know if it is policy around here (CT) but I always remind my mom to make sure all of her kitties (black or not) stay in at least 4 - 5 days before Halloween and about 2 more days afterwards. There have been some pretty nasty, cruel "jokes" done to animals, not just the cats, in my area.
:mad: :mad: :mad:

Samantha Puppy
10-08-2003, 12:35 PM
Same here, catlover4ever. Sherman HATES being kept inside (if it's nice weather, anyway), but after some of the things that've happened to poor innocent kitties around here, I'd rather have him mad at me than to have something horrible happen...

Cataholic
10-08-2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by 2kitties
I know two black cats who will stay snug as a bug INSIDE my house on Halloween night!

I see you and up you 4.......:D

Fox-Gal
10-08-2003, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by ramanth
I think our shelter has gotten to the point where no animals are adopted out in October.

It's sad but understandable.

No animals at all? I know people do some sick things with balck cats but other animals too?! I guess better safe then sorry, but I'm sure that hurts the shelters some for that one month.

I know more I thought about that woman wanting a Black cat so bad, it was scary just thinking about what she might have had in mind for the cat. I hate judging people, but after more thought about it, I'm not sure I even let her have the cat in Nov. if it was up to me. A woman with no understaning about the cats welfare shouldn't have a cat at all.

BastetsMum
10-08-2003, 04:19 PM
That is just so sick!

I can understand why shelters and responsible pet store owners would not want to adopt out Black Cats in October.

The reason why black cats are not adopted in October is that in the Northern Hemisphere Halloween (Samhain) is a pagan sabbat where the veils are the thinest between our world (world of the physical) and the otherworld (world of faeries).

Cats (any colour) have always been linked with witches. It was written in the dark ages that witches used cats to spy on other people by transforming themselves into the cat. So by killing a cat you are also killing the witch. Black cats in particular where mostly the *harbourer* of witches since they are the most powerful of the domestic cat.

This of course is a complete fallacy but the fear still is ingrained in some people that black cats are evil and have a witch inside them etc ....

I would like to point out though - that being pagan myself - we have a rule of *harm ye none* that INCLUDES animals. The people who want black cats in October in the northern hemisphere would probably want to harm the animal. The person at hte shelter did right by not giving that lady that cat. Animal Abusers come in all shapes and forms.

Sorry for the long post. End of rant.

carole
10-08-2003, 08:52 PM
I have not checked with any of our shelters here, but I think most new zealanders at least the sane ones, don't have this stupid superstition about black cats, infact I think they are considered good luck here.

However I agree with your shelters doing that, very responsible, I cannot believe any human would believe a black cat has a witch in them ,good grief some people:rolleyes:

If anything my lil Lexie has an angel in her, nothing else.

Sad to think, in this day and age such silly ideas are still believed.

BastetsMum
10-09-2003, 04:15 AM
I wholeheartedly agree Carole. There is a long list of black cats and superstition, there is a longer list of why cats are bad for everything from allergies to birdlife.

What people(s) don't understand is that cats have been here a little longer (by a few thousand years) than what we have.

I think its a tragic situation that we are supposed to be a rational society and some of us still beleive that cats harbour somekind of fictional evil in them.

Soledad
10-09-2003, 07:37 AM
I don't really think Americans walk around thinking black cats have a witch inside them. A lot of people here just like an excuse to do disgusting things on Halloween/Devil's Day. It just happens that cats are symbolically linked to the holiday.

Halloween is actually a big deal in the U.S., as compared with my experience in NZ where it is barely discussed. I remember a lot of protests in NZ over Halloween because it was an "evil" holiday. So, I guess we all have our superstitions.:rolleyes:

ramanth
10-09-2003, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by BastetsMum
This of course is a complete fallacy but the fear still is ingrained in some people that black cats are evil and have a witch inside them etc ....

I would like to point out though - that being pagan myself - we have a rule of *harm ye none* that INCLUDES animals. The people who want black cats in October in the northern hemisphere would probably want to harm the animal. The person at hte shelter did right by not giving that lady that cat. Animal Abusers come in all shapes and forms.

Sorry for the long post. End of rant.
Thanks for the post BastetsMum. I'm pagan too. It's good to point out that animals are cherished in our belief (at least I cherish/worship them :D ). NOT sacrificed.

10-09-2003, 09:56 AM
What a weird rule! I have never ever heard about this before :confused: ! I've never liked Halloween before, and now even less :(
btw: Halloween was pretty unknown here up to about 5 years ago; people learned all about Halloween from certain movies, and now it is become popular too; but mostly only among adults; the habit of kids going from door to door for "trick-or-tricking" is still not done here(which was the only fun part in Halloween :rolleyes: )

Poor black cats!!!

kitten645
10-09-2003, 11:10 AM
Being a black cat mom x2 I've heard all sorts of odd things. Also being pagan I've heard all sorts of weird things about that as well. I adopted my kids in July and was told then that they were so happy they were being adopted because blackies (complete blackies w/not a stitch of white) are the hardest to place. I also know that the SFSPCA doesn't adopt out black cats around Halloween. My kids are strictly indoors, not only for ANY kitties safety but ESPECIALLY because they are black. Wicked people AND additionally hard to see at night (learned very well when Calvin escaped one night!) I just left a note on the door of a neighbor who allows her blackie out to please consider keeping Mr. Chip inside for the next few weeks especially at night. He's older and SO friendly that I fear for his safety especially around nasty kids/teens.
I also like the Wicca philosophy that what you do will return to you threefold. People who abuse animals are the worst excuses for humans there are.

carole
10-09-2003, 06:20 PM
Soledad, halloween is starting to become a big deal in NZ, the shops are full of the gear to buy, sweets, and my daughter always wants to go trick and treating, alot of people are against it here, as I am because for one, it is just another way to get you to spend ,spend,spend, and I see no point to it, the retailers are the ones who get the most out of it, and trick and treating can be dangerous.

I don't have any religious beliefs either way, if it is evil or not, I just think its another money-making venture.

We in NZ never bothered with it before , so why now?

I am also one who does not think celebrating some guy blowing up the british parliament GUY FAWKES necessary either, but I don't allow my personal opinion to spoil my children's fun.

I think as long as the fireworks were controlled and only available at large outdoor displays, I would be ok with it, too many kids get hurt, and animals as well, not to mention how scared they are.

Back to Halloween, people here were saying , we teach our kid's not to take sweets from strangers, and here we are endorsing trick and treating and taking sweets from exactly that, there are some kooky people out there that would do anything.

When we go trick and treating , I always go with her and a group of her friends, and only to a neighbourhood I know, but even then there are still some dangers.

Soledad
10-09-2003, 06:39 PM
Carole,

You should have seen my husband's reaction to his first American Halloween! He can't believe all of the fuss. He asked me why people are putting pumpkins and decorations out already and why there are so many costumes, etc. I told him that it's October and people usually put stuff up for the month. He couldn't fathom this and muttered, "you people are crazy!" :D

He has conflicted feelings about Halloween because of the way it is regarded in NZ - he is not a Christian, but his basic feeling towards the holiday is that it's evil. I know when I was there last year for Halloween, and the previous years, it was barely noticeable to me. I saw very few things in the shop, several articles on the evils of the holiday by very Christian groups, and one child dressed up on the actual holiday.

It saddened me because I LOVE Halloween. It's a chance to get in costume, and my brothers and I always put a lot of creativity into our costumes. We'd think about it for months! We also helped make a haunted house through Boy Scouts, and always enjoyed making a scare crow and decorating our porch and carving pumpkins for the holiday.

There's nothing sinister about this holiday, as far as I'm concerned. Never once had I or anyone else I'd known received anything other than candy. No razor blades, no weirdos. I don't believe I've ever heard of that happening in America. I believe Snopes.com dispelled the myth of the razor blade apple and went onto say how no such tricks have actually occured on Halloween. Not sure, though.

I think it's a great time to have fun, be someone different for a night and score some great candy!! It's more a celebration of the fall and an excuse to have some fun.

:D

carole
10-09-2003, 06:58 PM
I hear what you are saying soledad.

I am not one to spoil anyone's fun, at least I hope not, but its just so commercial like xmas is, and I find it is just another thing I have to try and afford.

I can imagine it is on a very small scale in NZ, but it is starting to get bigger, when I was a child it did not even exist, and its only been here for a few years, I just don't see why we have to follow suit and copy everyone else, why celebrate it now, when it never was before.

Honestly I am not scrooge, infact I get a kick out of seeing people dressed up , on their way to parties, or trick and treating, but when I hear that black cats are subject to cruelty because of this celebration, that sends shivers up my spine and makes my blood boil, and I am sure you feel the same.

Guess I am just a party pooper after all, sigh.........

Soledad
10-09-2003, 07:01 PM
Nah, you're not a party pooper, just a kiwi! ;) :p

Just kidding. I think you're right, though. No need to make it a holiday if it isn't part of the culture. I don't think NZ has the right attitude about it to make it a decent holiday. It will always be a sort of half-assed attempt because the spirit for the holiday is just not there. It's not a part of your culture.

carole
10-09-2003, 07:04 PM
Your'e right, you could not have put it better, exactly it's not part of our culture!!!!, we are just copying other's.
Do you actually get a public holiday for Halloween in america?

Soledad
10-09-2003, 07:07 PM
As in a day off? Heavens, no! Haven't you read about how cruel and unsual working life is here in the U.S.?? We only get two weeks vacation, if we're lucky. :( :mad:

slick
10-09-2003, 07:26 PM
I've never heard of that up here but some shelters refuse to adopt out during the month of December, knowing that most times a pet given as a surprise Christmas gift is returned.

kitten645
10-09-2003, 07:35 PM
The SFSPCA will only sell certificates of adoption after Thanksgiving. I think it's an excellent idea as the shelter gets the donation and the reciepient gets a choice! I gave one to my boss years ago who hemmed and hawwed about getting a dog. It was just the thing to put him over the edge to adopting a beautiful if not neurotic black cocker spaniel. She's still with him 12 years later!

Catsnclay
10-10-2003, 05:31 PM
As K&L mentioned eairler, the Arizona Humane Society will not adopt out black cats in October, they will also not adopt black cats on Friday the 13th's. We found this out the hard way 6 years ago.

Not realizing the date, we went there and found Lucky. We were able to fill out the paper work, pay them, but we were not able to bring him home for 2 days. When I asked why, that was their answer. Although I wanted him right then and there, I understood, and waited that very long 2 day peroid!!

Unfortunetly there are very sick people in this world, and us "normal" ones have to pay the price.