PDA

View Full Version : Dog Expenses(Help!)

DogLover9501
10-07-2003, 04:40 PM
My boxer puppy is comming on Halloween, and I have made a list of all the expenses of a new puppy, please let me know if you think the prices are not accurate or if I forgot anything! Thanks

Food(Weekly)-$30-50
Kennel/Crate-$15-50
Blankets-$2-10
Toys-$5-25
Toothbrush-$10-30
Brush-$10-20
Bowl- $5-15
Treats- $5-20
Leash- $5-20
Collar-$5-15
ID Tag-$10-15
Neutered- $100+
Needles-$60-70 each

Thanks ~_~

Rio and Me
10-07-2003, 04:51 PM
Not sure of your prices over there but youve given plenty of lee-way so you should in the right direction!!!!
Good luck with your new pup

clara4457
10-07-2003, 04:57 PM
I think you are pretty dead on except for the vet bills. The neutering (at least in my area) runs about 150.00 plus you have to tack on the extras. Hearworm test, shots, exam, blood tests etc. My first vet bill with Leo was about $125.00 and that was with him already neutered and a free vet visit certificate. I may be a little overboard though. I always have bloodwork done whenever I adopt a new dog - that costs me about $50 itself. I could also be off if the pup has already gotten some shots, but there will definitely be more.

KYS
10-07-2003, 05:57 PM
You forgot one more expense for puppies.

Destruction of house and yard. $$$$ :D

binka_nugget
10-07-2003, 06:05 PM
I think that's pretty accurate except the food part seems a bit too high for weekly prices. I pay that much every month or two for two dogs (depending on how much I ended up throwing away). Also, if you're a good shopper, you can probably get away with even less on the toys, bowls and such and have more saved up for emergency vet bills (this seems to happen at one point or another). For instance, instead of going to your petco, petcetera, or whatever else you have there, you can easily find good leashes at dollar stores for half the price. When I went out to buy a new leash at petcetera, I found it hillarious that they charge 20+dollars for a leash that I paid 6 dollars for (which is VERY durable btw). Anyways...I think you're pretty much on the right track.

wolfsoul
10-07-2003, 06:13 PM
The food part doesn't seem very accurate, unless you are buying very expensive food. I'd say it's more around 8-50 dollars a bag, and bags can last a long time. A small bag can get you through a month, and a big bag can get you through a few months.

The needles shouldn't be that much...A pup gets a few shots the first vet check, and I don't think anyone would pay 60-70 dollars each for ALL of them lol.

I'd say that the toys would probably cost more. most toys (fro ma petshop) will cost about 6-10 dollars each. Dollar store toys are cheaper though, and just as good, for maybe 2-5 dollars each.

binka_nugget
10-07-2003, 06:19 PM
LOL jordan, it sounds like the dollar stores are paying us to say this for them...LOL I was so happy when I found 50 poop bags and a 20 foot leash for a buck each. Gotta love those dollar stores eh? :D

We feed Innova which was 40 bucks or so for a 15 pound bag. This lasted about 2 months. It was just Kai eating the first month then Kaedyn came for the second month.

The shots aren't that much for us. We pay about 15 or so each time for the shots alone. We also get a vet check at the same time which is 40. So 55 for vet check+shots....with another checkup when I feel like it's time. Oh yeah, and for the toothbrush..You can get away with paying a couple bucks for a human toothbrush. Just make sure it's soft enough (if you think the dog would like soft better) and the right size. I see no point in paying 10 bucks for a toothbrush that I can easily get for a few bucks at the store Lol.

wolfsoul
10-07-2003, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by binka_nugget
LOL jordan, it sounds like the dollar stores are paying us to say this for them...LOL I was so happy when I found 50 poop bags and a 20 foot leash for a buck each. Gotta love those dollar stores eh? :D

Hehe no doubt. :D Dollar stores are the best.

Leather is on Pet1st which costs $50 a bag and lasts about 2 1/2 months. Timber is on Nutro Dental care which costs $9.00 (it's a smaller bag) and lasts about a month.

Corinna
10-07-2003, 06:26 PM
I just want to know where you get a decent crate for $15-50 . Last one i got at a garage sale and still paid 45 (giant size for newfy)

GoldenRetrLuver
10-07-2003, 06:27 PM
Each time my mom and I take Molly or Daisy to the vet, for shots it's about, $70-80 dollars each. For each of their spaying, it was about $140 for Daisy, and $160 for Molly (her's was more because she needed a hernia removed.) The toy prices sound about right, but whenever I go shop for them, I always spend about $40 each time. :o They're so spoiled..:rolleyes: Mine are fed Nutro Large Breed. It's $40 for the biggest bag, and it lasts about a month.

Good luck with the new puppy. :)

binka_nugget
10-07-2003, 06:28 PM
Our crate was 100+ for a size just big enough for a sheltie (ie not very big). I'm sure ebay will have some around that price. There's also buysell.com which is a classifieds site for canada.

wolf_Q
10-07-2003, 06:28 PM
Yeah to get a crate for a dog that size it will be at least $40 I bet.....Nebo's plastic crate was about $45 and his wire crate was around $80.

I pay about $35 for a 30 lb bag and it lasts about 2 months.

DogLover9501
10-07-2003, 07:44 PM
Yeah, I meant the food thing as monthly not weekly lol he wont eat all that, Also there are sometimes large kennels and crates in the Buy & Sell for $15-45

pitc9
10-07-2003, 08:47 PM
Crates - Buddy's is an XL and it was $110 at Petsmart, I looked on E-Bay, and at the time, didn't know when I was going to find a dog, and had to run out the morning before I picked him up to buy it!

Food, I spend $65 - $80 a month for two GSD's.
And Treats... treats.... treats and more treats!! :D

Blankets, you can always go to a local Goodwill or Salvation Army and buy blankets there! (Sierra ALWAYS chews her up, so I am always buying new ones!!!:rolleyes: )

Since your getting a larger breed dog, you will want to buy a stand for bowls. (so the pup is not eating out of bowls on the floor) Of course your not going to need it right away, but you'll want to get one once him/her gets bigger!

wolfsoul
10-07-2003, 11:54 PM
My dog's don't have crates unfortunatly, but at Petcetera they are about $500. You should look in the paper, go to flea markets/garage sales, thrift shops, or auctions. That's what I'm going to do. Get nice quality things for cheaper prices.

wolf_Q
10-07-2003, 11:56 PM
$500?? :eek:

The nicest fold-down wire crates here are $150 at the most...

You can order them at a good price through PetEdge.

Crikit
10-08-2003, 12:30 AM
For my crates two of which are 300's so around the medium size i payed between $150 and $200 or so at Petcetera while Tama's was around $70 for my mesh crate which is like the second biggest size you can get...all I know is that it fits all three dogs in it... it was $200 or so regular price but I got it on sale for about $180 or so.

lovemyshiba
10-08-2003, 01:27 PM
You're getting him on Halloween?? Costumes run anywhere from $5-$25 here!!!;)

Crates vary so much--Kito's first one (wire) was $80. After he managed to hurt himself in that one, he got another one that was probably around $50, but your dog will be bigger.
Don't forget about all the times you are going to be at the store and say "oh, my baby needs this"--I do it all the time!!!
We also have 2 large ex-pens that were around $80 from jbpets, we keep one here, and one at my parents house.

Add to that, the house we bought, fence we had put in, yard landscaping, lol:)

Riley was $140 for his neuter, and Kito was $210--I have no clue why!!

Keep all of your stuff put away all the time, that should cut back on the stuff you have to replace if the pup damages it!!!

I can't wait to see pictures!!!

Samantha Puppy
10-08-2003, 01:34 PM
Food's not that high. Samantha gets crunchy food to munch on all day - a big bag is about $12 and will last you about 3-4 months. And she likes Pedigree canned food - she gets one can for dinner each night - and those are about $.53/can. So a month's worth of canned food is only about $15.

And I spend much more than that in toys... Every time I go out, I see something I know she'd love and get it. Her toy basket is past capacity!!

DogLover9501
10-08-2003, 02:21 PM
Thanks everyone! Also lovemyshiba..I love your dog Jada, how cute ;) Also I should have some pictures around november!

DogLover9501
10-08-2003, 02:27 PM
Heres my shih-tzu Piddle!

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-10/424533/Piddle.gif

cali
10-08-2003, 04:37 PM
um a crate for a boxer puppy is going to cost more then $50 around her anyway, here you cant get a border collie sized crate for less then $80, and a boxer is even bigger, around here a boxer size will cost $150 at the LEAST. :eek: I dont know how much dog food is, but on raw we dont spend a whole lot, the butcher gives us everything fresh cut for free :p as much as we want. toys are going to cost you the most in the long run though! :D

The nicest fold-down wire crates here are $150 at the most...

and you are in the states right?? convert that to canadian dollers... and it will be just about double that, still less then $500 but not to far away.:eek:

clara4457
10-08-2003, 05:32 PM
I was able to get a very nice crate for Leo from Pets Supplies Plus for about $50. Granted it was on sale, but even regular price it was $69.95 (and Leo weighs in at 83 pounds)