PDA

View Full Version : Phelps to Erect Anti Gay Monument

Uabassoon
10-07-2003, 12:05 PM
Phelps To Erect Matthew Shepard Monument
by 365Gay.com Newscenter Staff

Posted: October 3, 2003 5:57 p.m. ET

(Casper, Wyoming) Anti-gay preacher Fred Phelps has announced intentions to erect a monument to Matthew Shepard the gay college student brutally murdered five years ago near Laramie.

But, the monument will be no memorial. Phelps says the monument would be 5 to 6 feet tall and made of marble or granite. It would bear a bronze plaque bearing the image of Shepard and have an inscription reading "MATTHEW SHEPARD, Entered Hell October 12, 1998, in Defiance of God's Warning: 'Thou shalt not lie with mankind as with womankind; it is abomination.' Leviticus 18:22."

The monument would be erected in downtown Casper, Shepard's home town.

Phelps has sent details of the monument to the city of Casper city council and there may be nothing the city can do to prevent it.

Phelps said he intends to put up the monument in City Park, already the location of a controversial statue of the Ten Commandments.

The Ten Commandments statue was donated to the city by the Fraternal Order of the Eagles in 1965.

After a court battle over a similar monument in the city of Ogden, the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that any city that displays a Ten Commandments monument on public property must also allow monuments espousing the views of other religions or political groups on that same property.

Phelps told Casper council in his letter that if it attempts to prevent him from erecting the homophobic monument he's prepared to go to court.

"That is exactly what I said would happen," said Councilwoman Barb Watters. She said she warned the city when it accepted the Ten Commandments statue that the city risked other monuments advocating anti-Semitism and hatred of other minorities.

''I think the hate language will find a very cold reception in this community,'' councilor Paul Bertoglio said. ''I think this community's backbone is going to come up and say 'We are not going to accept it.'''

The city council is looking at several options, one is fighting Phelps in court, another is moving the Ten Commandments out of the park, and yet another proposal would be to sell the land the park is on.

Phelps says he doesn't care what the city decides. If he is unable to put the statue in City Park he said he will find another location in the city.

During Shepard's funeral members of Phelps' Westoboro Baptist Church demonstrated in front of the chapel.

?365Gay.com? 2003

Uabassoon
10-07-2003, 12:08 PM
This is horrible! I don't understand how someone who calls themself a Christian can do this. Hasn't Matthew Shepard and his family suffered enough? Matthew Shepard died a horrible death, why can't Phelps just leave it alone. If he thinks homosexuality is wrong then it's his descision, but he should still at least have some respect and compassion for Shepard and his family.

catland
10-07-2003, 12:13 PM
The guy is probably a closet-homosexual himself. OK, I know that was mean and an insult to all homosexuals.

Would the city allow a statue of Adolf Hitler with a comment about how wonderful the "final solution" was?

How sad and sick that man is.

Soledad
10-07-2003, 12:34 PM
People disgust me. This man is an abomination and I hope he opens his eyes to the hurt he is causing.:mad:

Logan
10-07-2003, 12:51 PM
This is a "reverend" (and I use that word loosely) that I would not want to be associated with. That is a message of hate, one that the Christianity I practice would not condone.

This makes me very sad. :(

babolaypo65
10-07-2003, 12:54 PM
His behavoir is UNchristian.
His heart is full of hate.

My thoughts are with the Shepard family who once again have to see their innocent boy's memory stained by this evil man.

aly
10-07-2003, 12:59 PM
This is utterly disgusting. I am so mad and hurt by this :(

babolaypo65
10-07-2003, 01:06 PM
Has anyone ever visited Phelp's website. He's a pretty messed up, and I think dangerous, man.

mugsy
10-07-2003, 01:10 PM
I certainly hope the city of Casper has enough gumption to not allow him to put it up. So much for Christian.....amazing what fanatics will come up with. But, he will probably get his way...he has his right of freedom of expression :mad: :mad: regardless of how hateful it is.

Cheshirekatt
10-07-2003, 01:16 PM
Well if it ever actually gets erected I'd be more than willing to participate in a road trip to go knock it down.

Imagine how this makes the victims family feel. How hateful.

2kitties
10-07-2003, 01:24 PM
This absolutely breaks my heart. I can't belive this man calls himself anything other than Nazi, much less a Christian.
Fine, I say put it up. Then put one up of Fred Phelps right next to it. Say "Fred Phelps, will enter Hell, for in Defiance of God's Warning: Judge not, lest ye be judged." Matthew 7:1 The Holy Bible

This man is an *** and all he will do is hurt Matthew Shepherd's family. If Matthew Shepherd loved God, then he sits in Heaven today and hurts because his family will be hurt by this evil, small man.

RICHARD
10-07-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by catland
The guy is probably a closet-homosexual himself. OK, I know that was mean and an insult to all homosexuals.

Don't apologize for calling him a CH...

People who yell and scream the loudest are the
biggest hypocrites.

Rush Limbaugh was so anti-drug, always calling for
prison time and such for people who smoked pot, popped pills......look at him..

Senor Phelps is probably trying to work off some indigressions he was a part of. Notice his use of the word "erect"....;)

Ya gotta love religion!

babolaypo65
10-07-2003, 02:03 PM
Indigressions. GREAT word Richard...

Originally posted by RICHARD
Don't apologize for calling him a CH...

People who yell and scream the loudest are the
biggest hypocrites.

Rush Limbaugh was so anti-drug, always calling for
prison time and such for people who smoked pot, popped pills......look at him..

Senor Phelps is probably trying to work off some indigressions he was a part of. Notice his use of the word "erect"....;)

Ya gotta love religion!

Pam
10-07-2003, 02:03 PM
Rev. (and, like Logan, I use the term loosely) Phelps has totally missed the message of Christ if he ever knew it. Aside from this being unbelievably cruel to Matthew Shepard's family, it makes me cringe to think that others will think this is normal behavior for Christians. :(

carole
10-07-2003, 02:05 PM
Phelps is one SICK INDIVIDUAL, IMO, and I agree a dangerous man, I cannot believe what I read, I was totally shocked.

I really feel for the family of the victim, enough is enough, personally I think Phelps is the one going to HELL.

I really was angered and sickened by this story.:mad:

RICHARD
10-07-2003, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by babolaypo65
Indigressions. GREAT word Richard...

lolololololololol, it works in MY universe.

'indiscretions'

what do you want from me????? perfection?
:rolleyes:

God, you'd think you would let go of the teacher persona for a few minutes......sheesh!;)

Twisterdog
10-07-2003, 05:17 PM
Please don't judge all of Wyoming by freaks like this. Most of us here are normal human beings. :(

babolaypo65
10-07-2003, 05:23 PM
i thought it was so cool!! indiscretions, digressions...
it works!

Originally posted by RICHARD
lolololololololol, it works in MY universe.

'indiscretions'

what do you want from me????? perfection?
:rolleyes:

God, you'd think you would let go of the teacher persona for a few minutes......sheesh!;)

catland
10-07-2003, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Twisterdog
Please don't judge all of Wyoming by freaks like this. Most of us here are normal human beings. :(

Hey, there isn't anyone of us who doesn't have some kind of nut case in our own back yard. Case in point, Oregon is (in)famous for being the home of Lon Mabon and the Oregon Citizens Alliance - a group of people with about as much tolerance as Phelps and his unholy order.

clara4457
10-07-2003, 05:43 PM
Not quite sure how someone could put a statue up on public land - especially if it has a supposed religious message. Wouldn't it fall under the "seperation of church and state"? Of course no one could prevent him putting it up on private property unfortunately.

If for some unknown reason, he is allowed to put that disgusting message in a public place - friends and supporters of Matthew Shepard should put their own statue up right next to it. Or something tells me if it does go up - it won't last very long.

RubyMutt
10-07-2003, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Cheshirekatt
Well if it ever actually gets erected I'd be more than willing to participate in a road trip to go knock it down.

I'm with you, Kat! :mad: And we could carpool since we don't live too far from each other ;)

It disgusts me how people can be so closed-minded and hateful :(

puppygrrl4eva7
10-07-2003, 08:23 PM
That's truly disgusting, This person died, and his family and friends still miss him, and now there's going to be a monument saying that he " Entered Hell ", My god I wanna Punch that sick-stupid a$$ shi* for brains "Reverend" right In the face! Why does he care about what gender people prefer dating?! It's not even his own business! If he can bulid a monument saying certain people went to Hell for being homosexual, can I build a monument saying I want Him to die?! And I want him to be put in Jail?And that I want him to "enter hell"? It's freedom of speech....................

Tonya
10-07-2003, 08:31 PM
I hope Fred Phelps burns in hell. That is sickening. He gives Christians a bad name.

Kfamr
10-07-2003, 08:50 PM
This is honestly the worst thing i've heard.
How could someone do that?
How could people support this man, or befriend this man?
Man? Heck who am I kidding. He's not a man, he's a disgrace.

Whatever would make a person think of doing something like that? He's going to waste his money, on a monument to make fun of a dead person, in which his family has already suffered enough? He truely needs mental help, if his hate is so strong against Homosexuals, as to where he'd put it against a dead person or any person at all.

I really wish I could say more. The whole story about Matthew, and now this. How horrible are people. It's disgusting.:( :( :mad: :( :(

babolaypo65
10-07-2003, 09:10 PM
He's also the man who orchestrated the protests at Shepard's funeral. AT HIS FUNERAL!!!! He's truly despicable, and obsessed. He has made it his life's work to stop what he sees as the honoring of a sinner.

He's a sick, sick, dangerous man.

mugsy
10-07-2003, 09:28 PM
The temptation to write a scathing letter to this idiot is almost overwhelming, but, I hesitate to give the man the attention that he so desperately wants. It's truly sad when people will go to any lengths to get attention....even if it's negative.

Fox-Gal
10-07-2003, 09:30 PM
OMG what a sick person. How could any HUMAN being put a grieving family through that.

Oh, I forgot he's not a HUMAN BEING and you have to be human to have compassion for others.

Lets hope it doesn't go up but if for some reason it does, I don't belive it will stay up long.

What goes up must come down!

I have a feeling that there are people out there that will see to that and if they need help...I'll help.

clara4457
10-07-2003, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by mugsy
The temptation to write a scathing letter to this idiot is almost overwhelming, but, I hesitate to give the man the attention that he so desperately wants. It's truly sad when people will go to any lengths to get attention....even if it's negative.

Yes - but with freedom comes prices - like letting free speech reign.

CathyBogart
10-08-2003, 12:39 AM
This article literally put me in tears...I can't believe that anyone could possibly be so willfully cruel to any fellow creature. He is a horrible person, truly despicable....It's pathetic.

IttyBittyKitty
10-08-2003, 07:24 AM
I always thought that guy was a total freak! He doesn't give two hoots about the word of God nor Christ's teachings - he simply wants to promote violent homophobia under the thin guise of Christianity.

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone ... methinks that the ol JC would have much to say about this lunatic.

cloverfdx
10-08-2003, 08:32 AM
ohhhh that is sickening, that so called "man" is a disgrace to all human beings.

DITTO

lovemyshiba
10-08-2003, 09:33 AM
This is absolutely horrifying and disgusting.

That "man" has serious problems. He thinks he is a Christian?? One thing I learned in all my years at Catholic school (besides the correct length for my plaid skirt and knee socks), was tolerance, and to love one another as God has loved us, and not to intentionally hurt one another.
He would be doing all of this--hurting the family and friends (and everyone else who cares), demonstrating hatred for someone who was "different" from him.

I think he needs to be turned into a statue--leave him standing outside tied to a pole for everyone to mock (I know that contradicts with my previous statement).

I'll also join you in the road trip to take care of it.

curiosityrats
10-08-2003, 12:08 PM
Very disturbing that that man can be so insecure about his own faith, sexuality, and morality that he would consider something like that...

There are all kinds of psycopaths in the world.

If he doesn't get some help (medication? enlightenment?), he'll probably be "lynched" someday (in broad daylight in front of hundreds of people--with no witnesses... if you know what I mean). Not that I'd really wish this on him, but he will get whatever he deserves--if not in life, then afterwards. And I'm strong enough in my faith that I don't need to erect a statue to be convinced of THAT.

This is one of the most disturbing pictures of a human being's (using term lightly) mentaliy that I have ever heard of. And a man who claims to be a follower of Christianity... Stop me if I'm wrong but wasn't there this "guy" in the New Testament that went around helping "sinners," forgiving them, and getting ticked off at people who chastized and persecuted them??

After all "Love thy neighbor" was engraved in stone. You'd think THAT rule is one God is a bit more concerned about...

Soledad
10-08-2003, 12:15 PM
I'm not a Christian, but I'm definitely a fan of Jesus, and it always amazes me how some people who call themselves Christians seem to lose sight of the words that came out of Jesus' mouth. It seems so basic!!

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
10-08-2003, 07:45 PM
GRRRRRR!!!!!! YOU DO NOT KNOW HOW MUCH THAT OUTRAGES ME!!!!! WHAT IS WRONG WITH HOMOSEXUALS???????????

Personally, he will go to hell, not Matthew.

That makes me SO angry. If a man loves another man, LET HIM BE!!! If that's what he wants, let him.

GOSH!!!

mugsy
10-08-2003, 09:15 PM
I'll be interested to see what our band director has to say about the article. I emailed it to him. He's VERY outspoken, and VERY liberal, so it ought to be an eventful conversation at lunch tomorrow. It's amazing that normal thinking people are outraged at this, but yet he'll probably be able to put it up just because he'll scream that his rights are being infringed upon.

babolaypo65
10-08-2003, 09:29 PM
You're right mugs... as the article points out, sadly the 1960s decision to allow the 10 commandments was precident.... the probably can't fight it.
now, my secret hope is it's VANDALIZED as quickly as it goes up...

in NM we had a similar thing. one group wanted a statue of Onate on public land. he was a powerful Spanish explorer, who the Indians hated (he had the nasty habit of cutting off their feet to keep them in control). anyway. the statue was erected and almost as quickly someone (a group) cut off its feet.

curiosityrats
10-08-2003, 09:33 PM
Free speech doesn't protect slander...

babolaypo65
10-08-2003, 09:36 PM
You're right curiosity. But can it be proven that Shepard isn't in hell? Thats the problem....

mugsy
10-08-2003, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by babolaypo65
in NM we had a similar thing. one group wanted a statue of Onate on public land. he was a powerful Spanish explorer, who the Indians hated (he had the nasty habit of cutting off their feet to keep them in control). anyway. the statue was erected and almost as quickly someone (a group) cut off its feet.

Yes, he was a jerk. But, then the Spanish in general weren't very nice people when it came to the Native Americans, the 2 exception being Bartolome de Las Casas and Junipero Serra. But that was a great reaction!! Cudos to them!

babolaypo65
10-08-2003, 10:03 PM
It was great. The statue wasn't up a week before the feet were gone. And MAN had the pueblos, the navajos, and more so the apaches fought the erecting of that statue!

Soledad
10-09-2003, 07:29 AM
The Spanish treated American Indians horribly, but we in the U.S. can hardly point fingers. Bit of the old pot calling the kettle black.

mugsy
10-09-2003, 07:54 AM
Yes, Soledad, but it was the Spanish IN America, BEFORE it became America that caused the trouble that we are referring to. No, the English pretty much sucked too. The only country that had even the slightest inkling of caring about the Native Americans was France (God I hate saying that! lol).

Sooooo....is the statue still up? I think they should have left it up footless so that when people go to look at it and ask why it doesn't have any feet, they would have to explain what he did to the Natives....just desserts!! hehehehe (Yes, it's true, I am an evil person)

babolaypo65
10-09-2003, 08:23 AM
You know, I'm not sure if the statue is still up... I'll ask.