PDA

View Full Version : Vet Visit

Stenograsaurus
08-22-2001, 07:46 AM
I took my dogs to the Vets last night. They needed their shots. Patience gained 30 pounds. :) She's up to 70 now. She still needs to gain more though. I'll need to take her back to have her teeth cleaned. They will have to put her under. :(
Dakota weighs 80 pounds. He's gained a few pounds but he's not fat. I had the Vet check his ear because he always has wax build up in it. Well, it turns out he has an ear infection. :eek: He actually has two ear infections in the same ear, Bacteria and Yeast. I have four different medication for him, one antibiotic, an ear cleaner, a cream for the yeast and antibiotic liquid for the bacteria. The poor boy must have been in some pain. He never let me know though. The Vet said that the morning cleaning is very important. He said if I can't do it to bring him in in the morning and he'd do it for free. He said the bacteria infection could go to his brain. I'm just hoping that he's not had this infection so long that it already has. Good thing he needed his shots so we were able to find this out.
Anyway, keep them in your prayers. I'll let you know when Patience's cleaning is.

08-22-2001, 07:58 AM
Hi, Did I miss something with Patience? She still needs to gain weight? She used to way 40 pounds? Did I read that right? Wow. Just fill me in if you could. That worries me! As for poor Dakota, ear infections stink! If they are anything like human ones - OUCH!!!!! I had ear infections in BOTH ears at the same time one summer. Constant pain :(
Dakota is in my thoughts and prayers and feed Patience some fattening stuff :) She will love it anyway! Good luck with taking care of Dakota's ears. It sounds like you have a FANTASTIC vet!

Stenograsaurus
08-22-2001, 09:10 AM
Well, here we go on Patience. Patience was a stray that I found last July. She was as close to starved as I have ever seen an animal to be. She is a Shepherd. She was seen by my mother about a month before I found her so she was on the run for a while. She had recently had a litter. I assume she came out of the woods because they all died. Her teeth are very bad. Some of them didn't grow in. I'm assuming she didn't have the proper nutrition. Her four long ones in the front are all chipped. She is around two now. Her first year must have been poor hell. When I brought her home, she did the dive into the carpet because I don't know what it is thing. She literally jumped on top of the counters and tried to get up on them to get food. It was quite evident she had never been inside a house before. We had a long road to travel with her but it was well worth it. She is a Godsend.

08-22-2001, 10:12 AM
Wow. I am stunned. I am also thrilled that she crossed your path and that you saved her life. What a hardship that poor thing has had to go thru! Am I correct in saying that her name has a strong meaning to the life she lead? Because if not it was an amazing accident that her name is Patience. I am even MORE glad to hear that she has gained that 30 pounds. I never would have guess from her pics that she was under weight or had such a crummy life in the beginning. Continued good luck - it sounds like she is progressing like a champ! thanks to you and your family of course :)

Daisy's Mom
08-22-2001, 12:18 PM
Wow I didn't know Patience's story either. What a lucky girl she is to be safe and happy with you now! Good luck fattening her up! At least your aren't having to slim her down; Honey, Lilly, and Hannah have been posting their diet horror stories :) Fattening up is a lot mroe fun!

Poor Dakota :( I will keep him in my prayers. Two infections in one ear? That's rough! Kisses to him!

jackiesdaisy1935
08-22-2001, 03:53 PM
I hadn't heard the story of Patience either, poor girl, thank goodness you took her in and she has a wonderful forever home now. What an awful first year she must have had and she has the right name for a sweet girl.
Hope Dakota is feeling better now.

Sudilar
08-22-2001, 07:34 PM
Patience is very lucky to have found you!!! Hope Dakota's ear clears up soon and Patience continues to put on the pounds!! Good luck!

Gio
08-23-2001, 10:14 AM
I'm happy that Patience was lucky enough to find you. I will keep both her and Dakota in my thoughts.

Stenograsaurus
08-23-2001, 11:26 AM
Hello, all. Poor Dakota. When I did the first two ear cleanings, he didn't know what was coming. Now as soon as I get the cleaner he looks at me and we start our little game of run around the table. He's really scratching it a lot lately. I'm hoping that it's itching because it's healing. He's enjoying the extras that I'm hiding his pills in though. So is Patience. I can't give one dog table food and not the other.
When I first found Patience, I took her right to the humane society. I told them to call me as a last resort. I checked in on her every weekend. The one weekend I was there, they said, did you get your call. I said, No. Good thing I was there. They were going to put her down the next day. Either they never called or someone didn't tell me. My daughter and I were the only ones that wanted her. My husband said we had no room. My mother (who comes to my house to baby-sit my daughter) said she would refuse to come if I got another big dog. I didn't let that stop me though. They have since grown to love her once they saw how awesome she was. Anyway, back to how she got her name. When I was putting her in the car, some guy pulled in beside me and just looked at her in horror. I smiled and said, I have a lot of work ahead of me, huh? He just smiled. So I joked and said maybe I'll call her work. When I brought her home, took her in the house and saw how she acted I said to myself, I'm going to need a lot of patience with this one. So Patience stuck with her. I feel that we are the lucky ones to have found her. She is not the brightest crayon in the box but what she's lacking in brains she makes up for in love.