PDA

View Full Version : That's It!!! I'm Turning In My Car And Buying A Pair Of Roller Skates!!

moosmom
10-06-2003, 06:24 PM
For the second time in 2 weeks, I got a ticket!!! :mad: I am SO not used to these Michigan speed limits. 2 weeks ago, I was driving home from work. I got pulled over for doing 49 in a 35. (35 mph, PFFFFFT!!! I can walk faster than that!!!) When I went to get my license outta my wallet, it wasn't there!! :mad: The day before (Sunday) I went to Sam's Club and didn't have my card so had to show some form of ID to get in. Of course, it was my license. Did I put it back in my wallet??? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, I put it in the back pocket of my jeans. Fortunately I had my old CT license that had my picture on it. I got a ticket for failure to carry my license on me. I'm going to court for that one. It was an honest mistake.

Today, I just get outta work and made a right turn onto Fort Street, which is a VERY busy, fast moving street. There were other cars going just as fast as I was. I have a standard which means I have to go a little fast just to shift into gear. BANG!!! I got caught on radar going 49 in a 35. This time I got a ticket for speeding. First one in my entire life!!! He said he was doing me a favor by saying I only went 5 miles over the speed limit. Gee thanks!! :mad: I'm going to pay for that one. But I swear, I'm either getting a bicycle or scooter. :mad:

And no, I don't want cheese with my whine, thank you very much!!

I cannot believe the speed limits in this state!!!I'm done venting now. Thanks for listening. As they say, this too shall pass, I HOPE!!

lovemyshiba
10-06-2003, 07:05 PM
That sucks Donna.

There is nothing like a cop talking to you to humble you a little--I get so quiet and embarassed. Last week I was driving to work, going 39 in a 45, I see the cop, check my spedometer, and breathe. He pulls out behind me (which always makes me nervous), and before I know it, the lights and sirens are on. In a panic, I pull over, and he kept going--he was trying to get around me. I had to wait a couple minutes before I could drive--I got so nervous!!!!!

I would fight the first ticket too--I think it was an honest mistake.

slleipnir
10-06-2003, 07:58 PM
That does suck..the cops around here are lazy..my mom was going 15-20 km over the speed limit..this cop follows her for a while, then drives off..?? Ok..I guess it was a warning. But still..

boscibo
10-06-2003, 08:23 PM
Here is Wisconsin in town the speed limits are 25 mph! When I first moved here 14 years ago I got 2 speeding tickets within 6 months. 25 mph is so slow. The yare starting to extend it out of town more and more because of all the new housing developments on the edge of town.

sasvermont
10-06-2003, 08:28 PM
There are parts of certain towns here in VT where the speed limit is 25. I have a ticket in my desk drawer from last year, for going 44 in a 25 mph zone. My car will not go 25 without stalling. Needless to say, I use my cruise control now...set at 30...ish....

I was stopped last week and was given a warning.... for going 65 in a 50 mph zone.

Can you say HEAVY FOOT?

:D

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
10-06-2003, 09:15 PM
*cough cough* My sis is a police officer in Wisconsin *cough cough*

shais_mom
10-07-2003, 12:04 AM
yikes Donna!
Yea I would fight the first one!!
I got pulled over going 70 in a 55 a couple years ago, and didn't have my license on me either. And I even got pulled over by a female state trooper and she was so NICE to me I couldn't believe it! no joke!!!:eek: I explained to her that I had left my license in my back pocket of my jeans and gave her my ARRT card. ( American Registered Radiologic Tech) and she said "OH that's fine don't worry about it!" so after she gave me the ticket, I asked her if she needed me to fax a copy to her office, or show it when I payed my ticket, she said not to worry about it. I am not kidding she was so nice when she walked away from my car, she said "stay safe'' and I said ''THANK YOU" then I realized what I had said and I said "Oh well not thank you but ........." and she laughed and said "It's ok, I know what you mean!"

On another note but it IS about carrying your license with you.
Just last Monday we had some Joe Schmo off the street come into our office at the HOSPITAL where I work, when noone was around and lifted 3 wallets out of 3 purses. Credit cards, cash, driver's license, social secuirity cards ----GONE!!!!
We were talking to a cop the next day and he told us that he tells women in his self defense course he teaches to NOT carry their license in their wallet, b/c if your wallet/purse is taken then they have your address. He said to keep it with your car keys, or keep it in your pocket so you can have it for ID purposes.
One of the girls that got her wallet stolen, went to the license bureau to get a new license. They wouldn't give her one b/c she didn't have her social security card (it was taken too), you can't get another SS card without your birth certificate and a valid driver's license!. She tried using her husband's health card b/c it has her SS number on it, they wouldn't accept it b/c it didn't have her name on HIS card even tho the policy is in her name!
She has to wait 2 weeks before she gets a new Health insurance card. She asked the lady "what if I get pulled over before I get a license" and the lady oh so delicately quipped " Well, you can be charged with driving without a license b/c you don't have one if you get pulled over!!!!!!":eek: :eek: :eek: :mad: :mad: :mad: The good news is they caught the guy and found a couple of the licenses in a ditch!!! :eek:
:mad: people:mad:

Ally Cat's Mommy
10-07-2003, 01:40 AM
Aw that really sucks! I hate getting fines....... and I seem to be "collecting" them at an incredible rate at the moment. People here have a really bad habit, that if the parking lot Is full, they pull their 4X4 vehicles up onto the embankments and park there. So now I have just got a 4x4 (took over hubby's old one as he got a new company car) i HAVE STARTED DOINF THAT TOO!- just my luck they have now started clamping down on illegal parking, and I got two fines in one week. (In my defense I should add that it WAS AN EMERGENCY - I WAS AT A 50% OFF SHOE SALE BOTH DAYS):rolleyes:

Here they use camera traps, so you get a nasty shock in the mail, but in South Africa they still use the Radar and pull you over, so I just used to start crying, and usually I got let off with a warning!:o

Edwina's Secretary
10-07-2003, 08:05 AM
The only place your social security card should be is LOCKED UP....either in a safe, your lock box at the bank or other secure place. There is ABSOLUTELY no reason to card it. Nor should youhave your social security number on your driver's license.

Identity theft is big business now. To open credit cards, etc in your name all the thief needs is your Social Security number.

Guard that number! Those people should check thier credit frequently over the next year or so!

ramanth
10-07-2003, 09:18 AM
Oh Donna... I'm sorry you got another ticket. :(

I once got a ticket for doing 70 in a 55. My speedometor wasn't working correctly after I had a little accident with a cornfield... :o

I had to follow my dad around the block with walkie talkies to gauge what my speed really was vs what my speedometor said.

Sure I could of had it fixed... but I was a poor college student. :D

I got pulled over once and I knew I wasn't speeding. I was doing the speedlimit deadon.

The female officer walks up and asks, "Do you know why I pulled you over?"

I was irritated because I knew I hadn't been speeding. I replied, "No. Not a clue."

My license tabs were expired! :eek: They expire in January. I got pulled over in November! No ticket. Headed straight to the DMV and got them renewed. Had a pay a late charge. No biggie. :)

RICHARD
10-07-2003, 11:40 AM
Geez,

we have two speeds in CA..

Traffic and the Concorde.

catland
10-07-2003, 12:07 PM
ILMAG - My brother is a cop here in Oregon.;)

Moos - sorry but I had to laugh at your plight, 49 in a 35 is kind of a tough one to talk your way out of.

My one speeding ticket was several years ago, up in Washington - they see those out of state plates and know its easy money. Wierdest part is, we predicted it on an ouiji board. No kidding. We were playing around with an ouiji board and it said that I would run into some bad luck in the near future. We asked if it was related to a trip I was going on to see relatives in Washington and it said "yes". The only other clues we got were that it would be just a minor bad luck and the letter C was involved. Guess what the first letter of the name of the street was where I was pulled over?:eek: :eek: :rolleyes:

momoffuzzyfaces
10-07-2003, 12:27 PM
Gosh, I feel for you. I've only had one speeding ticket in my entire life. We have one street that has been 35 miles per hour since Noah got off the ark. I was going 35 mph down it one day when a policeman pulled me over. Seems they changed the speed the week before to 25 and I didn't notice the new signs. I paid the fine but the week after I paid it I was going down the same street and noticed they changed the limit again... to 30mph this time. Some days, I just can't win!:rolleyes:

Chinadoll
10-07-2003, 02:26 PM
Awww! That bites! Joey got back from CA last Saturday. The following Tuesday he drove to take me and my Grandmother to the airport to pick up my aunt.

He got pulled over doing 53 in a 35. He was so ticked. Neither of us realized he was going that fast. He was very polite to the cop. Handed him his miltary ID along with his license and tried to explain that he's just not used to being back in the States yet. Cop didn't care and gave him the ticket. I didn't expect him to get special treatment, but geez... he just got back from being overseas for months, give the guy a break!

If we would've been in our parish, he wouldn't have gotten a ticket. Thank goodness he has friends who are cops in my grandmother's parish so he's getting the ticket pulled.

bluekat
10-07-2003, 04:27 PM
Aww, that sucks. Well, since I'm 13 right now(14 in March;)) I have never driven a car, lol.
My parents almost never got any speeding tickets. Once when we were in British Columbia, my dad had parked in a "no parking" area. We were only about 10 minutes, and we came out and saw a ticket. My dad just left it, because since we're from Ontario, he said they can't do anything about it or something. So we came back here, and the ticket was mailed to us again telling us to pay right now! lol
That's the only ticket I remember my parents getting.:p

moosmom
10-07-2003, 07:32 PM
On the way home tonight I drove 35 mph. I cannot believe how slow that is!! I can run faster! People were whizzing by me, giving me dirty looks (I was in the right lane figuring if those buttwipes wanted to pass me, let 'em!!) But it's my very first speeding ticket in 34 years so I guess I'll own up to it and learn my lesson. *sigh*

captain
10-07-2003, 07:51 PM
I must admit I am a speed queen ............ LOVE driving fast (safely, of course - yes, I know contradiction in terms). If I am truly speeding, then YES, fine me, no problem.
But last year I was doing 83 in a 80 zone (with the cruise control on 80!!!!!) but apparently was doing 3km's over, and I got a ticket!!!!!
The fine said "going under 15km's over the speed limit". RIGHT, next time I will go 94km's and get the same damn fine!

However, this morning on the radio, a guy phoned up and said he got a fine doing 55 km's in an unmarked zone. And the radio guy said .."Yes, unmarked zones are 50km's only"

WHAT!!!! EXCUSE ME!!!!!!! HOW THE H*** are we supposed to know that!!!!! I thought that 50km zones were SCHOOL zones ....

Typical Victorian Government ............. don't put up a sign, because everyone SUPPOSEDLY knows!! :mad:

and YES, I WILL have some cheese with my WHINE! :D

Karen
10-07-2003, 07:57 PM
I have some really good Extra Sharp Cheddar in the fridge ... want some of that?

I, alone of all my siblings, have never gotten a ticket - yet. We are all rather lead-footed, but I've only gotten warnings. Paul attributes it to me being a girl, my sister disagrees and says "Those big blue eyes may fool others ... but not me!"

Donna, blame the fact that you're a transplant from New England, where, for example, going the speed limit on the Mass Pike means you'll be regarded as a moving roadblock!

Moo is concerned, though - won't his ride be kinda bumpy if you're on rollerskates? Perhaps a bike with a padded cat-basket might be better! ;)

Albea
10-08-2003, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Karen
Donna, blame the fact that you're a transplant from New England, where, for example, going the speed limit on the Mass Pike means you'll be regarded as a moving roadblock!

Karen, I was also going to tell Donna that she drove in Connecticut for too long.;) If you go 75 miles (were the limit is 65) drivers will push you off the road.:rolleyes: