PDA

View Full Version : porcupined

stacwase
10-06-2003, 05:30 PM
We just got back from the vet. While I was taking Jake and Max for a long run, Max attacked a porcupine. He attacked him several times, actually. The vet pulled out 105 quills, plus the 9 or 10 my husband and I were able to pull out.

Found out why he's been cranky, though - he had an ear infection.

The bill was $357.00. Ouch.

Max is so drugged right now - it's sad. He's confused and can hardly stand, but he won't lay down. So he's wobbling everywhere. I put him in his kennel because he was just wandering around aimlessly.

Poor guy.

CJ7Boomer
10-06-2003, 05:55 PM
Poor doggy! and poor you too- that mustve been quite an ordeal! hope hes feeling better soon!

Kater
10-06-2003, 05:58 PM
Owwwwwww! Poor Max! I hope his ears and pokies all heal well. (((((Max)))))

wolfsoul
10-06-2003, 06:15 PM
Ouchies! :( Poor Max!

Sorry for the unhappily eventful day! Atleast you found out that Max had an ear infection. :)

Good luck!

stacwase
10-06-2003, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the kind words - Max will say "thanks" too, when he wakes up.

I always take him for off-leash runs in the woods to get rid of excess energy. I thought I was being responsible - I take him far from roads and people so he won't get hit by a car or scare anybody. We don't have poisonous snakes up here, and I highly doubt he'd run into a bear or anything. I thought porcupines and skunks were nocturnal - it didn't even occur to me that he might be hurt.

The quills were all over. Some were stuck inside his lips, and they were poking up and rubbing his tongue. He also had one in his tongue - so his tongue was bleeding and he was very uncomfortable.

So - now I don't know what to do! I don't want to stop taking him for his long runs. He loves to run so much. But - I don't want to risk something like this happening again. Maybe earlier in the day would be better. It was about 4:00 pm - maybe the porcupine was waking up a little early today. Or maybe they're not nocturnal - I guess I'll have to look it up!

Shelteez2
10-06-2003, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by stacwase
So - now I don't know what to do! I don't want to stop taking him for his long runs. He loves to run so much. But - I don't want to risk something like this happening again. Maybe earlier in the day would be better. It was about 4:00 pm - maybe the porcupine was waking up a little early today. Or maybe they're not nocturnal - I guess I'll have to look it up!

Well hopefully he'll have learned a lesson (albeit a very painful one) and it might not be an issue anymore.
I've known a few dogs that have been quilled and they steer clear of those strange beasts.
Unfortunately I've also heard of a few dogs that either don't get it, or the urge to get the porcupine is just too strong, and they get stuck with quills repeatedly. Hopefully in your case Max will remember his lesson.

Samantha Puppy
10-06-2003, 07:21 PM
Awwww, poor Max!! I hope he feels better soon... poor Max!!!

Uabassoon
10-06-2003, 07:28 PM
Ouch! Poor Max, I hope you feel better from and I hope your ear infection clear up soon.

Glacier
10-06-2003, 08:26 PM
Speaking from personal experience, porcupines are not noctural. They are out and about at all times of the day. They don't move much at the best of times, they aren't fast. My vet's theory is that dogs can't stand being ignored. The first thing a porcupine does is turn it's back on a dog, like it's ignore it, so the dog much investigate. The area I live in is infested with them! We have made more trips to the vet for quill remove than I care to admit. A couple of them happened right in my yard!

Generally, if a dog gets into a porky more than once they will never stop. Kayleigh, I swear, actually seeks them out. She's awful and once her prey drive takes over, forget about her listening to anything! Some of my dogs got hit once and now avoid porkys.

I carry a pair of pliars with me on all my hikes, just in case. Sometimes they only get a few quills and I can pull them myself. Really bad quill incidents I go to the vet though.

I hope Max is feeling better soon.

stacwase
10-07-2003, 06:57 AM
I have a feeling Max is one of those dogs who will just keep going back for more. After all, he did continue to attack the porcupine even after he got quills in his face.

I guess I won't go back to that particular trail again - I imagine that porcupine lives there and we'd run into it again.

Thanks for the info, Glacier - it's helpful to know they're not nocturnal. Darn it, though. Does your dog let you pull them out? Any tips on how to do it? I have a feeling we'll be doing this again some time.

I'm going to get pet insurance, I think. Max is just too adventurous!

Anyways - he made it through the night OK. He was trying so hard to fight the anesthesia. He wouldn't lay his head down. So I covered him up with a blanket and gave him my pillow (to keep his head propped up on) and he slept that way all night.

I think I'm going to have to soak his food. I can't imagine trying to chew after having quills in my inner lips and tongue!

ramanth
10-07-2003, 11:34 AM
Oh poor Max!!!

I'm not sure if we have porcupines in this area of MI. I think Kia would pull a Max too and want to investigate! :eek:

I've been seeing a lot of skunks (and smelling them *peeww!*) lately.

Give him a gentle hug for me. :)

ChrisH
10-07-2003, 12:29 PM
Poor Max. Hope he is feeling better soon.

Kater
10-09-2003, 12:34 AM
How is Max doing?

anna_66
10-09-2003, 06:55 AM
Oh Max, you want to stay away from those prickly things;)

I hope he's feeling better today:D

stacwase
10-09-2003, 07:09 AM
You'd never know he was porcupined - he's back to his old self. The vet did say that there were several broken quills in his chin which she couldn't get out and which were going to have to come out on their own. I haven't tried to feel them because I'm sure it's sore - he has a 10-day recheck coming up and she can check them then.

He's so funny. When he was coming out from the anesthesia, I covered him up with a blanket and put a feather pillow under his head. He never would have tolerated the blanket before, but now he realizes that he likes it. So he gets covered up every night now, and he's adopted my pillow. Whenever he gets really comfy, he lets out this really loud contented sigh. It cracks us up!

CamCamPup33
10-09-2003, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by stacwase
So he gets covered up every night now, and he's adopted my pillow. Whenever he gets really comfy, he lets out this really loud contented sigh. It cracks us up!

AWW max! im a little late.. i have been late to lots of things.. LOL im glad to hear max is doing better.. That is too cute about the covers! lol cami loves it! LOL too cute! you should get a picture of that ;) :p