PDA

View Full Version : What age...

TollSettFK
08-21-2001, 02:12 PM
I just got a puppy, and I have been told you can nueter them at 8 weeks, but have been told that the traditional six monthes is better. But Im scared that agression will build up by then, and then again, I have also been told it's not healthy to wait to nueter until he is six monthes. There seems to be a bunch of goods and bads. What do you guys think is healthier?

Daisy's Mom
08-21-2001, 05:13 PM
We already have a very informative thread about the best age to fix a dog! Here's the link:
http://petoftheday.com/cgibin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=6&t=000132

[ August 22, 2001: Message edited by: Daisy's Mom ]

3-greys-and-a-mutt
08-21-2001, 06:10 PM
My Buddy wasn't nuetered until he was almost 2, and he doesn't have an aggressive bone in his body - has never tried any male/female things with any of the 3 girl dogs in the house, either!

kobieeli
08-21-2001, 08:55 PM
My understanding is that although lots of shelters are doing neuterings as young as 8 weeks, this is a rather recent development and research can't be complete for another several years. It may not affect dogs much at all, or it may eventually be shown to cause things we'd hate to see.

We neutered Eli at 7 months--he has none of the bad habits like humping and marking, but has still grown to full maturity and is quite "male".