PDA

View Full Version : 9 hrs. alone too long?

Smilla
10-06-2003, 08:25 AM
Well, after years of my posting here on DOTD, even though I HAD NO DOG :), my husband and I are ready to take the plunge and get our own. I am concerned about the dog being left alone for 9 hours a day, however, and wanted to get the opinion of you folks on here. Here is the dog I'm interested in, if it would help to know a little about his temperament:

http://www.sarl-nh.org/dogs/dogAtticus.htm

I leave at 7:30 a.m. and return at 4:30. We can't afford doggie day care at this time, and I'm not sure whether we could get a daily walker (haven't priced them out), so I'm going on the assumption that he will be alone for that long. I want to be fair to him, so any advice/etc. is welcome.

Thanks!

S

sabies
10-06-2003, 09:44 AM
My Sadie is left alone most of the day (9 hours) and has been for most of her life. I have to work and I've explained it to her many times. Even left alone is better than the life she had caged at a shelter.

The dog you are looking at is older so will be less active and won't mind a nice long nap while you are at work. There will likely be an adjustment period while the dog gets use to your schedule which could mean accidents and chewing but you can leave out paper and hide stuff you don't want chewed. Buy a nice doggie bed and all types of toys til you know his favorite and I think you'll have one very happy dog.

KYS
10-06-2003, 10:09 AM
I agree with sabies,
Even left alone for 9 hours is better than the life she had caged at a shelter. (As long as she is not crated for that time)
If she will have the run of the house or a nice back
yard, I think she will be just fine after she gets use
to her new home.
I think my dogs sleep while I am at work,
whether in the house or outside.
(At least I think they do, since nothing in my house
is touched.) Outside I think they sleep and Rocky
watches the squirrels.

P.S. It is possible she might get a little lonely, but
I still think it will be a much better life for her.

Samantha Puppy
10-06-2003, 10:11 AM
I agree with sabies and KYS. Anything is better than a shelter so long as the Atticus isn't crated. And bless your heart for taking in an older boy. :) I want to do the same thing next summer.

Smilla
10-06-2003, 11:23 AM
Thanks so much to you all for your responses; they've made me feel better about getting a dog while working. However, it doesn't look like it's going to work out with Atticus. I just got an email telling me that he's got an appointment with a retired gentleman on Thursday evening, and the Dog Coordinator thinks 9 hours alone would be a bit much for him. I'm disappointed--he sounded like such a sweet dog--but I'm glad his future is looking bright and I do think a retiree would be good company for him.

Thanks again!

S

Logan
10-06-2003, 12:30 PM
Smilla, the right one will come along for you, now that you have your home "open" to bringing in a dog. I think leaving mine for 9 hours is much more painful for me than it is for them!!! :o The right dog will fit into that sort of situation just fine. And in the meantime, check out dog walkers and petsitters to find out what kind of expense you are facing if you choose to go that route, so you'll be ready when that "heartdog" tugs on your heart strings!!! :)

So nice, as always, to see a post from you!!! :D

dukedogsmom
10-06-2003, 01:09 PM
I don't forsee any problems. Like everyone's said, he's older and housebroken. Older dogs can hold it longer. And I commend you for saving an older dog! Most people want puppies so the old guys don't stand a chance. I hope you're all very happy.
Sorry, just now saw your entry above. I hope you find a dog soon. They are great!

Smilla
10-07-2003, 10:09 AM
Hi again (and hey there, Logan!)!

Still looking! Did a search on petfinder.com and pulled up lots and lots of dogs! Doing searches for medium-sized male and female adults and seniors. I'm avoiding ones that specifically state that they need lots of attention--while that may sound mean, I'm assuming that these are the dogs that would have the hardest time being alone for 9 hours/day. They'll get plenty of attention once I get home, though! :) There seem to be plenty of "mellow" dogs that need homes anyway, so I feel like I'm in pretty good shape.

Thanks so much for your advice and encouragement!

S

Smilla
10-07-2003, 10:17 AM
Oh, I did find this site which might be useful--lists pet sitters and walkers by state. I wanted to share it in case anyone else could use it:

http://www.pet-sitters.biz/