PDA

View Full Version : fatty tumors in dogs

groundhog41
01-03-2002, 02:47 PM
Talk to me about fatty tumors in dogs. I need to know all I can, as my Dal has had a number of sebaceous cysts, and now has been diagnosed with a rather large fatty tumor near her rib cage.

aly
01-03-2002, 03:05 PM
My lab had a lot of fatty tumors which the vet told us were harmless. We opted not to get them removed because of her age and because they weren't doing any harm. She did get something that had to be removed though. It was between her toes. I forgot what it was called. It was benign though, phheww. She ended up dying of natural causes :( :( :(

groundhog41
01-03-2002, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by aly:
<STRONG>My lab had a lot of fatty tumors which the vet told us were harmless. We opted not to get them removed because of her age and because they weren't doing any harm. She did get something that had to be removed though. It was between her toes. I forgot what it was called. It was benign though, phheww. She ended up dying of natural causes :( :( :(</STRONG>

groundhog41
01-03-2002, 03:19 PM
Thanks. The vet drew a sample and said the same. Sophie is 7, and quite active and loveable beyond words. We do obedience (teach and compete) and are working on agility. I appreciate your reply.

karen israel
01-03-2002, 03:44 PM
Hi! My Cody (GR/Yellow Lab mix) has quite a few of them. At first I freaked out, but I do have the vet check them now and then. He also has one at his rib cage, another under his arm pit, and I found one near in inner elbow recently. Tests show all OK! But apparently they're very common and are not removed unless absolutely necessary, like annoying to the dog. They really feel scary though! :eek:

groundhog41
01-03-2002, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by K9karenI:
<STRONG>Hi! My Cody (GR/Yellow Lab mix) has quite a few of them. At first I freaked out, but I do have the vet check them now and then. He also has one at his rib cage, another under his arm pit, and I found one near in inner elbow recently. Tests show all OK! But apparently they're very common and are not removed unless absolutely necessary, like annoying to the dog. They really feel scary though! :eek:</STRONG>

groundhog41
01-03-2002, 03:52 PM
Thanks. Scary isn't the word! Lost a Lab years ago to cancer which looked very similar.

jackiesdaisy1935
01-03-2002, 04:33 PM
We have Schnauzers and our older Schnauzer had two or three fatty tumors and our Vet advised us not to take them off. They never bothered her and she passed away at 15.
On the other hand our Son's Rottweiler died at 7 from cancer, which they had no idea that he had, until he was very ill.
What do you think of doing a biopsy?
Jackie

[ January 03, 2002: Message edited by: Jackie ]

groundhog41
01-03-2002, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Jackie:
<STRONG>We have Schnauzers and our older Schnauzer had two or three fatty tumors and our Vet advised us not to take them off. They never bothered her and she passed away at 15.
On the other hand our Son's Rottweiler died at 7 from cancer, which they had no idea that he had, until he was very ill.
What do you think of doing a biopsy?
Jackie

[ January 03, 2002: Message edited by: Jackie ]</STRONG>

null

groundhog41
01-03-2002, 05:45 PM
Sophie is such a "soft" dog and she's had four cysts removed, I just hate to cut her up again. The vet aspirsted the tumor and concluded it was just a "fatty" one. Might get a second opinion, though. Thanks.

Question: How did you get your pictures into this reply? Would be interested in doing same.

Sudilar
01-03-2002, 09:16 PM
Of course Killian has had fatty tumors, some removed and some left alone. He also has something like warts (but they're not called that). The last tumor was a very large one on his side. It didn't appear large until they got in to remove it and found it to be deep. It was benign just like all the rest, thank goodness. This also is caused by his immune system problems. :(

[ January 03, 2002: Message edited by: Sudilar ]

jackiesdaisy1935
01-03-2002, 09:26 PM
grounghog41 I'm not very good at explaining pictures, but I'll try.
we go into our profile
then most of us have a webshots album
you start with [img put your picture in and end with /img]
I don't know if that makes sense to you or not, if not, I'm sure someone more knowledgeable can help you.
Jackie

raian
01-17-2002, 07:39 PM
My dog has many fatty tumors, most of them appeared quite rapidly and then just stayed put. Keep you eye on them, and any that seem to grow, get them removed. My dog had one under his armpit that continued to grow, and I didn't want to have surgery done as he is 12 years old, but finally it was really interfering with his movement, not to mention just ugly looking, so I had the surgery done. Alas, it had turned from a benign fat tumor to a Grade One sarcoma. Fortunately the vet said grade one tumors are so slow growing, and rarely metatisis, so he feels removing it was the best option. My dog tolerated the surgery well and is moving much, MUCH better, back to enjoying his daily walks.

PLEASE, if there are any changes in any lumps or bumps, get them checked or removed. Better to do it when the lumps are small and not cancerous.

Daisymay_09
01-21-2002, 08:38 PM
My 8 year old dog hugo just had a tumor in his bladder. We had the choice of putting him down or removing it. We removed and he is doing fine and as healthy as he was before:D

AdoreMyDogs
01-22-2002, 05:56 AM
My yellow lab was absolutely loaded with fatty tumors from the time he was about 9 years old. We only removed them when they got too big and interfered with his walking. All were benign except for one small one (looked different, it was very dark and it had no hair on it) but they were sucessful in removing the entire growth and a good deal of skin around it and he seemed to be fine afterwords. He lived to be 13 and ended up having some huge masses in his abdomin and chest cavity that we chose not to operate on.

The vet asperated his many fatty tumors on a regular basis and they were only filled with fat, except for the ugly looking one which we had removed as soon as we saw it. All I would worry about are tumors which looks different then the fatty tumors.