PDA

View Full Version : Low Blood Platelets

KYS
08-21-2001, 01:29 AM
Please keep Sheba in your thoughts,
Sheba looks/acts healthy but she
has been ill for over a year,
but we thought with the low dose of thyroid medicine it kept her Blood platelets in check. She has had 2 full blood panels in the last 3 months and her test showed that
her thyroid was way to high, so we had
to cut her thyroid pills in half.
The latest test, showed that her thyroid was normal again, but by cutting down the dose of her meds, her platelets are now dangerously low again.
She gets her platelets re-tested next week to make sure the lab did not make a mistake.
So please keep your fingers crossed that her platelets go up.

Gio
08-21-2001, 04:30 AM
I will certainly keep Sheba in my thoughts. Give her a big hug from me.

delidog
08-21-2001, 05:21 AM
of course we will keep sheba in our prayers...our best wishes for her good health....is she in you photo sinature???which one is she????? the deli dog

Sudilar
08-21-2001, 09:21 AM
We will be praying for your dear Sheba. It's so hard when one medical condition interferes with the cure of another. Let us know how it goes. Good luck.

Sue, Killian and Shiloh

jackiesdaisy1935
08-21-2001, 09:46 AM
Sorry to hear Sheba has not been well, we will keep her in our thoughts and prayers and hope the tests come out better next week. Please give her some hugs from Daisy, Perry and me.
Jackie

Albea
08-21-2001, 12:03 PM
Poor baby Sheba :( I just sent her a happy birthday note. Hope the next blood test will show her platelets have gone up. I'll be thinking about her.

lizbud
08-21-2001, 12:38 PM
KYS..
Most certainly will pray and send good positive vibes your way for Sheba..Just
wondering, has the thyroid condition been
a long time problem?
So sorry to hear about this.. i will keep
Sheba in my prayers.

Daisy's Mom
08-21-2001, 05:19 PM
Sheba will be in me and Daisy's prayers. I hope everything turns out okay!

KYS
08-21-2001, 11:07 PM
Deli dog,
Sheba is the first dog in my signature. : )

lizbud,
Sheba thyroid was found to be borderline hypo thyroid, when we had a blood panel
done on her about 1 1/2 yrs. ago.
The problem was actually her low platelets.
(were not sure if the platelets are tied in
to the thyroid at this point) The Thyroid pills did bring up her platelets, but also
made her thyroid to high.

From what I understand her low platelet counts can be due to so many things such as,Drugs, certain diseases, auto immune problems and many more.

Thank you all for you thoughts and good wishes. Hopefully I will have more information by the end of next week.

tatsxxx11
08-24-2001, 08:46 AM
I am so sorry KYS to have neglected seeing this post sooner. Sheba is such a precious, pretty pup. I was so sad to hear of her difficulties. I hope next week find her blood values improved. Trying to regulate meds and stabalize their effects can be so tricky. :( You and the beautiful Sheba are on my prayer list for sure. Please give her a big get well hug and kiss. Love, Sandra, Cody and Star

[ August 24, 2001: Message edited by: tatsxxx11 ]

RachelJ
08-24-2001, 11:47 AM
I don't seem to get to all the topics anymore either and when I miss an important one such as this, it certainly is not because I don't care. You and your furkids are all so special to us. I hope this is something that can eventually be managed. Let us know as soon as you do. Kisses for Sheba.

AdoreMyDogs
08-24-2001, 12:03 PM
I will be praying for you and that beautiful Sheba. I am so sorry this is happening, it must be so frustrating. Just keep positive, and keep your chin up. Give Sheba a hug for me.
-Leslie

KYS
08-29-2001, 07:47 PM
Thank you Tats, Rachel and Adore. :)
I just got off the phone with her vet.
Sheba was retested on Saturday.
Sheba's platelets went up a little
to 95,000 vs the 74,000 with some evidence
of clumping. Clumping is good, meaning
they might even be slightly higher.
As long as her platelets do not stay in
the 70-80 range with-out clumping,
I have a feeling we will not have to
treat her with steriods.
I have to re-test her blood again
in another month. Poor baby is starting
to feel like a pin cushion.
Everybody loves Sheba at the vets,
and they give her extra attention.(which
is good since she is so scared)
So keep your toes and fingers crossed. :)

Daisy's Mom
08-29-2001, 11:03 PM
Daisy and I are still praying for beautiful Sheba! I hope everythings turns out okay at her next visit. Poor baby, with all those needles! She takes them so well, too! I pass out every time the nurse pulls out a needle for me. I guess that's good, because I never feel it! LOL

Sudilar
08-29-2001, 11:34 PM
That's some good news. I hope Sheba continues to get better.

RachelJ
08-30-2001, 09:00 AM
Oh, this is good news. I hate having to use steroids, always feel it is taking a risk on some other level.

Pretty Sheba, you are going to be okay, I just know it. Hugs and kisses for you today.

Gio
08-30-2001, 09:51 AM
Way to go Sheba! Special hugs from me.

tatsxxx11
08-30-2001, 06:48 PM
Dear, sweet Sheba. We were so glad to hear the good news. What a brave, brave girl you are. I am not surprised that all the white coats just adore you. :) Lots of hugs and kisses to you precious girl.
Love, Sandra, Star and Cody

KYS
08-31-2001, 08:44 AM
Thank you everyone for your good wishes.
Yesturday she was limping. Her back
left leg. It has been her right front leg
and her right back leg in the past.
It's possible that these enjuries are tied in with her problem. Sheba is a strong good girl. As long as she doesn't
get worse I will be a happy camper.
Rachel, I heard steriods can have some bad
side effects.
Thanks again you guys are wonderful.

Daisy's Mom
08-31-2001, 06:42 PM
Sheba, I hope your legs feel better :( Your poor beautiful girl! I'm still praying for you, so you are bound to get well soon!

lizbud
08-31-2001, 08:49 PM
Sorry to hear about the limping problem...
I pray for Sheba to return to good health
Soon!! We love them,we want so much that our
Furkids be healthy & enjoy their time on earth with us...
Sheba is in our thoughts and prayers!!,
and so is Her Mommy!!!

tatsxxx11
09-04-2001, 05:55 PM
Dear Sheba, my mom said I could write you before bed and tell you I was thinkin bout you. Every time I see your beautiful picture, I melt. I hope you're feelin lots better. Love you Sheba. Love, your pal Star

KYS
09-04-2001, 06:05 PM
HI this is Sheba:
Thank you so much Star, Daisy, and lizbud.
It's the pits getting old. One day my right leg is lame and the next day my left leg is lame. I did not get to go on any walks this weekend. NOT FAIR!
I'm very sad today,
I just found out that my friend
Storm who lives in Texas, was put to sleep yesturday.
He had been suffering from Lupus and seizures.
It doesn't seem fair that us dogs get
so ill and live such short lives.

Star I hope you are feeling all better too, and that your medicine doesn't taste
to bad.
We are all thinking of you.

TheAntiPam
09-04-2001, 06:25 PM
One of the best part about looking at pictures here at PetTalk is that these are pets that are loved. We can know that they are cared for during their good days and their bad.

KYS, are there other pictures of your special pups? They are such cuties in your signature. I hope your lovely Sheba will perk up with the help of such devoted humans.

[ September 04, 2001: Message edited by: TheAntiPam ]

KYS
09-05-2001, 08:14 AM
Thank you, TheAntiPam:

I do take lots of pictures,
but I am the worst picture taker on
Earth. lol
Sheba is feeling better, and I took
her for her first walk last night.
She did real well but got a bit tired
at towards the end.

tatsxxx11
09-05-2001, 05:22 PM
Dear Sheba. How can you ever forgive me and my mom? We didn't see that it was your birthday last month, and we feel heartsick. I wanted to send you a special birthday card, just from me. But we can't find your email :( Please, please Sheba, the gorgeous Sheba girl, forgive us. Especially since you were so nice to mention my birthday. Tonight I'm going to put a candle on a BIG piece of birthday cake just for you, and we're all going to sing Happy Birthday Sheba and make a BIG wish that you get better and better every day! :) Lots of love to our special Birthday Girl, Sheba. And Sheba, like all of us pups, you're still a puppy at heart.
Love, Star, Cody and our mom

jackiesdaisy1935
09-05-2001, 06:05 PM
Dear Sheba, I hope you are feeling better, I know how hard it is not to be able to take walks because your legs get tired, to tell you the truth mine do too. I have had one knee replaced and the other one is not good, so I can relate to you in that way. You just take it one day at a time and walk when you feel like it and then rest. Everyone loves you so much and want what is best for you.
Daisy and Perry sends hugs and kisses and I do too.
Jackie :)

KYS
09-05-2001, 06:06 PM
Star please don't feel bad and
just share some of your birthday cake
with me, I will be so very HAPPY!
Jackie, Getting older is kind of nice,
my human mom lets me get away with stuff she doesn't let Rocky. hehehe
Sorry about your knee Jackie.
That's the only part I do not like
about getting older is sometimes
I hurt to much.
I hope your other knee will get better
so you do not have to have another surgery.
I will be thinking of you.
Star, Daisy and Perry, I think you all have very special human moms. :)

[ September 05, 2001: Message edited by: KYS ]

tatsxxx11
09-15-2001, 10:54 AM
Sheba, Star here. What wif all the sad news ona talking box, and mommy so sad, seems we haven't been writin much to our bestest doggie pals and askin how they're doin. We just wanted you to know how we love you and that we think of you EVERY day. Me and the Cody girl send you lots a labbie love and husky tail wags and licks. Cody especially idolizes you cuz she thinks you guys kinda look alike :) Love to our friend Sheba from your pals and buds, Star and Cody

KYS
09-16-2001, 08:09 PM
Thank you Star. :)
My mommy has not been on Pet Talk much
either. She is also very sad.
She tries to read
the Dog Health in case
one of our fur friends are sick. :(
We are all fine, but we know something
is not right with everyone so sad.
Rocky says woo woo to Cody for
looking like us. Don't tell
Rocky but my very best friend in
the whole world was a lab named Ruby.
She had some bad thing called cancer. :(
I will tell my mommy that you posted
I know it will make her smile.
Rocky, Pepper and I send our
Woo Woo Love and please tell your Mommy we love her too.

Slurpy hugs
Sheba