PDA

View Full Version : Taking your postings seriously?

sasvermont
10-05-2003, 06:43 AM
Over the last few months there have been many, too many, as far as I am concerned, posts that are alarming in title and down right silly in context.

"Crying wolf" is attention getting and a real waste of everyone's reading time. No one wants to be fooled into reading a post.

I may be the only one who thinks this way. Maybe not.

Please be considerate of the others, and post things of substance. I know that the term "substance" is subjective.

Thanks,
SAS

Pam
10-05-2003, 08:04 AM
SAS I have noticed that too. One post recently, by the subject line, led me to believe that someone had died and that wasn't the case at all, thankfully!

Tonya
10-05-2003, 08:11 AM
I agree. It takes away from the posts that really are serious.

KYS
10-05-2003, 09:45 AM
Not to be a party pooper but Ditto for me.
I know the poster means no harm,
but on more than one occassion,
I had my heart in my throat untill I read the post. :(

G.P.girl
10-05-2003, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Tonya
I agree. It takes away from the posts that really are serious.

i agree

bluekat
10-05-2003, 09:58 AM
I agree with everything said above.
I remember one when I thought someone had lost someone too, but found out it was nothing like that.

Randi
10-05-2003, 10:14 AM
If everyone could make an effort to get the essence of the subject into the title, it would help a lot!! :)

Cataholic
10-05-2003, 02:32 PM
Ditto!

gini
10-05-2003, 03:15 PM
Johanna, I will double ditto that!

Sadly, we have enough real sorrow on our board lately. We don't need or want any fake/attention getters!

Twisterdog
10-05-2003, 11:54 PM
I agree. Life is dramatic enough without having to deal with the "drama queens." ;)

Also, maybe it's just me, but get tired of posts titled, "A question" or "I need help" or "What should I do?" These type of titles give no hint whatsoever as to whether the post actually contains something I am interested in reading or not. Titling these type of posts something like, "A question about cocker spaniels" or "I need help with algebra homework" or "What should I do about my nosy neighbors?" would be very helpful!

carole
10-06-2003, 07:40 PM
Well hopefully I am not one of those people who have headed my threads unwisely, I honestly try real hard to think what to name it, sometimes you just cannot put it all into a few words, but I do my best.

Kfamr
10-06-2003, 07:59 PM
I'm not sure if i'm one of those you all are speaking of...
But, as something may not be serious to you, it may to others.

mugsy
10-06-2003, 08:17 PM
I guess I feel that "important" is a relative term. If it looks silly or you open it and think that it's silly, don't post and don't read it. I agree KayAnn, what is important to one is not important to another. As for upsetting leads, I don't get upset until I open the thread to see what it's all about. If I think I will be upset by the contents, I just don't open it. Also, there are some people who start threads that I refuse to open to even view it. Just my opinion, take it with the proverbial grain of salt. :)

slick
10-06-2003, 08:38 PM
I'm with Mugsy. What frustrates me is if the subject reads....

OMG I'm dying......

Then you open it up and someone's got hangnail.

Well, I know I'm being sarcastic here but let's all think twice and be specific in the wording of the subject line.