PDA

View Full Version : Clara and Roxy got into a fight.

Tonya
10-04-2003, 10:05 PM
I was petting Clara (yes, I named my stray), and Roxy came up and started snarling. I started petting both to try to appease them. Then Clara got jealous and they got into a full blown fight. Luckily, Clara is so small (she was the physical agressor) that I just pinned her head between my knees and Roxy backed off. Now, they are both in crates and they are trying to cage fight. :(

mugsy
10-04-2003, 10:08 PM
PM me if you would like Mike to call you. He has worked with our aggressive dogs and they are ok now. I know he would be happy to help. I know there is nothing worse than a dog fight. :(

Tonya
10-04-2003, 10:11 PM
Well, hopefully I find Clara's family. I need another dog like I need a hole in the head. lol. I am totally falling in love with her, so maybe that fight was a good thing. It brought me back to my wits.

Clara is kind of young to be showing that much aggression, don't you think? (Vet guesses 8 months old.)

Glacier
10-04-2003, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Tonya

Clara is kind of young to be showing that much aggression, don't you think? (Vet guesses 8 months old.)

I wouldn't call it aggression. There's a difference between a dog fight and an aggressive dog. Huskies do have a tendancy to be aggressive with same sex dogs. I have five females in my current pack. None of them are ever left alone together. The only time two females come into contact is when they are running in harness beside each other. The worst fights I've ever seen have been between two females. Nasty stuff, HUGE vet bills, almost lost a dog twice!

pitc9
10-05-2003, 07:39 AM
My sister has a female husky, and gets along with males great.... but not another female! I hope everything works out!!

They both are soooo beautiful!!!!!!!!

Shelteez2
10-05-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Tonya
I was petting Clara (yes, I named my stray), and Roxy came up and started snarling. I started petting both to try to appease them. Then Clara got jealous and they got into a full blown fight. Luckily, Clara is so small (she was the physical agressor) that I just pinned her head between my knees and Roxy backed off. Now, they are both in crates and they are trying to cage fight. :(

I would say that Roxy was the aggressor.
I know you didn't know, but for situations like this in the future this is what you should have done.

When Roxy came up snarling because you were petting the other dog you should have told her a sharp no and made her go lie down away from you. By petting her you gave her the idea that she was right to be angry with the situation.

I know you don't plan on having 2 dogs for long, but one thing that will help until you find Clara's parents is to establish that when you are petting one dog it is their time and the other has to stay out of it until you are through.

Good luck, I hope this doesn't happen again.