PDA

View Full Version : Trying to Heal

aly
10-04-2003, 08:58 PM
I didn't think I'd make it through the loss of Peka. I'm nowhere close to feeling better, but at least I'm starting to believe that I will someday.

I spent 12 hours volunteering at the shelter today to keep my mind busy. We had 10 bottle baby puppies (from 2 litters) dropped off. I think I have the word 'sucker' tattooed on my forehead, because I took 2 of them (even though I SWORE I needed sleep and a break from fostering). They were thrown in a dumpster with 5 littermates. One of them didn't make it :( I have named my girl after Peka. I named the boy Sterling because of his coloring. They are just a couple days old.

http://rescuedpaws.com///pekasterling3.jpg

http://rescuedpaws.com///pekasterling2.jpg

http://rescuedpaws.com///sterling3.jpg

http://rescuedpaws.com///peka.jpg

You can see her umbilical cord.

binka_nugget
10-04-2003, 09:00 PM
They're beautiful.

*HUGS* Feel better soon. We're all here for you.

GoldenRetrLuver
10-04-2003, 09:01 PM
What cute puppies. :)
I hope you feel better soon...(((HUGS)))

Kfamr
10-04-2003, 09:03 PM
OMG Aly, they are darling!
You are just too horrible-- posting these adoralbe pictures, making me want a puppy!

I'm kidding, you're an angel. You should get an award for having the greatest heart in the world.
Just remember, like I said, Peka is happy, pain free. She loves you just as you love her.

CountryWolf07
10-04-2003, 09:15 PM
What kind are they? So cute..

aly
10-04-2003, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by CountryWolf07
What kind are they? So cute..

No clue yet. Probably big time mixed breeds. It will be easier to tell as they age.

dukedogsmom
10-04-2003, 09:22 PM
I just can't believe the cruelty of some humans. It continues to baffle me. Thank goodness there are people like you to give these sweet dogs a chance.

Amber
10-04-2003, 09:26 PM
Oh they are beautiful! Aly, we need more people like you! :) you are so caring!

wolfsoul
10-04-2003, 09:27 PM
((Hugs)) Hope the puppies take your mind off things. :)

Are you still fostering Piper and Sebastian? I guess they wouldn't be allowed to see these pups though, right?

They are adorable. Look at those tiny little ears. :)

Cookiebaker
10-04-2003, 09:38 PM
OOoooooh Aly!!! They are soo precious!! I think Peka has sent these two darling puppies to say thanks and to bring you comfort.

And I swear you are the biggest hearted person I know!! Thank you so much for caring for these puppies. Keep strong, and try to get lots of sleep when you can! :)

aly
10-04-2003, 09:41 PM
Yes, I still have Piper and Sebastian. Sebastian was neutered this week. He bounced back VERY quickly and is off creating havoc as I type this.

I'm REALLY busy right now with school and the shelter, but what can I say. I couldn't look at poor little dumpster puppies and say no. They wanted someone experienced to take my two because they were acting really weak so thats why I took them.

Foam
10-04-2003, 09:44 PM
They're adorable. Feel better soon and get a good night's rest, okay? :)

aly
10-04-2003, 09:45 PM
I wish I could get a good night's rest, but I've got to be up every two hours :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: I can't believe I'm doing this again so soon. I need my head checked.

tomkatzid
10-04-2003, 09:55 PM
Puppies in a dumpster:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Very nice of you to take them, the best medicine in the world is a cute little puppy or two to take care of, they are very cute.......the gray one is awesome, I love that color.....tom

mugsy
10-04-2003, 10:06 PM
Aly, you are an angel. I'm SURE that Peka sent these babies to you to help you heal. It was so nice of you to honor Peka by naming the little girl in her memory. They are incredibly cute.

sasvermont
10-05-2003, 06:33 AM
Aly, you are an angel to all pets. You are so kind and comforting to all those in need. Sometimes you must let the animal go to RB when it is their time. And you did.

There are so many animals in need and they have found you.

I don't know what kind of person would dump puppies in need like that. You are their new mom, and a GREAT one at that!

Gosh, you are going to heaven, for sure!

L,
SAS

cloverfdx
10-05-2003, 06:44 AM
oh aly you are an angel to take in all these needy animals :)

i will never understand some so called humans, dumping those sweet little puppies :mad: at least they are safe now.

my thoughts are still with you .

pitc9
10-05-2003, 07:03 AM
God Bless You!!

If I could bottle up energy, I'd do it, and send it to you!
You are a WONDERFUL person! You don't need your head checked! Now... as for the people who put the pups in the dumpster... now THEY are the one's who need there heads checked!!!

ChrisH
10-05-2003, 07:15 AM
Oh, Aly! Sucker? NO!! Big, Big, Heart? Yes!!
Wishing you well with those adorable little ones and keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.
Hugs
Chris

delidog
10-05-2003, 07:19 AM
Oh Aly,
They are Precious!!!!!
Peka Angel knew who to send them to...See She is looking down on you and sending you ones who need your love too!!!!
She knows and Loves You!!!

anna_66
10-05-2003, 09:56 AM
OMG Aly, how on earth do you do it girl?! This is something that will definately take your mind off what's been going on.
Hopefully they will help heal.
How in the world could anyone dump these cutie pies....it's just on my comprehension:( :(

Could you make me want a puppy any more:p

aly
10-05-2003, 10:56 AM
Its been a rough night :( My babies aren't eating and I'm scared to death. I can't handle another loss. I'm trying to get the foster coordinator at the shelter to work with me on finding another foster home to try to get them to eat. I just would feel better if someone else tried because I don't feel like I'm doing them any favors right now. I said I'd take them back after a couple days. I just need them to eat.

Ugh.

primabella
10-05-2003, 11:26 AM
Aly *HUGS*. I hope you feel better soon.

Maybe it would be best to give them a new foster home for awhile. You're under a lot of stress at the moment. try to get some rest. Good luck. :)

Cincy'sMom
10-05-2003, 01:57 PM
Oh My!! Are they cute, or what!?!? You are such an Angel Aly!

I hope they start eating soon and that you can get some rest.

Hang inthere...we're thinking of you.

tatsxxx11
10-05-2003, 03:28 PM
Aly, I'm so sorry for the loss of your precious Peka. I know it took so much out of you:( But what adorable little furballs you've taken on! I'm sure they're going to keep you occupied!:D You're an angel!! And yes, Peka sent these two wee ones to help you heal, I'm sure!:)

Samantha Puppy
10-05-2003, 03:33 PM
I find myself again starting a post saying, Aly you're an angel. You have got to be the most selfless person I've ever "met." Wow. :)

captain
10-05-2003, 07:46 PM
I ditto Samantha Puppy's comments

Aly - your name must surely mean ANGEL in some language .....

Truly amazing, and our thoughts, prayers and (((HUGS))) are here for you always

Sudilar
10-06-2003, 09:42 AM
Aly, you are an angel. I hope the pups are doing better today.

ramanth
10-06-2003, 10:56 AM
Ohhhh Lovable cuteness overload.

Aly you are definately an angel. *HUGS* I hope they start eating again.

aly
10-06-2003, 01:13 PM
Due to the extreme stress I've been under, I was flipping out REALLY bad about the puppies not eating. Well ok, it probably wasn't due to the stress, because I ALWAYS flip out when my bottle babies don't eat. ANYWAY, I was able to find a vet tech willing to come meet me at the shelter and look at them. She said they probably stopped eating because the formula upset their stomachs (they did have bad diarrhea). She gave them Pedialyte and Pepto (which was spit up on my shirt, hehe). She said she would take them for me for a couple days and get them eating. She took them yesterday evening and I'll call her this evening for an update.

She thinks they are Catahoula mixes. Its hard to tell this young though.

Thank you everyone for your kind comments. I will definately keep you updated on my new babies.

Logan
10-06-2003, 01:26 PM
Oh, Aly, I didn't see this before. But I'm glad you have found someone to help you. Please take the opportunity to get some rest while someone else is caring for these puppies, so you'll be ready for a joyful reunion with them. You seem to have that "never quit" attitude, which is so vital in rescue, but you need to take care of yourself at the same time.

Logan

Dakota's Mommy
10-06-2003, 01:48 PM
Oh Aly, you are such an Angel! You're always there to help! They are so adorable! I just can't believe you keep taking them in two at a time and making things tighter on you just to help them, that's why I know you're an Angel! Best of luck with these two, I hope things turn out as good as they did with the last two cuties! It makes me so mad that some people are so irresponsible to do this to such sweet, innocent pups! Thanks so much for the special work you keep on doing!

Cincy'sMom
10-06-2003, 03:36 PM
I'm glad you found someone to give your a break for a few days. You certainly deserve it!! And when you are ready to take those precious pups back under your loving care, we will be ready to see more pictures of them!!!

lovemyshiba
10-06-2003, 03:44 PM
Aly, you are so wonderful.
They are adorable, and I'm sure your Angel sent them to you.
Try to get some rest while someone else is looking after the pups, and then you can work your magic on them!!!

sabies
10-06-2003, 03:53 PM
Aly, you do so much it's incredible. I wish you didn't feel bad about Peka but then I guess you wouldn't be you if you didn't. All abandoned pups that come your way are very lucky.

Randi
10-06-2003, 03:58 PM
Aly, you definately don't need you head checked, you're wonderful caring for these cute puppies. A real angel on two feet! :) They could have found no better place to be!! :D But as Logan says, get some rest, they'll survive while you sleep! ;)

Lots of hugs to you and slurps to the puppies. :) Even a headbumpie from Fister! :eek:

Linda York
10-06-2003, 09:53 PM
:D Aly, I wouldn't say it says: "SUCKER" across your forehead. I would say it says: "ANGEL" and somehwere above your head is a halo. I just find it so very hard to beleive that humans (and I use the term lightly) would throw out puppies like garbage. Because they didn't get their dog fixed and were careless when she was in heat. Those little guys are the luckest pups to have you. I was very sorry to hear about your Peka, I too beleive that she sent these little guys to help ease your pain and suffering. I know that in the end you will get the gold stars for what you do and the other people will not, and we can't say what it is that they will get. You hang in there Aly, I wish that I could help you. :)

Linda York
10-06-2003, 10:00 PM
:rolleyes: I'm sorry.... I was so angry about the puppies being dumped. Still I an not beleive that some people are that in-human and with out feelings. I hope that poor mother dog is okay. Got off track again BUT I forgot to say how much I love the pictures of the pups. I especially love the one that shows their little feeties.... I just want to kiss them. I love puppie feet!!!!! :D :D
They are JUST TO CUTE!!!!!!!!

wolfsoul
10-06-2003, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by aly

She thinks they are Catahoula mixes. Its hard to tell this young though.

Catahoulas??!! :eek: My all time favourite breed?! :D Hehe. Why does she think they are catahoula mixes?

Crikit
10-06-2003, 10:10 PM
I always knew you had a big heart...and no you aren't a sucker, if I could I'd probably do the same thing..if anything you're like a big hershey's kiss, okay that's the first candy that came to my mind. :D

wolf_Q
10-06-2003, 11:26 PM
Awww they are so CUTE!! The names are so fitting. I can't wait to see what they will look like as they mature!!

Aly, you are amazing! I don't think anybody has the heart for animals like you do. :) Hope things work out, you deserved a break!

gini
10-06-2003, 11:36 PM
Aly, Aly, Aly, what are we going to do with you? Even though I think you should be called Saint Aly.......I also think you need some much deserved rest.

I am glad to read that you have some help on these new pups. If you get sick, you aren't going to be any good for anyone.

I too, fell for their feet. What precious babies...it will be interesting to get some more pictures as they grow.

Now Aly, get some rest!

say yes, Mom:D

stacwase
10-07-2003, 07:10 AM
I think taking the puppies was a wonderful thing - both for them and for you! They'll help you heal and you'll help them survive and give them a good home.

You have a heart of gold.

Rachel
10-07-2003, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by gini
Aly, Aly, Aly, what are we going to do with you? Even though I think you should be called Saint Aly.......I also think you need some much deserved rest.

I am glad to read that you have some help on these new pups. If you get sick, you aren't going to be any good for anyone.

I too, fell for their feet. What precious babies...it will be interesting to get some more pictures as they grow.

Now Aly, get some rest!

say yes, Mom:D

Just what I was going to say, Gini. Aly, there is one who you don't take good enough care of and that one is YOU. In order to do all the good that you do in this world, you need to make yourself a priority. You are young and have been able to get away with over extending yourself, but that is very risky. You know I am one of your biggest fans and champion all that you do, but I would feel better if you took a little time off now and then. Even the troops get R&R.

aly
10-08-2003, 03:02 PM
Yes, Moms :)

Thanks for reminding me that I do need to slow down. I am consistently taking on way waay WAAAAAAY too much. Getting no rest on top of it all just wears me down.

I am leaving in less than an hour to go pick up my babies :) I'll come back with pictures later on tonight after Obedience.

SeamusK
10-08-2003, 03:32 PM
God Bless Your heart ST. Aly.

I hope you know we all love ya. i hope you Get some well needed rest.

Good luck with the puppies.

-Seamus

aly
10-08-2003, 11:45 PM
:D

http://rescuedpaws.com///ps10-08-2.jpg

You can see Peka's mouth is open. She was nursing in her sleep, hehe.

Kater
10-09-2003, 12:28 AM
I can see Sterling's dark undercoat here......gorgeous! Awwwwww, such cuties!!!!! :D :D :D

Cookiebaker
10-09-2003, 05:50 AM
Oh what darlings!!!!! :D

anna_66
10-09-2003, 06:51 AM
Aly their adorable:D
How are they doing, and how about you?

aly
10-09-2003, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by anna_66
Aly their adorable:D
How are they doing, and how about you?

They're doing pretty good and so am I. I still always worry about my puppies until they're about 2 weeks old since they're still so tiny and fragile. They are eating well though :)

anna_66
10-09-2003, 07:07 AM
Glad to hear that:)

stacwase
10-09-2003, 07:12 AM
You must be exhausted, getting up every 2 hours. YOu'll certainly have a very strong bond with them. Are you going to find homes for either of them when they get big and strong, or are you going to keep both of them?

aly
10-09-2003, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by stacwase
You must be exhausted, getting up every 2 hours. YOu'll certainly have a very strong bond with them. Are you going to find homes for either of them when they get big and strong, or are you going to keep both of them?

They are just fosters. I foster bottle babies until they are 8 weeks old so they can be adopted.

pitc9
10-09-2003, 07:56 AM
I have said it before, I will say it again, and I will always say it.... you are an Angel!!!

Sudilar
10-09-2003, 09:12 AM
Glad you are better, aly. The pups are just toooo precious!!! Glad they are eating again!

Linda York
10-09-2003, 11:29 AM
:D Aly, gald to hear that you are doing better and that the babies are eating. :D You are one super person. I have told all my freinds to read this thread. We all have such a hard time beleiving that ANYONE could do such a thing. (throwing babiy puppies in the trash) And everyone here thinks that you are SO SPECIAL. And have a inner strength that few people have. Keep up the good work. It has to be very rewarding. We're all thinking about you and sending our best. :)
The pix of the babies are so cute..............

ChrisH
10-09-2003, 11:35 AM
Oh, my! they are adorable!:) :)

Smilla
10-09-2003, 11:40 AM
Just read this post, loved the pictures, and I'm so glad those puppies have you to look after them. I'm sorry about the loss of your Peka. I hope these puppies bring you some comfort.