PDA

View Full Version : Cat Grass?

babolaypo65
10-04-2003, 04:28 PM
I just bought Clive some cat grass. (was at the pet store with Owen, and felt guilty just buying HIM a treat)....

Do your cats like it? is it something you can GROW?

I have catnip growing and i dry my own, clive loves that!:)

Edwina's Secretary
10-04-2003, 05:58 PM
Edwina loves cat grass. It is also called wheat grass. I have grown it from seeds. It grows VERY fast!

Cheshirekatt
10-04-2003, 07:19 PM
Hey! I just grew both catnip and cat grass from seeds. They were easy to grow and I just let the kitties go to town on the grass. They love it!

How do I dry the catnip?

AvaJoy
10-04-2003, 10:44 PM
Debra (blk/wht) is my only cat interested in cat grass, so I grow it for her and she loves to nibble on it! Never thought of growing catnip . . . where do you get the seeds??

babolaypo65
10-04-2003, 11:35 PM
I got seeds on line. and also bought a small catnip plant that is now HUGE. To dry it I just cut it and leave it in the sun (out of reach, which is hard) then crumble it.

Thanks for the tips on the grass, I gave Clive a little and he loved it ! Now to grow my own....

jazzcat
10-04-2003, 11:59 PM
Ripley and Jazz absolutely love cat grass. Scout will take it or leave it. I buy it on ebay, it's called wheat grass. I've also bought organic oat grass but it doesn't seem to last as long. I have to be careful to not let Rip eat too much or he will throw up.

Here's a pic of Ripley and Jazz chowing down.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid71/p8d16eded08774abbf4b115905a71722e/fb99ef6c.jpg

RedHedd
10-05-2003, 11:39 AM
My two love the cat grass - better for them to chew on that than on my plants as they do when the cat grass dies down. The organic wheat grass is less pricey than the cat grass at Petco, but they don't seem to like it as much. Picky kids! :rolleyes: I'm going to try growing my own again - I used to do that for my RB Goldie, but she was never too crazy about it. I remember it was very easy to grow, just didn't last too long.

tomkatzid
10-05-2003, 11:43 AM
Kelcee would LOVE it if we let her have cat grass. But she throws up. Poor girl. When the back door is open more than a second, she tries to race out and chomp the grass growing tall by the side of the deck. Then she comes in and throws up severl times on the white carpet, while walking:( Poor Kelcee.

musicmaker
10-05-2003, 08:49 PM
thats one of the reasons cats eat grass. they eat it for the vitamens,and to help get hairballs up. my cats meow at me to go out in the mornings,just so they can get some grass. sence i live in the country,no grasses are sprayed with anything either. i even pull a handfull of grass to bring into the house for them. musicmaker

Lorraine
10-05-2003, 09:46 PM
I bought a little plant from Petsmart. It didn't last long at all, maybe a week, then it just withered away.Maybe I should try growing my own from seeds. I would love to try to grow catnip as well. My cats love both. I think it is important for them, since they never go outside.

catmandu
10-06-2003, 09:39 AM
My dear sister in law Catharine bought my Cats Cat grass last Xmas! and I cannot beleive how fast that they ate it all up! So now I buy it on a regular basis , and they love it! And it seems to be good for them!Mrrrrreeeeeewwwww!

10-06-2003, 09:51 AM
I have grown it before, but neither one of my cats paid any attention to it...:( ! They prefer the real thing :D ;)

Miss Meow
10-06-2003, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by musicmaker
thats one of the reasons cats eat grass. they eat it for the vitamens,and to help get hairballs up. my cats meow at me to go out in the mornings,just so they can get some grass. sence i live in the country,no grasses are sprayed with anything either. i even pull a handfull of grass to bring into the house for them. musicmaker

Mini and Tabasco do that too. They scoff the catgrass, then vomit when they get inside. It seems to help with furballs.

Ours don't really like catnip, but I am trying to germinate some seeds now to plant under the fruit trees, as it's apparently a great companion plant for fruit trees :)