PDA

View Full Version : Should I make the litterbox cake?

Tonya
10-04-2003, 03:21 PM
Should I make this litterbox cake for my halloween party? Part of me thinks it is to disgusting to serve, the other part of me thinks it is way to cool not to share. Here's the recipe and a picture:

1 SPICE or GERMAN CHOCOLATE CAKE MIX
1 WHITE CAKE MIX
1 pkg WHITE SANDWICH COOKIES
1 large pkg VANILLA INSTANT PUDDING MIX
GREEN FOOD COLORING
12 small TOOTSIE ROLLS
1 new KITTY LITTER BOX
1 new KITTY LITTER BOX LINER
1 new POOPER SCOOPER

Prepare cake mixes and bake according to directions (any size pans).

Prepare pudding mix and chill until ready to assemble.

Crumble white sandwich cookies in small batches in blender, they tend to stick, so scrape often. Set aside all but about 1/4 cup. [*** see below]

To the 1/4 cup cookie crumbs, add a few drops green food coloring and mix using a fork or shake in a jar.

When cakes are cooled to room temperature, crumble into a large bowl. Toss with half the remaining white cookie crumbs and the chilled pudding. You probably won't need all of the pudding, mix with the cake and "feel" it, you don't want it soggy, just moist; gently combine.

Line new, clean kitty litter box. Put mixture into litter box.

Put three unwrapped Tootsie rolls in a microwave safe dish and heat until soft and pliable. Shape ends so they are no longer blunt, curving slightly.

Repeat with 3 more Tootsie rolls and bury in mixture.

Sprinkle the other half of cookie crumbs over top. Scatter the green cookie crumbs lightly over the top, this is supposed to look like the chlorophyll in kitty litter.

Heat remaining Tootsie Rolls, 3 at a time, in the microwave until almost melted. Scrape them on top of the cake and sprinkle with cookie crumbs.
**This is my addition--only spread 5 of the remaining Tootsie Rolls over the top; take one and heat until pliable, hang it over the side of the kitty litter box; sprinkling it lightly with cookie crumbs.**

Place the box on a newspaper and sprinkle a few of the cookie crumbs around.

Serve with a new pooper scooper.

http://www.kidskuisine.com/images/recipe/104.jpg

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
10-04-2003, 03:29 PM
HOW CAN YOU NOT!! THAT IS THE COOLEST CAKE!

*ahem*

I think you should, if you want too... :o

Uabassoon
10-04-2003, 03:29 PM
That cakes is the grossest looking food ever! So I say Yes!

Christiansmommy
10-04-2003, 03:31 PM
Personally, i don't think i could stomach eating it...but that is just me :)

I have heard of dirt cake...where you stick gummy worms in it...that could be an option if you choose not to do the litter box cake...

Robyn

mugsy
10-04-2003, 03:33 PM
OMG....that is just WAY too funny! Go for it.

momofcats
10-04-2003, 03:37 PM
You know your guests...is this something they would "appreciate" or be "grossed out" from?

Personally, I think it is perfect for a Halloween party (although you may want to have a second dessert for the squeemish).

Tonya
10-04-2003, 03:43 PM
You know your guests...is this something they would "appreciate" or be "grossed out" from?

I can't even decide if I appreciate it or am grossed out, let alone what my guests will think!

binka_nugget
10-04-2003, 03:45 PM
I think that looks way too cool! Lol

Cheshirekatt
10-04-2003, 03:50 PM
I would make it for the shock factor, but then I would make another more palatable one for actual eating.

:D

That's truly the most repellent thing I've ever seen......I love it!

G.P.girl
10-04-2003, 04:12 PM
i love it!!!!

THAT IS SOOOO COOL!!i think you should do it! it would be so funny. if your guests dont like it they dont have to eat it, but that
is what a halloween party is about, getting grossed out

dukedogsmom
10-04-2003, 10:37 PM
I love it and if they have that little sense of humor, how in the world do they have any fun at all?

Twisterdog
10-04-2003, 10:43 PM
Perfect for Halloween. Go for it!

I had a Westminster dog show party once. I put bean dip in Alpo dog food cans, put Chex mix in a dog food bag, and put yellow food coloring in the white wine. It was hilarious!!

I've had the dirt cake, too, it's cute.

bluekat
10-05-2003, 10:01 AM
LOL:D I kind of laughed when I saw the title of your post, hehe:p

I LOVE that cake! I've never tasted it but it looks delicious;) I'd like to make it too if only my mom will let me.

IttyBittyKitty
10-05-2003, 04:53 PM
oh my that is so disgusting!

Scott found a small lump of mummified chocolate cake in our oven that looked EXACTLY like a turd ... he was going to leave it on the laundry floor for me to find ...

RICHARD
10-05-2003, 05:17 PM
test drive...

i made one this morning and it was fun...

Mom got kinda grossed out when i took it to her house..

I rate it a 9 on the gross out factor!!

Felicia's Mom
10-05-2003, 05:50 PM
Yes, make the litterbox cake!:D

Maresche
10-06-2003, 07:59 AM
I've made this cake for my office's Halloween party last year and it was a hit! Most everybody had some though the Tootsie roll "poopies" were carefully eaten around. :D

I say go for it, but be prepared to take the first bite to prove to everyone it isn't for real.

RICHARD
10-06-2003, 04:24 PM
btw,

Mom asked me where I got the idea to make a cake like that......

Don't worry, I didn't rat anyone out.

slick
10-06-2003, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
test drive...

i made one this morning and it was fun...

Mom got kinda grossed out when i took it to her house..

I rate it a 9 on the gross out factor!!

OMG, a man who bakes!! Be still my heart :eek:

catland
10-06-2003, 04:30 PM
I think Halloween is the perfect time for a cake like this. I can remember the kids games with the bowls of grapes that were eyeballs or the spagetti that was brains. So why not a kitty litter cake.

I might just create one for my office.

bluekat
10-06-2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by slick
OMG, a man who bakes!! Be still my heart :eek:

Haha, LMAO!:D Exactly what I was thinking :D ;) :p

Cheshirekatt
10-06-2003, 05:02 PM
I'm going to make this cake for a friend of mine who's birthday is on Halloween! :)

She'll love it!

RICHARD
10-07-2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Cheshirekatt
I'm going to make this cake for a friend of mine who's birthday is on Halloween! :)

She'll love it!

scorpios love dark humor, practical jokes and
caca cakes...

Cheshirekatt
10-07-2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
scorpios love dark humor, practical jokes and
caca cakes...

And certain body parts. Or so I've heard. :)

She gave me a dog poop calender for my birthday last year. lolololol It featured a different 'pile' for every month and even had a bio of each dog who contributed!

GoldenRetrLuver
10-07-2003, 05:04 PM
She gave me a dog poop calender for my birthday last year. lolololol It featured a different 'pile' for every month and even had a bio of each dog who contributed!

LMAO! :D
I say go for it! Looks neat!:D

Cinder & Smoke
10-07-2003, 05:18 PM
...Zippy-Kat inquired...

Does anyone...? (have a recipe)... (http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7531)

The Fruits of Her Labor were shown here...

Halloween Party (2001) (http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7313)

Sadly :( the *excellent & detailed* photos of the results were lost
after the demise of Photo Hosting site...
Maybe Zipp still has a copy of the photos she can share.

momoffuzzyfaces
10-07-2003, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Maresche
I've made this cake for my office's Halloween party last year and it was a hit! Most everybody had some though the Tootsie roll "poopies" were carefully eaten around. :D

I say go for it, but be prepared to take the first bite to prove to everyone it isn't for real.
Back in the dark ages when I worked for an insurance company, one of the girls made this for Halloween too. That was the best party we ever had. They ate it all; Tootsie roll "poopies" included.:D

bluekat
10-08-2003, 04:30 PM

LMAO! That's so cool:D

iceyshiver21
10-09-2003, 07:09 PM
Now thats litter I wouldnt mind scooping...and eating :D

trayi52
10-17-2003, 01:07 AM
Oh by all means, yes, yes, I think that would be so cool, its not like your using a dirty litterbox, it says a new one I tried to get my oldest daughter to make it, and she just grossed out, but when I get the chance, I am going to make it, Afterall its Halloween, that would be great for Halloween, personally I would eat it.:D , I have ate the one called Worms and Dirt, and it is delicious, my daughter made it for my granddaughters birthday, I ate that and not the birthday cake.:D anyway I love the idea. You have fun with that cake.

momoffuzzyfaces
10-17-2003, 06:01 PM
One thing: if you brush a little syrup over the tootsie rolls, it looks even more realistic.;) :D

amoore
10-23-2003, 06:56 PM
Sure ,it would be perfect for Holloween!:D

wolflady
10-23-2003, 07:30 PM
That is great! Yes, it is a definite must for Halloween! In fact, I think I will make it and bring it to the veterinary hospital where I work. I think they will appreciate the humor! LOL LOL

Have fun with the cake! :D
**hugs**
Karen

slick
10-28-2003, 01:00 PM
Tonya: I'm going to make this cake for a party here at work on Thurs the 30th. Now we'll see who the wimps are.

I've got the list of ingredients but the instructions are fuzzy. Do you just bake the different flavours of cake and crumble them up into the litterbox??:confused: :confused: How long did it take you to assemble it?

You can PM me if you want. I'm going shopping tonight.

catland
10-29-2003, 06:59 PM
Slick - check out this link, it might help

http://bertc.com/kitty.htm

slick
10-29-2003, 07:05 PM
Thanks Catland. Actually, I bought the ingredients last night and baked the cakes and made the pudding. Tonight, I'm putting it all together. Boy, the people around here are really going to be put off, I know it. Hee Hee, this will weed out the wimps for sure!!

Tonya
10-29-2003, 09:29 PM
Sorry for the late response, Slick. I have been real busy. Yes, you just crumble all the stuff together. It is sooo easy. There really isn't a way to mess it up. I had a tough time getting the right teal color on the cat litter. I wound up stirring the green and blue dye with a drop of water first before mixing it with the cookies.

By the way, I have severe blisters on my hands. Be careful when you make the poopies! I burnt the heck out of myself!

slick
10-29-2003, 09:39 PM
Thanks Tonya!! I'm at home now and have crumbled the cakes into a large bowl. Will finish shortly and hopefully someone tomorrow will take photos with a digital camera so I can post some pictures. My recipe called for green food colouring so that's all I bought. We'll see.

trayi52
10-29-2003, 09:48 PM
Great! I hope you do take some pictures of it, and post it. I want to see what one of those kind of cakes look like. All I can do is imagine.:)

slick
10-29-2003, 11:23 PM
Well, it's done and I've taken a couple of pics with my "one-time use" camera.

I'm a little disappointed in that the vanilla cookies on top look too much like bread crumbs, although I was careful not to grind them up too much. Maybe a darker cookie would work better. My litter is gray in colour and this looks nothing like that. But the poops are perfect.:D

OMG Max is pooping behind me as we speak. I guess that's his opinion of the cake. Gotta go have dinner. Later.

Shelteez2
10-29-2003, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by trayi52
Great! I hope you do take some pictures of it, and post it. I want to see what one of those kind of cakes look like. All I can do is imagine.:)
I showed my mom this thread and now she is making a cake for her work, LOL

I can take pics too.

Kfamr
10-29-2003, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by slick

OMG Max is pooping behind me as we speak. I guess that's his opinion of the cake. Gotta go have dinner. Later.

Oh, lovely... Dinner and POOP CAKE -- and the real thing. :rolleyes: :p :p

ramanth
10-30-2003, 09:29 AM
I showed my mom the recipe and she loved it! I picked up the litterboxes and scoopers and she bought the ingrediants and we're making our cakes tonight to take to work tomorrow. :D

Both of our workplaces are not expecting them... ;)

Wish us luck!!

slick
10-30-2003, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by ramanth
I showed my mom the recipe and she loved it! I picked up the litterboxes and scoopers and she bought the ingrediants and we're making our cakes tonight to take to work tomorrow. :D

Both of our workplaces are not expecting them... ;)

Wish us luck!!
Like Tonya says, be careful when nuking the tootsie rolls, they get really hot. Only keep them in their for about 15 sec and that should make them pliable enough to shape. Also, I melted one down completely and spread it on top in the middle to look like diarrhea. Hee Heee......I love gross things :D :D I also lined the litter pan with a cut up white garbage bag, then laid down a layer of saran wrap, then put in the cake in.
Good luck and don't forget, pictures, pictures, pictures.

amoore
10-30-2003, 10:49 AM
sounds like a deliciously gross looking cake ! i think i will make one too ! heh,heh,heh ! :D

Shelteez2
10-31-2003, 12:04 AM
Here's my mom's cake:
http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Oct/200310306923438161261028.jpg

http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Oct/200310305655934849072451.jpg

No one is expecting it at my mom's work either. It should be interesting to say the least, LOL

ramanth
10-31-2003, 08:26 AM
You're's turned out great!!! :D

My mom and I had fun making them. (She baked the cake and made the pudding the night before so all we had to do is put it together. :D)

We had tons of cookie crumbs left over, but I think they turned out well! :)

I'll share pics after my co-workers dig in.... ;)

momofcats
10-31-2003, 12:22 PM
A girl at my office made one (and she doesn't even visit this sight or have cats).

I couldn't stay to have a piece during the party, but it looked great (gross) and she will save me a piece for tomorrow to actually see how it tastes:eek: .

trayi52
10-31-2003, 12:29 PM
Shelteez2
Thats a great looking(disgusting:D ) cake. Thanks for showing us the pictures of it. Putting the tootsie roll on the edge of the pan made it look very realistic.
I hope the rest of you that make this cake will post pictures also. I need to show my daughter the picture of the cake, she really grossed out back in August, when I tried to get her to make it for a joke at her daughters birthday party. LOL.
Let us know how it tastes.

ramanth
10-31-2003, 12:38 PM
My cake was a hit! :D :cool:

Here's how mine turned out.
http://kia.cutestsandgirl.com/images/kiamisc/kim_littercake.jpg

And proof it was eaten.
http://kia.cutestsandgirl.com/images/kiamisc/coworkers_littercake.jpg

Everyone said it was delicious (kudos to my mom's baking skills :D ) and that it was hilarious. Many asked for the recipe.

Thanks for posting this Tonya!

amoore
10-31-2003, 12:42 PM
wow those pictures of your cake is realistic !It does look like a litterbox !

trayi52
10-31-2003, 12:46 PM
ramanth
What did they say when you walked in with that cake?! And they ate it! That is so cool! You have to tell the reaction that you got when you first walked in with the cake, I mean it looks like the real thing. ewweeee:D ;)

slick
10-31-2003, 02:29 PM
This is what mine looked like:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid86/p723326b169c1f9b0ec28cc158b730129/faafea31.jpg

ramanth
10-31-2003, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by trayi52
ramanth
What did they say when you walked in with that cake?! And they ate it! That is so cool! You have to tell the reaction that you got when you first walked in with the cake, I mean it looks like the real thing. ewweeee:D ;)
I sent an email saying that Halloween treats would be available at 10:15 (Normal break time) and at 10 a.m. I set up the cake and sat back and waited. Tim was the first to arrive and he's laughing and asks if it's supposed to be a litter box. I told him it was and he just loved it and dug right in. (He especially loved the poopy on the side of the box) :D

Everyone elses reaction was pretty much the same. They laughed and said it looked disgustingly real but that didn't stop them from digging in. I even provided a serving spoon to make it easier to dish out but almost everyone used the pooper scooper! LOL!

I expressed how I was worried everyone would be too disgusted to eat it and Leah said, "Well Kim, you've just proved that lawyers will eat anything." lol!

:)

*edit* I just went back up at 3 p.m. and the cake is over half gone and someone ate the "poopy" off the side of the box!

RICHARD
10-31-2003, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by ramanth
"Well Kim, you've just proved that lawyers will eat anything." lol!

:)

*edit* I just went back up at 3 p.m. and the cake is over half gone and someone ate the "poopy" off the side of the box!

New litter box.........8.00
Litter scoop............4.00
Assorted baking
materials...............12.00

Knowing that your co-workers will
eat a cake that's loosely based on
Kitty Kaka.............................................. .......priceless!!

amoore
10-31-2003, 02:59 PM
I printed your pictures , They looked like real litterboxs !
I think i will send the rescipe and pictures to my son . He is a lawyer( lol )... He gets a kick out of funny things like that !

Tonya
11-01-2003, 10:05 AM
Mine:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid86/p3f38479f7eeb636c95865ac271b27978/faadfe1c.jpg

ramanth
11-01-2003, 03:40 PM
That looks awesome Tonya! :D