PDA

View Full Version : Responsibly breeding mutts

wolfsoul
10-04-2003, 11:23 AM
I often hear people say they don't believe in breeding mutts -- mainly because they come from BYB's. And I also don't like BYB's.

But I think it would be good if there were reputable breeders with hip/eye etc. checked stock, health certificates, pedigrees, registration, everything that makes a good breeder good, breeding mutts.

I hear most people on this site say that mutts are the best, or mutts are great; wouldn't it be better if the mutts came from healthy lines?

What are your opinions on this? Do you think that mutts should be bred responsibly?

Uabassoon
10-04-2003, 12:06 PM
I'll stick to the good old fashined mutt that comes from the humaine society.

PayItForward
10-04-2003, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Uabassoon
I agree.

If we ever run out of pets at the shelter, that is the time to talk about breeding.

Dobiegirl24
10-04-2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Uabassoon

Same here. And besides, if you were to breed a mutt, there would be no breed standard for you to breed to and perfect, so you would really have no reason to breed a mutt, besides to be a companion. But there are millions of companions being put to sleep in shelters, and being bred by responsible breeders. So imo there is no need for mutt breeders.

primabella
10-04-2003, 12:40 PM
Okay this is just to let you know I'm deleting my first post because I think I misunderstood the idea of the thread. :o :o :o

Twisterdog
10-04-2003, 12:45 PM
When there is a good home for every dog bred, and no dogs die at shelters and animals for simply lack of time, space, money and homes .... then we can start discussing intentionally breeding mutts. Until that time, we should all be concentrating our time, efforts and energy on reducing the pet over-population problem, educating people and making sure tens of thousands of dogs don't have to die.

Cincy'sMom
10-04-2003, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by PayItForward
I agree.

If we ever run out of pets at the shelter, that is the time to talk about breeding.

Ditto

primabella
10-04-2003, 12:49 PM
If we ever run out of pets at the shelter, that is the time to talk about breeding

Thank you PayItForward, this is what I was trying to say. lol. And it should only be done by someone who knows about both breeds and is very experienced and responsible.

Uabassoon
10-04-2003, 12:54 PM
I hear most people on this site say that mutts are the best, or mutts are great; wouldn't it be better if the mutts came from healthy lines?

Actually in general (but of course not always) mutts are often healthier than purebreds because they dont have these breed related problems.

Kfamr
10-04-2003, 01:29 PM
I'll agree with what Laura said. As long as have dogs, they will come from the shelter. I love mutts because they're so unique. :)

mugsy
10-04-2003, 02:33 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by PayItForward
I agree.

If we ever run out of pets at the shelter, that is the time to talk about breeding. [/QUOTE

DITTO again!

Cheshirekatt
10-04-2003, 02:44 PM
Besides, most of the fun of having a mutt is trying to find out what breed's in them!

I love taking my dogs out and having people think they just know what's in em! :D

It's fun!

lizbud
10-04-2003, 07:44 PM
"Responsible Breeding" is an oxymoron in this day & age when
so many Purebred & Mutts are put to death every day for lack
of responsible owners. When every dog & cat in every shelter
has a good caring home, and only then, should we even think
about breeding more dogs to sell.

Cataholic
10-04-2003, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by lizbud
"Responsible Breeding" is an oxymoron in this day & age when
so many Purebred & Mutts are put to death every day for lack
of responsible owners. When every dog & cat in every shelter
has a good caring home, and only then, should we even think
about breeding more dogs to sell.

AMEN!

CathyBogart
10-04-2003, 09:20 PM
I agree with the general concensus here, it would be beyond irresponsible to breed more mutts when so many homeless ones are PTS.

KYS
10-05-2003, 10:02 AM
I also agree it would be irresponsible to breed mutts
with so many animals on the streets and in shelters.
I also think it is irresponsible for pure bread breeders,
to breed unless they are knowledgeable in genetics
and are responsible breeders.
We have enough sickly purebreads and homeless dogs
already.
Mutts are usually thought to be heathier because their
pooling from a larger gene pool,
but unfortunately it is still like a crap shoot.
(I would assume it would take several generations of
carefull healthy mutts breeding since we no longer have
survival of the fitess, as in the wild)
I have had my share of heartbreak with sickly mixes,
as well as pure breads.
JMHO

2kitties
10-06-2003, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Cataholic
AMEN!
amen from me too!

RICHARD
10-06-2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by WolfChan
I agree with the general concensus here, it would be beyond irresponsible to breed more mutts when so many homeless ones are PTS.

Tell that to the morons who see the 'taco bell' dog, 101 dalmatians, beethoven and all the other
'cute' animal movies.

People want a 'movie star' animal because the kids
yell and scream-they are cute- and look at the tricks they do.

They do not realize the work, effort, love and responsbility attached to having an animal....

Where's Spuds Mc Kenzie these days???

Uabassoon
10-06-2003, 04:20 PM
Where's Spuds Mc Kenzie these days???

I heard hes been busy with his AA meetings, I saw those commercials he was quite the party dog!