PDA

View Full Version : Why oh Why...outside the box?

Pattycat
10-04-2003, 10:07 AM
I just can't understand why, after all these years, 13!!!, my big ole orange tabby cat insists on pooping outside the box...he urinates in the box, but poops right outside the box. I always clean the area and use Miracle Aid to spray after, but, almost every day now, same thing. He will do this even when the box is totally clean (I clean out 1st and last thing every day, and in between if I see anything). I know he's getting old, and tired, and a bit arthritic, but if he pees inside the box, why is choosing not to poop there? If I could only talk to the animals....any ideas out there? Thanks. Pattycat

jenluckenbach
10-04-2003, 04:14 PM
Is it possible that he is actually standing in the box when he poops but his butt is over the side allowing it to fall on the floor?

moosmom
10-04-2003, 04:27 PM
Jen's right...my foster did the same thing. Turns out the litterbox the shelter gave me was too small for her. So I got her a covered one and solved the problem.

AvaJoy
10-04-2003, 09:47 PM
I sympathize as my senior Lily (gray) will also poop outside the box yet always pee inside . . . I think it is due to constipation coupled with her impatience. Sometimes she will leave a little poopy in box, and then I will find a bigger one out on the carpet somewhere . . . this happens maybe once a week. I mix Lactalose (from vet) into her wet food at each feeding to help things move easier for her, but it is not completely resolving the problem. :( I'm just thankful my old gal does not have the runs on my carpet! :cool:

Pattycat
10-04-2003, 10:19 PM
No, it's not logistically possible for him to be in the box and missing...he's definetly outside the box. Also...not constipated. I tried having a serious conversation with him this morning, but, he didn't want to discuss it....oh well, I still love him. He probably has some reason for it. Now if he starts wandering too far from the litterbox, I might love him a little less...LOL.

AvaJoy
10-04-2003, 10:32 PM
One possiblity could be that he had experienced discomfort defacating inside his box at some point, not necessarily caused by constipation. So he now associates the box with causing him pain when he has to go number two, so to avoid re-experiencing that he chooses to eliminate outside. Often times this is the case when cats have a painful urinary tract infection . . . they begin to pee inappropriately.

jenluckenbach
10-05-2003, 05:01 AM
It is true that it could be medical. pain associated with a bowel movement may make him resist going into the box.
You may want to try a second box. Just because he used the same box for all these years, doesn't mean that his preferences didn't changed (and some cats don't like to pee and poop in the same box).
Also, could the level of the litter be too low. I have one cat who only poops outside the box if he feels the litter level is not deep enough.
Was he scared while inside the box pooping? and now he fears it happening again?

Pattycat
10-05-2003, 09:01 AM
I already have two litter boxes, but perhaps it is a level of litter thing....I have been keeping it lower for my convenience....it's easier to scoop! I'll try that. I hope it's not a "pain" thing...poor old kitty...but how would I know that? Thanks for all the input.

trayi52
10-12-2003, 11:51 AM
Hi, I had the same problem with one of my cats, she lived to be 16 years old and she just would not use her box either. I don't know why, maybe it was her age. I done like you, I just cleaned up after her. Her name was Pyewackett, and I loved her very much. Thank you for being so patient with your baby. We love them no matter what they do.:)

Pattycat
10-12-2003, 12:11 PM
I'm knocking on wood here, but I filled the litter boxes with more litter and for 3 days now, Killer's gone in the box! Oh my goodness, if it is as simple as that....wouldn't it be wonderful??? It's wierd, cuz it's not like he likes to "bury" it....he's always left it for the world to admire!! Thanks everyone....

RedHedd
10-12-2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Pattycat
It's wierd, cuz it's not like he likes to "bury" it....he's always left it for the world to admire!! Thanks everyone....

LOL -- My Mishi is the same way; my RB Goldie was the same way too -- both are orangies and both do not like to get their paws dirty. Mishi makes a feeble attempt by pawing at the carpet around the box :rolleyes: and every once in a while he misses the box too. I figured it out that I just hadn't been as diligent in scooping as he likes; no problems now.

Cataholic
10-12-2003, 01:49 PM
Wow...I MUST make Lilycat see this. One or two of her stippy boys poops outside the box!

MUSICMAKER1235
10-12-2003, 11:00 PM
this may not work with an arthritic cat,but my litter box is one of those rubbermaid storage boxes. it is almost 2 foot tall and 2 foot wide and 3 foot long. i set something beside the box they can use as a step,and they go right in. the reason for me doing this is my babies would sling the litter all over the place.they do bring some out that sticks to there feet,but not like before. :) :)

Pattycat
10-13-2003, 09:39 AM
I like the idea of a tall box, but I'd have to have a step on the inside too!! LOL.... It is a great idea for younger cat though!

Cataholic
10-13-2003, 02:56 PM
You know, if the box was big enough, you could fit a step both outside AND inside the box! It would totally work, and keep the litter to a small sized beach.

iloverat
10-14-2003, 01:41 PM
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you solved your problem just by adding more litter to the box. These babies do talk to us; interpreting their "language" is a task unto itself. Our cat, Briggs had her litterbox in the laundry room. She routinely acted as your cat did - pee in the box, poop on the floor. We tried everything we could think of as a remedy - toss out ALL litter more frequently, scrub the box more often, add more litter -- you name it. Eventually, I woke up to the fact that Briggs always chose a corner of the room when she relieved herself. I rearranged the laundry room so that her box could fit into a corner and VOILA!!! That was what she wanted all along. I did continue to wonder why she would use the box for one function and not the other. She's not talking but as long as that issue is resolved I'm not pressing her for answers.:rolleyes: Love 'em, love 'em, love 'em!!!!!!!

tomkatzid
10-14-2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
keep the litter to a small sized beach.
This made me laugh out loud:D :D :D

You could use another small plastic box on the inside for a step, easy to clean in case waves washed up on it from the beach;)

Tonya
10-15-2003, 06:05 AM
I'm knocking on wood here, but I filled the litter boxes with more litter and for 3 days now, Killer's gone in the box! Oh my goodness, if it is as simple as that....wouldn't it be wonderful??? It's wierd, cuz it's not like he likes to "bury" it....he's always left it for the world to admire!! Thanks everyone....

Cats :rolleyes: They can be so picky! My cats are like that. The litter has to be clean, a particular type, a particular level, and no one can be around. If not, I find poopies outside the box. I have no idea which cat it is.