PDA

View Full Version : Honey has a limp.......

Logan
12-26-2001, 07:16 PM
And you guys are so supportive with your prayers and sweet concern that I thought I would let you know a couple of things about it. First of all, we "think" we know what caused it. She jumped off of Helen's bed a week or so ago, and must have landed wrong, or slid. Helen said she "fell", and it was the middle of the night. Noticed a little limp, but didn't worry too much because most of the time there was no limp.

Yesterday, while we were visiting my parents, Honey and I took a couple of long walks, and "yes", she got to swim in the pond too. After returning home, and coming inside, she could barely get up off the floor in my parent's kitchen. It is tile, and obviously very hard. So I watched her last night, had her sleep in the room with me. The limping is mostly occuring after lying down for a long period of time.

So, off to Dr. R we went today, when we got back to Greenville. He xrayed the hips..I was so worried. He checked her "knee" to make sure she hadn't torn that cruciate ligament....all is well with that. Thank goodness! I told Helen later that I was so glad to have an xray of Honey's hips.....I have always worriede that she would develop the same problems Lilly has, since they have the same father.

Anyway, Dr. R. said for us to keep Honey "quiet". LOL! Quiet?? Honey??? But he has put her on a one week dose of Rimadyl, not long term. He thinks she strained something when she fell off the bed and wants an update on Monday to see how she is doing. I feel better already!!! :D

quanzhan
12-26-2001, 07:48 PM
Logan, I am so glad that Honey does not have anything really serious. You must be so released.
Sounds like you guys have a great time at your parents place. is The weather still warm over SC? It was cold here in Richmond. I am taking 2 weeks off from work, I need a break so badly. I had been working on 2 projects back to back since last year this time. I had to work a lot of overtimes (without pay of cause) to meet the deadline. So I just stayed at home, did some shopping, cooking, cleaning, watching TV and spending time with my daughter and Zack (he is doing great by the way). Too bad it's only a 2 weeks break. I have to go back to work next Monday.
Is Helen your only child?

Sudilar
12-26-2001, 08:01 PM
Glad to hear that it is nothing serious. Last year Shiloh jumped off my bed wrong and did the same thing, but it was her elbow. She favored it for a while, but with the Rimadyl she was back to normal quickly. Then right after that, Killian did something that we did not witness and ended up limping (rear leg) too. (We said it was sympathy pains.) He was x-rayed and we were relieved to find out that he has very good hips (GSD, you know) and he just needed Rimadyl, too. This was before his liver disease was evident. I am wondering if the Rimadyl could have been a contributing factor in his liver problems. It has been known to cause problems in some dogs. :confused:
Get some rest, Honey, and be sure that Mom waits on you hand and foot, little princess!! Good luck!

[ December 26, 2001: Message edited by: Sudilar ]

jackiesdaisy1935
12-26-2001, 08:44 PM
Hi Logan, Poor Honey it must have been painful, but I'm glad it's not serious, I'm sure the medication will help. That's what we gave Kona the last year of her life and helped her a lot to walk and enjoy her life.
Hope you had a nice Christmas, nice to be with family. Honey gets a little hug and kiss from us and Lily, Butter and Mimi too.
Quanzhan, I'm so glad that Zack is doing well, give him a hug from all of us.
Jackie

aly
12-27-2001, 01:21 AM
So glad to hear Honey is not doing TOO bad. I will keep her in my prayers. Lolly actually has a little limp too. She tripped at the top of the stairs and started whimpering. I was rushing her to the emergency vet but she seemed to be okay after a couple minutes. The vet told me to take her home and watch her. The poor emergency vet knows me by first name now :rolleyes:

Cinder & Smoke
12-27-2001, 11:45 AM
Poor *Honey*Bucket* :( ~ We'll cross sum Pawz.

Lil brudder Smokey used to have trouble stayin on the BigBed :rolleyes: when he first arrived. He used to lay beside Dad wiffa back on the edge an pawz pointin at Dad. After a few tummie *skritchez* he'd try to roll over on his back to relocate the skritch point. You guessed it - over the edge wiffa *whump* onna floor :rolleyes:.

He'd pick hinself up, shake bout three times, then we'd see a couple BIG eyeballs peekin up over the side of the bed. He alluz acted like he thought Dad had pushed him over, cuz he usually hid unner the bed for a while.

Hope ya get to feelin better real soon, Honey gurl!

Albea
12-27-2001, 12:21 PM
Logan,
I'm sorry to hear that Honey had a limp, but happy to know it's nothing serious. The Rimadyl seems to have a very quick effect. A couple of months ago I also noticed Carina was limping one evening and whimpering when she tried to go up on my bed. Needless to say, we were at the vet's the next day. He didn't find anything wrong and gave me Rimadyl; she was fine in no time. Then I realized what had happened: she had played tug-of-war, her favorite game, with too much enthousiasm and probably pulled a muscle in her shoulder.
Aren't these Golden girls fragile in spite of how strong they look? :(
Big hugs to Honey, and Lily too.

AdoreMyDogs
12-28-2001, 10:24 AM
Oh I am so sorry about Ms. Honey Bunny :( I am very relived that it was not anything too serious and that her hips and elbows looked OK. Phew!!!

karen israel
12-28-2001, 12:24 PM
I know that Honey-bee is ok by now, Thank Goodness! Cody started the limps the same time, of course, gets rushed in a panic to the vet (fit me in! pleease)cause I thought it was ACL again, but it was just a strained knee. Good ole Rimydal, tho I don't fancy giving it to him for long. Cody goof-ball walks with his head down (King of the Sniffs) LOVES the dirty. fallen, wet leaves, jumps in them for a pee and then trips over the curb. He had a cracked nail which the vet cut down, but ugh and yikes,.. :( :eek: came in the other day bleeding all over the floor. The nail just broke all the way off. He actually let me clean it off and apply ointment and now he's ok (I hope)What a miracle I didn't run back to the vet! :rolleyes: (his kids are heading for college on a K9karen scholarhip! LOL)
Anyway..I'm kind of relieved I'm not the only one that worries so much.
And while I'm at it..AWWWWW, at Graham's photo..poor lil good boy, so pathetic I could just kiss him all day. Poor Baby Boy :(

jackiesdaisy1935
12-28-2001, 08:48 PM
Karen, I think we all panic when it comes to our "kids" Perry was vomiting the other morning and there was string in it, then he pooped and there was string in that too, we looked high and low for what he got into and never could find it. I guess it came out in both ends. LOL He is fine now.

Logan, how is Honey doing now, is she feeling a little better? I hope so, she needs lots of lovin to make it go away.
Jackie

Dixieland Dancer
12-28-2001, 08:57 PM
Logan,
Prayers for the Golden Girl to have a quick recovery! Let us know how she is doing.

RachelJ
12-29-2001, 01:29 PM
I'm assuming that Honey Bunches, Reeces Pieces, and the Coder are so happy that they got some extra good atttention out of this, but that was probably what helped the most. Here's to everyone staying healthy next year, and the Vet's kids don't need to go to Harvard.

Rottie
12-29-2001, 04:26 PM
I'm so glad it doesn't seem to be anything serious! :)

Logan
12-29-2001, 09:55 PM
Thanks everyone. The saddest thing is that I had to leave Miss Honey Bunches for a couple of days. But I left her in the good hands of my faithful neighbor, and the petsitter, so she was well cared for. Today, upon returning home, I see no limp....but she has been lying in the bed with sick Helen (who seems to have the flu) so she hasn't been moving around too much. I'm watching her closely....
I'll let you know how she is in a couple of days, but I think she will be fine.
Thanks again.
Logan

lizbud
12-30-2001, 11:46 AM
Best wishes & prayers for Honey,Lolly,
Cody & Perry. Hope all these sweet furkids
are feeling better now ! Bud & I send you
all many hugs & get well kisses. Liz

tatsxxx11
12-30-2001, 03:17 PM
I've heard that all of the forementioned pupsters are doing better! Now, no more hurties, ouchies, pukies or limpies for a while! Honey, Perry, Lolly and Cody, we love you!!

ktreva52
01-01-2002, 01:03 AM
I hope all the "gimpy" furkids get better fast. Sometimes the 'cooler' weather will make the muscles not respond as readily as warmer muscles and they get owied quicker. Hugs and kisses to all and may 2002 (the pallandrome year) be a year of excellent health for all. Happy New Year! :D

Dixieland Dancer
01-01-2002, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by Logan:
<STRONG>Thanks everyone. The saddest thing is that I had to leave Miss Honey Bunches for a couple of days. But I left her in the good hands of my faithful neighbor, and the petsitter, so she was well cared for. Today, upon returning home, I see no limp....but she has been lying in the bed with sick Helen (who seems to have the flu) so she hasn't been moving around too much. I'm watching her closely....
I'll let you know how she is in a couple of days, but I think she will be fine.
Thanks again.
Logan</STRONG>

Logan,
This is just like a Golden to stay right by your side when your not feeling well. I went to the hospital for a Thalium stress test last week and had a reaction to the injected dye. I came home and was in bed with ice packs on my head and the whole nine yards and both Dixie and Dusty never left my side. It is just the most wonderful feeling to know how much they love you and want to be with you to take care of you!

I hope Helen is feeling better and glad to hear Honey's limp is gone.