PDA

View Full Version : BYB's?

binka_nugget
10-03-2003, 08:46 PM
Take a look at this site http://designerdogs.ca/

I found the ad in the paper and thought that was a stupid name for a site. I automatically thought byb because it sounds as if they breed for looks.

I saw signs of some responsibility, neutering contract, and other things as well. On the ad, they mentioned that they specialize in hypoallergenic pups. So, what's your take on this? Even if they only do this to provide dogs to people with allergies, what's your opinion?

Shelteez2
10-03-2003, 11:09 PM
BYB through and through IMO.

They purposely breed mixed breeds and that is something that I don't believe in.
I don't have anything against mixed breeds, I just don't think they should be purposely bred for.

Twisterdog
10-03-2003, 11:19 PM
With their size varying depending on the cross, they can range from smaller than a Wheaten, approximately 25 lbs., to somewhat larger, up to 57 lbs.

That was about 'nuff said for me, right there. :mad:

Why would you want to cross your Wheaten terrier with other dogs, call the puppies "Designer Dogs" and sell them via the internet? To further the future of the Wheaten terrier strain? Please. To make a buck and amuse yourself? Yep. That is the quintessential definition of a BYB right there ... intentionally creating cross breed or mixed breed puppies.

There is no such thing as a truly "hypo-allergenic" dog. Some dogs are far better for allergy sufferers than others, but NO dog is hypo-allergenic. There are already many purebred dogs that meet the requirements of allergy sufferers ... bishons, poodles, maltese, etc. Why "create" another "hypo-allergenic" mutt? To make a buck and amuse yourself? Yep.

You know ... if dogs were rare, on the verge of extinction, and there was a year long waiting list to get one with every breeder getting to pick the best home for each puppy from a long list of applicants ... then I would not have such a problem with this. I wonder if the "Designer Dog" people have toured a shelter lately? I wonder if they have had to shove dogs into a room and turn on the gas, and watch them all die? I wonder if they'd had to give lethal injections to litter after litter after litter of cute mixed breed puppies, because there are simply too many dogs and not enough homes? Hmmmm ... doubtful. If they did, maybe they wouldn't be producing more and more and more intentionally crossed mixed breed dogs ... when thousands die every day in shelters.

Sorry ... if it walks like a duck ....

Shelteez2
10-03-2003, 11:22 PM
Try signing on again please *S*

luckies4me
10-03-2003, 11:29 PM
I don't agree with what they are doing, but at least it looks like they are well cared for........although, you can't believe everything you see on the internet. :(

luckies4me
10-03-2003, 11:36 PM
a way for us to thank our Designer Dog owners for taking the time to answer peoples question about our dogs, and passing along our web site address and phone number.
When someone adds a Designer Dog to their family because of your help, we'll send you a cheque for $25 and a gourmet treat for your dog.
Making it even more rewarding than ever to own a Designer Dog.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

binka_nugget
10-03-2003, 11:38 PM
I agree. My instincts told me BYB right away and I'm sticking with my instinct. Now, I'm against it not only because they didn't have homes waiting and had to turn to the newspaper and internet but because of the mix like you guys have mentioned. I only stick by breeders who breed purebreds to keep the breed in tip-top shape according to the breed standard. Breeding mixes on the other hand, there's just no reason for.

luckies4me
10-03-2003, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by binka_nugget
I agree. My instincts told me BYB right away and I'm sticking with my instinct. Now, I'm against it not only because they didn't have homes waiting and had to turn to the newspaper and internet but because of the mix like you guys have mentioned. I only stick by breeders who breed purebreds to keep the breed in tip-top shape according to the breed standard. Breeding mixes on the other hand, there's just no reason for.

A lot of great breeders advertise through the internet. I breed rats, and my website is a great way for other breeders and prospective owners to see the rats in my breeding program, the babies they have produced and their pedigrees. Almost all of my sales are through the internet or paper. That is how I advertise, and that is why most of my babies are reserved BEFORE they are born. Ones that I cannot find homes for (which is almost never) stay here with me until they find a new home, or pass on.

Anyone who breeds responsibly should only breed to improve the line or breed, and have at least a basic understanding of genetics.

binka_nugget
10-03-2003, 11:50 PM
I meant that the way they're selling their animals just doesn't cut it for me. I know lots of breeders who advertise through the internet and newspaper. I'm fine with that because they'd have to advertise some way but in my world, responsible breeders don't rely on just the internet and newspaper alone. I'd expect any responsible breeder to also talk to potential buyers at shows.

And also, the info on the site bothers me.
"November 11, 03 Cockapoo X Mini Poodle.
November 15, 03 Wheaten Shnoodle X Standard Poodle.
November 21, 03 Shnoodle X Standard Poodle."

Breeding mixes is the first sign of bad news and also, litters only a few days apart?!?! :mad:

Shelteez2
10-03-2003, 11:52 PM
Now, I'm against it not only because they didn't have homes waiting and had to turn to the newspaper and internet ....

Well if they had a waiting list to account for the ammount of puppies they're expecting then I'm sure half of BC would have a "designer dog" now.

luckies4me
10-03-2003, 11:54 PM
I meant that the way they're selling their animals just doesn't cut it for me. I know lots of breeders who advertise through the internet and newspaper. I'm fine with that because they'd have to advertise some way but in my world, responsible breeders don't rely on just the internet and newspaper alone. I'd expect any responsible breeder to also talk to potential buyers at shows.

And also, the info on the site bothers me.
"November 11, 03 Cockapoo X Mini Poodle.
November 15, 03 Wheaten Shnoodle X Standard Poodle.
November 21, 03 Shnoodle X Standard Poodle."

Breeding mixes is the first sign of bad news and also, litters only a few days apart?!?! :mad:

I know. I do not understand why they have to mix all those dogs? I didn't notice the dates though!

With my rats, a lot of it is word of mouth. I have THREE people coming over tomorrow to looks at the parents to future litters. :eek: I have to much demand there is no way for me to breed that much. I just placed three of my baby bucks to a great pet home last Saturday, and I can't tell you what a great feeling it is to have your babies go to a loving home. :)

I also have business cards and flyers that get handed out at shows, but most people end up getting my number from family members or friends.

binka_nugget
10-03-2003, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Shelteez2
Well if they had a waiting list to account for the ammount of puppies they're expecting then I'm sure half of BC would have a "designer dog" now.

EXACTLY! Another sign that they're bad news...way too many litters.

luckies4me
10-03-2003, 11:56 PM
EXACTLY! Another sign that they're bad news...way too many litters.

That's how they make money. It's all for the money. :(

binka_nugget
10-04-2003, 12:00 AM
:mad: If I had a way to get to Langley, I'd go there myself and shove my foot up their royal behind. (*excuse the language)

cloverfdx
10-04-2003, 10:12 AM
Definatly BYB :( it is very sad what some so called "humans" will do to make some money.

there is place in Melbourne, Victoria who breed "designer dogs" it is discusting but as the dogs are reasonably well cared for animal welfare cannot do a thing about closing them down
here is their link http://www.acabreederskennels.com.au/

Cincy'sMom
10-04-2003, 11:13 AM
I don't know if this is directly related to that website or not, or if it is even true ( Ihave not researched it myself), but last night at our Therapy Dog Meeting, a friend told me the guy who makes "Charlee Bear" Treats is trying to find a Wheaton to crossbreed his Portugese Water Dog with to start his own line or breed of dog.

I would like to find out for sure if this is true, because if it is, I'm not sure I will buy his products anymore.

Soledad
10-04-2003, 01:22 PM
What does BYB mean?:o

Kfamr
10-04-2003, 01:26 PM
Backyard Breeder

cali
10-15-2003, 02:49 PM
I dont know, I have nothin against breeding mixed breeds, blue ceder kennels breeds border jacks and other such dogs for flyball, and I think its a great kennle, just about every dog person on the net though considers ANYONE who would dare breed a mixed breeds is a BYB and I definatly do not agree nor does anyone in my family.

tikeyas_mom
10-15-2003, 02:56 PM
I am sorry cali but that is rediculas, BYB are horrid, no matter what they should not just breed two DIFFERENT KINDS OF dogs for a demand of a certin mix, ugh !!! thats sick..

Twisterdog
10-15-2003, 03:07 PM
I dont know, I have nothin against breeding mixed breeds, blue ceder kennels breeds border jacks and other such dogs for flyball, and I think its a great kennle, just about every dog person on the net though considers ANYONE who would dare breed a mixed breeds is a BYB and I definatly do not agree nor does anyone in my family.

So, have you and your family volunteered at an animal shelter, animal control or humane society lately? Apparently not, or your attitude would change pronto. Let me fill you in ... ever given litter after litter of mixed breed puppies lethal injections and put their little dead bodies in garbage bags and thrown them in the dumpster? And why? Because some idiot bred mixed breeds, when there are not enough homes for them all. Ever backed a truck up, connected a hose to the exhaust and gassed a whole room full of crying, screaming dogs to death? Animal control in my county does it every day. Why? Because some idiot bred mixed breed dogs, when there are not enoght homes for them all. I could on and on and on, I have been volunteering at animals shelters for almost two decades now. Anyone who thinks breeding mixed breeds on purpose is a swell, harmless little thing to do needs a serious reality check ... starting with the back room of your local shelter.

And ... border jacks ... PUL-leeze! Don't get me started. Border collie people AND Parson Russell people are both APPALLED by this. The only people who don't think it is an atrocity are a few manic, rabid agility people who have turned a formerly fun hobby with your dog into an obsession, and an excuse to breed hyper, manic mutts, the majority of which die in shelters because few people can handle them. Border jacks are one of the most horrid ideas the idiots breeding mixed breeds have ever come up with.

am sorry cali but that is rediculas, bYB are horrid, no matter what they should not just breed two dog for demand of the breeds being mixed. ugh !!! thats sick..

Thank you, Tikeyas Mom, that is exactly how I feel as well. Well said.

2kitties
10-15-2003, 03:16 PM
BYB is bad in ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM. There is no such thing as responsible mixed breeding. It is merely money hungriness. Spend 10 minutes in the shelter of your choice and see the homeless animals put to death every day.
I can't even imagine how anyone would do this or agree with this.

Sorry if anyone's feelings are hurt. But this is something for which there is no gray area.

Twisterdog
10-15-2003, 05:42 PM
BYB is bad in ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM. There is no such thing as responsible mixed breeding. It is merely money hungriness. Spend 10 minutes in the shelter of your choice and see the homeless animals put to death every day. I can't even imagine how anyone would do this or agree with this.

Excellent post, 2 kitties. I very much agree with you.

cali
10-15-2003, 07:27 PM
our club happens to HAVE a border jack. ALL the BEST teams HAVE border jacks, not one person who knows what they are doing will sell a border jack to ANYONE who they do not know personaly, and its part of the contract they they MUST play flyball or agility with that dog, or give it back to the club. out clubs border jack is sweet and gentil, what breeding a border to a jack does is create a jack with an off switch. I agree that an inexperienced person should never ever own, or breed border jacks, most flyball clubs do know what they are doing, and do know just how high drive a BJ is. we will turn away anyone who we dont deem prepared for one of these dogs. they are also in extremly high demand amongst flyball people.

as for the shelter, no I have not volenteered there yet, however you have NEVER been to our shelter, with rarly ever has more then 4 dogs, who are all adopted VERY quikley, when dogs are adopted that fast around here, wich ones are going to be put to sleep? huh? they have a copasity of a LEAST a hundred, and they rarly have more then 4, they are adopted very quikly, even the rich folks get their dogs from the shelter. its extremly rare to see a stary dog wandering the street, we have no tatally fenced areas so everyone trains their dogs, we have 4 dog sport clubs in a small city, one with over 30 members. we also have at least 15 training halls other then the ones belonging to the sporting
groups etc.... get the idea?? not everywhere is as crowded as you may like to think it is. yes we do breed mixes, we also do research, my mom for example traced blairs entire family tree of genetics just to figer out his colour:eek: a LOT of people are like that around here, we dont just grab any two dogs and breed them. out club also advertises the few shelter dogs there are, and we do training for people who adopt from the shelter, so no we are not cluless.:rolleyes:

cali
10-15-2003, 07:30 PM
oh yes I forgot our club also fosters dogs from other places we pick them up on the way back from a touniment, and foster them until we can find homes for them.

Twisterdog
10-15-2003, 10:32 PM
our club happens to HAVE a border jack. ALL the BEST teams HAVE border jacks, not one person who knows what they are doing will sell a border jack to ANYONE who they do not know personaly, and its part of the contract they they MUST play flyball or agility with that dog, or give it back to the club. out clubs border jack is sweet and gentil, what breeding a border to a jack does is create a jack with an off switch. I agree that an inexperienced person should never ever own, or breed border jacks, most flyball clubs do know what they are doing, and do know just how high drive a BJ is. we will turn away anyone who we dont deem prepared for one of these dogs. they are also in extremly high demand amongst flyball people

Well, that's YOUR club. If EVERY club did that, then I suppose border jacks would not be such an issue as they are now. There are obvioulsy people out there breeding border jacks who do NOT do these things, because there are a lot of these dogs that end up in shelters and pounds, a disproportionate amount. I rescue Parson Russell terriers, I see first hand how many die at animal controls. The ONLY people in the dog fancy who think it is ok to intentionally create these mutts are certain agility/flyball people. The rest think it's an atrocity. Sorry, but that's how it is.

however you have NEVER been to our shelter, with rarly ever has more then 4 dogs, who are all adopted VERY quikley,

Well, that's great ... but it's without a doubt the exception, not the rule. Do some research, and you will see the average number of dogs euthanized in this country daily. It is appalling. Just because YOUR shelter is small, doesn't mean there isn't a pet overpopulation problem in the country.

GoldenRetrLuver
10-15-2003, 10:40 PM
Amen Twisterdog. I agree with you 100%.

cali
10-15-2003, 10:44 PM
of you look you will see that I am not in your country, and out shelter is not that small, when I said small I was comparing it to places like saskatoon and calgary.

Well, that's YOUR club. If EVERY club did that, then I suppose border jacks would not be such an issue as they are now. There are obvioulsy people out there breeding border jacks who do NOT do these things, because there are a lot of these dogs that end up in shelters and pounds, a disproportionate amount. I rescue Parson Russell terriers, I see first hand how many die at animal controls. The ONLY people in the dog fancy who think it is ok to intentionally create these mutts are certain agility/flyball people. The rest think it's an atrocity. Sorry, but that's how it is.

no that is not OUR club I said our club had a BJ I did not say we bred them. I know hundreds of clubs and everyone one of them has these terms. yes there are BYBs breeding BJs and that is horrable and should be stopped, we do not let our BJ go to unsuspecting people. obviosly I dont agree with people who dont know what they are doing. and I know our shelter is an exeption but as I said it is most certainly NOT small, however there is not a whole darn lot I can do about dog in shelters thousands of miles away now is there? when we travel we do foster dogs as I said, we do help out other shelters, and we have ads of dogs not just in out shelter but we work with shelters where it IS a problem, and we help them out. I was just saying that you cannot assume that ALL shelters are over run with dogs, when that is simply not true. at our shelter people race to fill out the adoption forms for a particular dog first believe me we dont have a problem, that is why we help out shelters who are less fortinate.

Kfamr
10-15-2003, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by GoldenRetrLuver
Amen Twisterdog. I agree with you 100%.

Ditto.

Twisterdog
10-15-2003, 11:04 PM
of you look you will see that I am not in your country

I see that. However, Canada also has a problem with pet overpopulation and BYB's. Here is a link supporting this, if you would like to see the very real problems caused by BYB's, that your country is facing as well.

http://www.nopuppymillscanada.ca/back_yard_breeders.htm

And, the fact of the matter is and will always be - too many dogs, not enough homes. Everyone that breeds mixed breed dogs has some excuse and justification. We've heard them all by now. Whether it is "the miracle of birth" excuse, the "found homes fo them all" excuse, the "hypoallergenic" excuse, or the "better agility/flyball dog" excuse .... the fact remains ... too many dogs, not enough homes, dogs die. There is NO justification for intentionally breeding mixed breeds, when million die every year.

The estimated number of dogs and cats who are euthanized in shelters in the USA alone ranges from 5 million to 12 million annually. This figure, of course, does not include the millions of animals who die on the street before making it to a shelter. There is no debate about the reason these animals die – there simply are not enough homes for them - too many born, not enough homes, too many die. That is inexcusable and non-justifiable. We are supposed to be the intelligent species on the planet ... why can't we seem to comprehend that? 20 million dogs born, 10 million homes ... 10 million dogs die. Simple math. Stop breeding so many, and so many don't have to die. Duh.

wolf_Q
10-15-2003, 11:11 PM
I also agree with Twisterdog--great post!

2kitties
10-16-2003, 09:47 AM
amen to twisterdog.

There are hundreds of breeds of dogs already. There are millions of mixes put to death already. Therefore, there is no need to make more mixes. And if you can't find what you're looking for in one of the hundreds of breeds we already have, then you're too damn picky and don't need a dog in the first place.

Twisterdog
10-16-2003, 11:12 PM
There are hundreds of breeds of dogs already. There are millions of mixes put to death already. Therefore, there is no need to make more mixes. And if you can't find what you're looking for in one of the hundreds of breeds we already have, then you're too damn picky and don't need a dog in the first place.

Amen to 2kitties!! :D