PDA

View Full Version : Canada and US --- combined??

wolfsoul
10-03-2003, 06:03 PM
In my socials class, we have frequently been talking about an issue that has been around for quite some time --- Canada and the United States joining.

I'm sure we hear stereotypes about eachothers' countries all the time that cause us to dislike eachother. Canada hears about the terrible weapons and power that the states have and how they always say "huh," and the states hear about how dumb Canadians are and how they always say "eh."

But most have to admit that it would be a fairly smart decision when it comes to our economy and such. Think about it -- we'd have the most powerful country in the world! The US has the money, and Canada has the resources.

But does the good outweigh the bad? Some Canadians --including me -- are worried that it would cause the other countries to turn on us. We hear horror stories all the time about how US citizens are attacked outside of their country for being...a US citizen. And we hear that that is why most US people pretend that they are Canadian when they go on Vacation outside the country. And not only that, but statistics say that the US is the most hated country around the world. :(

What do you think? Do you think that it would be better is the US and Canada joined, or should things stay this way, and why? It's just something I've been thinking alot about lately. :)

RubyMutt
10-03-2003, 08:15 PM
Well, I for one, would LOVE to have the Canadian health care system!
My cousin was in a car accident in BC a few months ago and ended up having to spend a few weeks in a Canadian hospital. He was amazed that his stay was completely FREE! :eek: I want that!
And I must say I'd like to have the drinking age be 19. I do not think it's fair that I can go to war and die for my country, but I cannot buy a bottle of wine to make my favorite peach soup!
As for the US and Canada combining... I just don't know. I love going up to Canada and spending a few hours, days, or weeks there. I go up at least a few times a year. It's funny that in only a short drive I'm suddenly in a foreign country! Even though it's not much different than home :o
And since Canada is part of the Parliament, wouldn't that be a little hard to work out? I guess we're fine the way we are (except for the US's bogus health care :mad: )

binka_nugget
10-03-2003, 08:34 PM
Annexation? Naw

Don't get me wrong, I love America. But there are just some things that I don't want canada to lose. It could work but bush seems to love war or something. Maybe one day..but right now, I don't think we're ready.

babolaypo65
10-03-2003, 08:53 PM
I'm American (and travel to Canada a lot). Why exactly would Canada WANT to join the U.S.???? I can see why some americans would want to "annex" them, but thats a whole other issue. To "annex" them makes them US (not U.S., but US). No one has really, rationally discussed the United States and Canada joining to create a NEW place that has some of each. in theory the best of each. The discussion in the U.S. is always to ADD canada to US. Meaning more U.S., not a "different" U.S.....

Run Canada, Run. ;)

A devils advocate question: why is it never the idea to annex the U.S. into Canada????

Cataholic
10-03-2003, 08:54 PM
I have never really been aware of much animosity between the US and Canada. In fact, I thought it was one of the countries we generally were at peace with, always.

As to the health system....I must have misunderstood something, somewhere. I was under the impression that the majority of Canadians favored the US's sort of health system over their own.....I am not being sarcastic...really, this is what I thought.

And as for annexation, I wasn't aware anyone really thought this would happen.....

RubyMutt
10-03-2003, 09:08 PM
Here's a few articles comparing the US and Canadian healthcare systems. I don't mean to change the subject of the thread, I just thought they were informative.

http://abilitymagazine.com/news_CanadianHealthCare.html

http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/233/business/Journal_reflects_rift_on_universal_healthcare+.sht ml

http://www.nutritionreallyworks.com/JAMA.html

babolaypo65
10-03-2003, 09:12 PM
Cat, I missed the animosity. what did i miss? Did I not read a post well? (hey thats been known to happen!) Or was it something unintended in my own post? its not what i intended.
I personally dont see the relationship as one characterized by animosity. Perhaps slightly a different sense of self, of country, of place, but not animosity.
I guess for me, why combine? Two countries that are separate and distinct, each with pluses and minuses...

Originally posted by Cataholic
I have never really been aware of much animosity between the US and Canada. In fact, I thought it was one of the countries we generally were at peace with, always.

As to the health system....I must have misunderstood something, somewhere. I was under the impression that the majority of Canadians favored the US's sort of health system over their own.....I am not being sarcastic...really, this is what I thought.

And as for annexation, I wasn't aware anyone really thought this would happen.....

wolfsoul
10-03-2003, 09:12 PM

Not in the war of 1812. We kicked yer butts. ;) :p lol

I think that we act fairly peaceful towards eachother. But I also think that most would be surprised by the things I hear people say, and the things I see on TV. :eek:

And since Canada is part of the Parliament, wouldn't that be a little hard to work out?
Yeah, that's a big issue there lol. We don't have a president, we have a prime minister. We also don't believe in manifest destiny. And we have english AND french for our main lanuages. Hehe, I have to look at french and english labels on my cereal box.

RubyMutt
10-03-2003, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
And we have english AND french for our main lanuages. Hehe, I have to look at french and english labels on my cereal box.

LOL, I love that about Canada! I actually have a can of Five Alive soda in my fridge that I bought in Canada like 3 years ago. I like the French writing on it. I'm such a dork :p

Cataholic
10-03-2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by babolaypo65
Cat, I missed the animosity. what did i miss? Did I not read a post well? (hey thats been known to happen!) Or was it something unintended in my own post? its not what i intended.
I personally dont see the relationship as one characterized by animosity. Perhaps slightly a different sense of self, of country, of place, but not animosity.
I guess for me, why combine? Two countries that are separate and distinct, each with pluses and minuses...

No, I was saying that I didn't think there was much animosity between the countries, not the posts..he he he. I realize, as an American, I see things largely intended for the American people, and maybe it is propaganda. In Wolfsoul's second paragraph...I didn't know those bunch of ice cube headed northernly people were kickin' dirt on us.

The war of 1812? Would you people get over that, puh-leeze?:D

Rubymutt- I skimmed a couple of those articles...it seems clear from the articles that the american health system costs more per capita...but, I mean what about the healthcare part....not that the money spent isn't significant, but, I mean...is the choice of care as it is in the US? Is the type of care the same? I complain about my chest hurting, and I go get a scan done...without much issue (slight exaggeration)...what do you know about that? I thought I heard people came across the border (where they should be shot he he he) to get care in the US?

binka_nugget
10-03-2003, 09:21 PM
Lol I still have a pepsione from our visit to bellingham. I don't know why I saved it..

babolaypo65
10-03-2003, 09:25 PM
Thanks Cat, guess I was just reading too much into tense (Im such a nerd!) I was reading it as a false belief, ie that "I DIDNT think there was animosity but I do now"
, or "I DIDN't thing there was animosity but maybe was wrong."

as opposed to a simple: no animosity.
duh
my bad!

thanks!

its funny, Im american. I like both countries. part of what i like is the difference. I'd hate to see them combine. I think the best of each (mostly canada) would be lost. We tend to be the Alpha country, if you will, evidenced by the whole English as a world language...etc. not saying thats bad, just... reality, in my opinion...

Cataholic
10-03-2003, 09:31 PM
Bab...no, I think your initial thought was right. I was saying more along the lines of, "I didn't think there was much animosity between the countries, and am I that thickheaded to have missed it"? Like thinking outloud, "Is there animosity between the US and Canada, I wasn't really aware of that concept".

IS THERE? Does Canada, like the rest of the world, hate us, too? If you do, tell me now...and I will start making fun of you guys...like I do the rest of the world! :D

wolfsoul
10-03-2003, 09:32 PM

its funny, Im american. I like both countries. part of what i like is the difference. I'd hate to see them combine. I think the best of each (mostly canada) would be lost. We tend to be the Alpha country, if you will, evidenced by the whole English as a world language...etc. not saying thats bad, just... reality, in my opinion...
It's true, the US is moreso that Alpha country, and Canadians totally resent this. :o We feel that we give so much and aren't getting enough in return. However, BC gets more from the US than Canada, which is why we are thinking of going into the US alone. We have the best resoucres of any place in Canada, and nobody really appreciates it lol.

But I still don't think it's a good idea to join with the US...

I shall quote my socials teacher...."We would have been really smart to join the US from the start. Now nobody will want to. They've got terrorists and whatever else runnin' around down there." LOL I thought it was so funny how he said that..Yeah, like they just let the terrorists in :rolleyes:

But I have to admit that the terrorist thing is really scary....Another of my reasons to not join the US...No offense, it just seems like everybody loves Canada, it's so peaceful, good place to live, blah blah blah...and then the US is looked upon..well, not so good. :( Kinda scares me..

wolfsoul
10-03-2003, 09:36 PM

IS THERE? Does Canada, like the rest of the world, hate us, too? If you do, tell me now...and I will start making fun of you guys...like I do the rest of the world! :D
Hahaha I don't hate the US!! But Canada in general seems to...hum.

If you make fun of us, I shall make fun of you! :D LOL.

We won the waaar, we won the waaar ;) :p

Cataholic
10-03-2003, 09:38 PM
It's true, the US is moreso that Alpha country, and Canadians totally resent this. :o We feel that we give so much and aren't getting enough in return.

What are you TALKING about?!?! We gave you half of that water fall thing, didn't we????:D

babolaypo65
10-03-2003, 09:40 PM
Yeah, but they pay their water fall electric bill regularly. Last time I was there the light show was only on "their" side because we hadn't paid the bill!:D

RubyMutt
10-03-2003, 09:42 PM
I think what irritates me the most is that insurance corporations have so much control over what happens with health care.

As a person who doesn't get a huge income that insurance cost coming out of my paycheck every two weeks is a big deal. My boyfriend went uninsured for months because he couldn't afford health care. During that period of time he did actually need it, but there was no way he could afford a doctor appointment. To me, that is a huge deal.

Also, his grandmother was recently diagnosed with cancer. After over a MONTH of dealing with her insurance company they finally gave her their approval to go ahead with the surgery. A MONTH! The woman had cancer! That is upsetting to me.

Yes, the quality of healthcare is good in the US, I don't deny that. I just don't like how you have to be rich to reap the benefits.

babolaypo65
10-03-2003, 09:56 PM
Hey wolfsoul, thanks for posting this. I love hearing what folks are studying in school!:)

wolfsoul
10-03-2003, 10:21 PM
Hey wolfsoul, thanks for posting this. I love hearing what folks are studying in school!:)
No problem. :) I was afraid that I had started a world of controversy, and so I'm glad that we are poking fun at it! :D

Pssst -- water fall thingy?? LOL. No idea what you're talking about. :o

popcornbird
10-04-2003, 12:32 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek: You mean, we should become bigger than we already are? :eek: WAAAAAAAAAAAY bigger? AN ENTIRE CONTINENT AS ONE COUNTRY?!?! :eek: No no no. I think its just fine the way it is. :p :p

Ps. No, the health system in the US is NOT good enough *in my opinion*. Definitely better than many countries, but I think Canada is better than us in this. My friend's dad has been jobless for 2 years now :(, and they have NO health insurance. How sad is that? People with jobs, making good money get to go to the docs for free (insurance provided by the company), and the poor people without jobs have to pay for it when they have no income. That's sad, and I think we need a major improvement in this issue. Canada is much better in that issue........I think.........

Cataholic
10-04-2003, 08:14 AM

Pssst -- water fall thingy?? LOL. No idea what you're talking about. :o

LOL..you are in BC, I take it? Niagra Falls! A wonderful vacation spot!

wolfsoul
10-04-2003, 09:44 AM
LOL..you are in BC, I take it? Niagra Falls! A wonderful vacation spot!
Ahhh Niagra Falls lol :o Yup, I'm in BC! :D

I have no idea about Canada's health system lol. The hospitals are beginning to get annoying, only because you are now only allowed to stay for a few days at the most. When my mom was recovering from her C-section with me, she stayed in the hospital for two weeks. 11 years later when she had a C-section with my brother, she was only allowed to stay there for two days! :eek: And the nurse complaints are enough to drive you nuts. People aren't even shocked anymore when they here that the nurses are on strike....for the hundredth time.

Crikit
10-04-2003, 10:36 AM
Personally I wouldn't like it, I like being able to say I am Canadian and bug all you Americans about my igloo melting and my dog sled breaking down ;) :D

True I live in Alberta where for some stupid reason our Government is trying to become the next Qubec we don't all feel that way only our stupid preimer and some others. Besides if we feel left out and used by the rest of Canada now what would happen with a bigger country?

However I sometimes think it would be funny if Canada annexed the states. I can see it now the national sport would be lacrosse (which despite what people think is actually our national sport here) though everyone would know it's actually hockey, the NFL would have to play CFL rules and play for the Gray Cup and we'd be one great big member of the commonwealth, would Americans really want to learn the worlds to God Save the Queen?

And just what would our national anthem be?

Would we have a Prime Minister or President, and the Governer General who would that be?

Would we rename our country so it's one big combo of the two, you know something like Dominian of United Canada? DUC for short....in case there's confusion of the Dominian part Canada's official name is actually the Dominian of Canada but we're all to lazy and only call it Canada.

Now I'm just going wacky, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I like things the way they are, well okay not exactly the way they are, I wouldn't mind if Americans knew a bit more about Canada...that would also be for their own good that way they wouldn't be embarassed when Rick Mercer talks to Americans...and perhaps a common currency or something much like the euro. But overall I like the serparate countries because no matter how much stuff that the two countries share there are somethings that we don't, things that are part of what makes our countries. If we were to combine those things could be lost.

I read once a letter to Amercia from one of Canada's most prolific writers, she wrote it just after the war on terrorism started, if i remember correctly she compared the two countries as the Star quarterback and the girl next door or something like that. Personally I'm happy to be the girl next door, just as long as the quarterback doesn't drop the ball. :D

wolfsoul
10-04-2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Crikit
Personally I wouldn't like it, I like being able to say I am Canadian and bug all you Americans about my igloo melting and my dog sled breaking down ;) :D
And those darn seals keep getting into my supplies. I haven't caught a walrus in days! ;) :p

Aspen and Misty
10-04-2003, 11:35 AM
Ahhh Niagra Falls lol :o Yup, I'm in BC! :D

Do you live far from the Falls???? We don't live that far from there (about 4 hours). I hear a PT meeting call our name :p

But I have to admit that the terrorist thing is really scary....Another of my reasons to not join the US...No offense, it just seems like everybody loves Canada, it's so peaceful, good place to live, blah blah blah...and then the US is looked upon..well, not so good. :( Kinda scares me..

I find that alot of the world views americans as people who don't go out in the night time because of terriost or that our lives are always in danger because you never know where ou might get killed, LOL. I walk down my streets at Midnight all the time. And I live next to the "Ghetto" where all our scary people live ;) LOL. I once was walking down the street and a man aproached me a big man, I ws really scared because umm, it's about 11:00 , no one else is out and a man, a really big man, was aproaching me. He came up to me and said "Miss, are you lost?" "I said "no" and he said "Well you shouldn't be walking around by yourself, you never know who is out here" I said "Thank you" and kept walking. He was in-fact a very nice man. :) Most people in the U.S.A are like this. You walk by, they'll say Hi. Most people I've met are more then willing ot talk to you. The US honestly is not as scary as you think. And people are not dieing left and right because of terriest attacks.

Ash

Cataholic
10-04-2003, 11:48 AM
Personally I'm happy to be the girl next door, just as long as the quarterback doesn't drop the ball. :D

Ain't that the truth! The best way to attack Canada is through the US! And, when the troops start a'crawlin'....I am pointing them towards the waterfall! HEHEHEHE....

wolfsoul
10-04-2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Aspen and Misty
Do you live far from the Falls???? We don't live that far from there (about 4 hours). I hear a PT meeting call our name :p

LOL, nope, I'm faaar far away. :( 4 provinces away to be exact lol.

And, when the troops start a'crawlin'....I am pointing them towards the waterfall! HEHEHEHE....
LOL! That's okay, I'm way over here in BC, so ya can't get meee!! :D

babolaypo65
10-04-2003, 12:20 PM
Aspen and Misty:

The falls from B.C.:

BC is above Washington State. Niagra falls (the Canadian side) is above New York. So basically wolf is as far as Washington to New York.

Russian Blue
10-04-2003, 02:14 PM
I just wanted to pop in here and say I'm having a great time reading this thread! :D

I wouldn't want Canada to join the U.S. Our healthcare could use some improvements, but I think it's a better system than what is available in the U.S. We just need more intelligent policitians who can give money to the right areas without wasting it on the wrong.

Personally I wouldn't like it, I like being able to say I am Canadian and bug all you Americans about my igloo melting and my dog sled breaking down

Ditto! :p

Crikit
10-04-2003, 02:41 PM
Ain't that the truth! The best way to attack Canada is through the US! And, when the troops start a'crawlin'....I am pointing them towards the waterfall! HEHEHEHE....

Are you going to give them some barrels to? If they're dumb enough to try to envade either country they'd most likley be dumb enough to try riding them in a barrel as well.

babolaypo65
10-04-2003, 04:24 PM
It's true! and hey, if they combined we wouldnt be able to watch "talking to Americans" on This Hour... :D :D

wolfsoul
10-04-2003, 05:17 PM
Hehe, my friend actually goes on the net and tells people from Australia that Canadians live in igloos and hunt and eat walruses and that we use sled dogs and such.

It's so funny because they believe her! :D

Amber
10-04-2003, 05:36 PM
Hmm, as a American myself Im not sure if it would be a good thing to combine with Canada. Even though it would be interesting! But I like it the way it is. I never knew America was hated so much by others:(

Aspen and Misty
10-05-2003, 09:07 AM
Aspen and Misty:

The falls from B.C.:

BC is above Washington State. Niagra falls (the Canadian side) is above New York. So basically wolf is as far as Washington to New York.

Thank you :D

Ash