PDA

View Full Version : Iraqi brides not allowed in US

Soledad
10-03-2003, 04:06 PM
Two Florida guardsmen who married Iraqi women are having trouble getting their wives in the States and even seeing their wives. Details can be readhere (http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/news/special_packages/iraq/6926567.htm)

What do you think?

catland
10-03-2003, 04:12 PM
My husband's parents met and married during the occupation of Japan in the 1950's. So I guess I'm kind of biased because he wouldn't be here if they had been stopped. Of course in thier situation, this was during peacetime after the war was over.

I don't know what military regulations exist, if any, during a time like this. Also, my general mistrust of the media makes me believe that we're not getting the entire story.

Thanks for sharing the story, it should be interesting to follow.

babolaypo65
10-03-2003, 04:59 PM
I saw something on one of the news shows. If its close to accurate then I have to ask. Who is the enemy? I thought it was Sadam and his cronies? I thought we believed that we were liberating the Iraqis? Is the average Iraqi now our enemy?

dukedogsmom
10-03-2003, 07:01 PM
I can surely understand why they don't want to take any risks. How well can those men know those women, anyway? I agree with them not coming over. After it's been a while and settled down, maybe yes.

Uabassoon
10-03-2003, 07:11 PM
I can surely understand why they don't want to take any risks. How well can those men know those women, anyway? I agree with them not coming over. After it's been a while and settled down, maybe yes.

All I can say is..... Wow.

mugsy
10-03-2003, 07:18 PM
I kind of agree with catland.....what ISN'T the press putting in the article. I understand that they can be even court martialed for disobeying a direct order, but, if that order was not to get married was it a moral or legal request. If not (which I would think it wouldn't be) that it would never get to court martial. I do know that when Mike was in the Army and it came time to re-enlist, they said that he could only re-enlist if he divorced his then wife. He refused (which he kicks himself for on a regular basis ;) ) and he got out. Having a sister who is a military wife, I have heard the horror stories forever. I do love what the military does for us and that the members are willing to put their lives on the line for the good of the rest of us, but, I do think they go over the top on some issues, and this is one of them. Sometimes the senior officers seem to have a "God complex" when it comes to their men (and women).

babolaypo65
10-03-2003, 08:48 PM
WOW indeed.

Originally posted by Uabassoon
All I can say is..... Wow.

Soledad
10-03-2003, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by babolaypo65
WOW indeed.

What a great example to show Iraqis what freedom is, eh?
:rolleyes:

Karen
10-03-2003, 11:36 PM
I wonder what the whole story is, what we're not being told, etc. Not that I don't think people can be boneheaded about things, whether they're in the military or not ... I wonder what the truth is.

mugsy
10-04-2003, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by Karen
I wonder what the truth is.

Me too.

I just thought of something else the military says. They FIGHT for the freedom of America, but, they don't HAVE the freedoms of Americans. Mike said that he was always told that people in the military don't have the rights spelled out in the Bill of Rights.

dukedogsmom
10-04-2003, 10:42 PM
I'm sorry I offended everyone with my opinion. This is the dog house and I was posting my view on the subject. That is the purpose. I didn't shoot the others down because their opinion differed from mine.

carole
10-04-2003, 10:56 PM
This doe's not really affect me being in NZ, but dukedogsmom, I kinda agree with you, one can never be too careful, I know what the rest of you are saying as well, and they are valid points, but if it were my country I would be cautious.

Uabassoon
10-04-2003, 11:00 PM
To me this is the same type of mentality that happened during WW II when americans who had Japanese decendandts were sent to live in the concentration camps. Because they "didn't want to take any risks". Now keep in mind that I'm not comparing the situation I'm comparing the mentality. When you have a mentality like that what's the next step?

mugsy
10-04-2003, 11:09 PM
Honestly, no one can make an informed opinion on the matter based on one article. I am basing my opinion solely on what Mike has told me about how the military works.

I did not make a judgement on anyone's opinion because they are just that.....an opinion.

carole
10-04-2003, 11:15 PM
EXACTLY mugsy, I AGREE, my statement has been mis-understood, I am merely stating USA should be cautious
I am not saying they should not be allowed in.

I am sure there is more to this story than we are being told.

I guess I am just not a big risk taker in any area of my life is all.

babolaypo65
10-04-2003, 11:30 PM
You certainly didn't offend me with your opinion. My "wow" was just surprise.

Originally posted by dukedogsmom
I'm sorry I offended everyone with my opinion. This is the dog house and I was posting my view on the subject. That is the purpose. I didn't shoot the others down because their opinion differed from mine.

babolaypo65
10-04-2003, 11:49 PM
BTW I wholeheartedly agree that we do not know the whole story, and likely never will. And, so, our discussion is based on the media's take on things...

I also believe that some care should be given before simply allowing the women in. A thorough background check should suffice.

PS
I started to do some searching for more information, but happened upon a discussion group on the subject that was so racist and appalling I had to stop. (One person's main argument against marrying Iraqi women was their "hairy backs")

mugsy
10-04-2003, 11:58 PM
I hate stupid people. :mad: :rolleyes:

babolaypo65
10-05-2003, 09:13 AM
DITTO.

Originally posted by popcornbird
I have yet to meet an Iraqi women, or any Middle Eastern woman at that with ANY hair on their backs. :mad: :mad: :mad: How pathetic. :rolleyes: