PDA

View Full Version : Fleas

Pepper#1
06-28-2000, 03:16 AM
I need a remidy for flees on my dog. I know there are sprays out there and shampoos. My dog had a bad reaction to a common dog shampoo for fleas march of this year. He nearly died! I dont want to put chemicals on him and need to find a way to protect him from those pesky varmits. Can anyone tell me of a safe nontoxic flea spray that is out on the market???????

zippy-kat
06-28-2000, 03:37 AM
I've heard that yeast is a natural flea repelant. I don't know if it actually works, but it might be worth a shot.

Hi--sorry that I was vague. I was referring to the brewers yeast tablets. I've never given it to any of my critters so I really don't know a "dosage" or how long it would take to get rid of the problem.

[This message has been edited by zippy-kat (edited June 29, 2000).]

Pepper#1
06-28-2000, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by zippy-kat:
I've heard that yeast is a natural flea repelant. I don't know if it actually works, but it might be worth a shot.Thank you for your reply. Would you have any idea how to apply yeast. Would I dissolve yeast packet into water and apply?

Kate
06-28-2000, 09:40 PM
I think that she is referring to "brewer's yeast", which is a food supplement. A breeder friend of mine swears by it; however, it is not a quick fix. If you have fleas in your house and/or yard, you need to get rid of them there first. You'll have to spray and/or bomb. As far as your dog goes, if sensitive to flea control, try something with a pyrethrin base (comes from chrysanthemum plant). It's effective, but it is still a pesticide. I would suggest that you talk to your vet and see what they recommend. I use Advantage and have never seen a flea even though my yard is overrun with rabbits! Good luck!

Pepper#1
06-28-2000, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the reply. How long after the brewers yeast does it take effect on the dog???

Originally posted by Kate:
I think that she is referring to "brewer's yeast", which is a food supplement. A breeder friend of mine swears by it; however, it is not a quick fix. If you have fleas in your house and/or yard, you need to get rid of them there first. You'll have to spray and/or bomb. As far as your dog goes, if sensitive to flea control, try something with a pyrethrin base (comes from chrysanthemum plant). It's effective, but it is still a pesticide. I would suggest that you talk to your vet and see what they recommend. I use Advantage and have never seen a flea even though my yard is overrun with rabbits! Good luck!

06-28-2000, 10:07 PM
I use garlic tabs in the morning and evening, it doesn't affect their breath. When we have pizza put just pour some on their's and they gobble it up. I have had great results with this and would swer by it. Just the normal garlic tabs from a health food store.

Never tried the brewer's yeast so I can't comment, but I wish ya luck!

Pepper#1
06-28-2000, 10:12 PM
Thanks for this valuble advice.

Originally posted by Kaleigh-Gray & Kritters:
I use garlic tabs in the morning and evening, it doesn't affect their breath. When we have pizza put just pour some on their's and they gobble it up. I have had great results with this and would swer by it. Just the normal garlic tabs from a health food store.

Never tried the brewer's yeast so I can't comment, but I wish ya luck!

Dixieland Dancer
06-30-2000, 02:28 PM
I have not tried this but I read on the internet somewhere that a capful of cider vinegar in the dogs water is a natural flea deterent. I do not have problems with my dog being allergic so I use Frontline. This is a once a month product that also kills Ticks which are prevelent in our area.

If you have any questions the best place to start is with you vet. They can recommend products that should be hypoallergenic. If you don't get answers from them there is a ton of info on the net. Do a search on flea control. Good Luck.

Pepper#1
06-30-2000, 02:32 PM
thanks I talked to my vet he was unaware of any herbal stuff that works. He had never had this question put to him. Guess there is only one paranoid pet lover in my small town LOL \ thanks again

Originally posted by Dixieland Dancer:
I have not tried this but I read on the internet somewhere that a capful of cider vinegar in the dogs water is a natural flea deterent. I do not have problems with my dog being allergic so I use Frontline. This is a once a month product that also kills Ticks which are prevelent in our area.

If you have any questions the best place to start is with you vet. They can recommend products that should be hypoallergenic. If you don't get answers from them there is a ton of info on the net. Do a search on flea control. Good Luck.

a1lie
07-01-2000, 11:07 AM
hi...does all these natural remedies work for ticks as well because my boxer has a 'tick' problem

Pepper#1
07-01-2000, 11:26 AM
I use a small water bottle with Eucalyptis oil and it must be pure oil in the bottle. I get the oil at GNC and put 8-20 drops of it in the small spray bottle. We went camping last month and I used it on my dog and he did not get one tick. We used OFF on us and got several ticks. the oil is not harmful to dogs either. It smells strong when you first put it on but after that you can not smell it. It seems to work on ticks but not on fleas.

Originally posted by a1lie:
hi...does all these natural remedies work for ticks as well because my boxer has a 'tick' problem

Gevalia
01-29-2001, 02:57 PM
These have helped us: http://www.fleabuster.com/ http://www.nofleas.com
http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

*BaSim*
01-29-2001, 05:35 PM
I've used a natural oil call "tea tree oil" you can by tea tree oil shampoos and they sell tea tree oil at bet store to put in the shampoo you use.. it worked fro Simba because he had bad fleas then we used that and he doesn't have fleas anymore

Taylore
01-30-2001, 11:38 PM
Dear Pepper #1. I was thrilled to see the number of replies to your query about flea control that were suggesting natural approaches. I can absolutely swear by nutritional yeast as a flea repellant. I have used it on my many cats for over 25 years in areas that were absolutely infested with fleas. Even my vet, who poo-poo'd the idea at first, had to admit that my animals were flea-free when many of the others in her practice were suffering terribly - even those using chemical treatments. I am very leary about the chemical flea-shampoos having heard of kittens who were poisoned by the shampoos and could not be saved.

I sprinkle about 1 teaspoon of nutritional yeast (per meal per cat) over their food. You may want to try a little less at first until they acquire a taste for it - which they will! I've had cats who didn't want their food without it! We also use it for our Saint Bernard so the dosage is much increased for her! I give her up to 1/4 cup per day and she loves it. Depending on your area, and the size of your dog, you'll have to experiment with the quantity to find what is most effective for you.

What happens is that the nutritional yeast (engevita, flake or brewer's yeast, any good tasting, food quality yeast, best purchased at a health food store) changes the way your pet's blood smells or "tastes" to the fleas. They might jump on but they don't stay. In addition, yeast is very high in protein, B Vitamins and other nutrients, so it is a win-win solution. You'll have pets with soft glossy coats, shiny eyes and healthy skin underneath. The yeast is expensive, but I believe that top-rate nutrition will always pay for itself in your pet's happiness and lowered vet bills.

It's true that it is not an immediate solution and I agree with the others who have said that it's best to get rid of the fleas that you do have now (both in the house and on your pets) but I recommend starting your pets on the supplement now and once they and the environment are clear, they will stay flea-free. With diligence, and a good flea comb, you can remove a great many fleas (have a small bowl or glass of rubbing alcohol nearby - comb out the fleas and pop the comb in the alcohol before the fleas have a chance to struggle free & hop away.) You didn't mention your dog's breed but if it is a large or very furry animal you might consider shaving the fur very short (a buzz cut!) to reveal the fleas, and then just go after the little buggers with the flea comb! My experience has shown that once you are rid of them, the yeast will keep them away.

One neat trick for removing fleas from your house is to place a 2-inch piece of "flea collar" in your vacuum cleaner bag, vacuum your house to within an inch of its life (furniture too) and then close the bag securely (fleas and collar together) and dispose of outside the house immediately. Be sure to wash your hands well after handling the collar. Do this whenever you suspect fleas in your home - paying special attention to carpets and dry, dusty places where the eggs survive.

Whew! I sure didn't intend to go on and on about this but I'm feel strongly about helping to find natural and safe alternatives to perpetuating the "chemical soup" we live in! Good luck! I would love to hear how it goes for you.

------------------
love IS unconditional

Angels3
02-15-2001, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by Kaleigh-Gray & Kritters:
I use garlic tabs in the morning and evening, it doesn't affect their breath. I have had great results with this and would swer by it. Just the normal garlic tabs from a health food store.

We have a lass in our family who is a vet nurse & she always puts garlic in her own dogs' food...just as is described here.