PDA

View Full Version : can anyone tell me why....

a1lie
06-27-2000, 08:41 PM
i juz lost two of my dogs recently...a japanese spitz and a keeshond, n i realised they both passed away wiv the same symptoms which no one can tell me what was the cause: they seemed perfectly fine, but didn't have an appetite for 2 days before, and during their last seconds, they were convulsing and their tongue were white...i feel so broken inside...n i dun think i can have another dog anymore..if this is going to happen once more...would anyone by any chance know what my dogs died of...sniff

Dixieland Dancer
06-30-2000, 02:22 PM
I once had a beagle / dauchsund mix and she died of very similar symptoms. She was in a boat and thrown from one side to the other when it turned unexpectedly at a high rate of speed. She seemed fine at first but little did I know that she actually had internal damage to her kidneys. They started to shutdown and after a week I knew something was wrong. She lasted about 5 days after that with intrevenous fluids and hospital care.

Only your vet can truly say what was wrong and why your pups died. However, if you recall did anything happen to them during their last few weeks or so that could of caused internal damage?

As for getting another dog, my suggestion would be do it, do it, do it. There is a greater joy in loving a pup than worrying what might happen when you have one. I have had several since my episode and would not trade any of them for tons of gold.

a1lie
07-01-2000, 11:09 AM
thanx for the reply... =) abt them being ill or abnormal before they died....they were perfectly healthy n didn't show any signs n didn't have any accidents or stuff like dat...but thanks anyway....

Starlite
07-07-2000, 02:55 PM
Did you keep your dogs outside. Sounds like they could have be poisoned by something or someone. I had a similar case where one of my dogs where perfectly fine and the next minute they were doing the same thing. But we rushed him to the vet and he lived. I'm am so sorry to hear about your two puppies. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/frown.gif

------------------
*Starlite*

Ehler, Julie
07-09-2000, 12:30 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about the lose of your dogs. I also think that they may have been poisoned. There are a lot of sick people out there that would do something like that.
Sorry for your lose.

Jan
07-17-2000, 03:50 PM
I'm so sorry about your dogs. The same thing happend about 2 yrs ago to our Sasha. We rushed her to the vet who said she had been poisoned. As she was getting worse with treatment we took her to Texas A&M vet school to learn that the symptons were similar to being poisoned but it was a blood clotting defect. The vets said that they had been seeing alot of it but could not give us any explanation as to why. We too lost our girl. Several weeks ago we found another puppy - 1/2 rot 1/2 dob at a rescue league and would you believe her name was already Sasha. Like the other she is the joy of my life and keeps me laughing - especially when she takes her rubber toys into her little wading pool. Sure beat the heck out of her dropping them in the commode.

varnerjt
07-24-2000, 02:10 PM
I lost a schnouser the died with the same symptoms, and come to find out, he was diabetic. We didn't find this out until it wsa too late. This could have been the problem. Sorry ti hear about your loss.
Taffanie @--)---

ellensy
08-07-2000, 08:47 AM
I'm so sorry about your dogs. My first dog, a pomeranian, also died of the same symptoms. Vomiting out of nowhere...(vomit can either be whitish or yellowish). This is a sign of being POISONED. Things like insect sprays, floor wax, paint, etc.. can usually cause this to happen. My dog, Autumn, didn't survive her poisoning of the kidney. (Poisoning usually leads failure of kidney functioning)
You may have a-once-not-so-happy experience with your dogs doesn't mean that this will happen to your future-doggies. You just have to be more careful about things that may poison dogs. Read about them & try your best to keep them out of those things. I may have lost my Autumn then, however, I am happy with my dogs now. I am really careful about those things now. Coz I know the feeling of losing someone close to you--such as a pet or worse two of them.
So, I would like to encourage you to have pets again. They would help you heal. Really. Hope I have help somehow. God Bless!!! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

------------------
e.m.s.

SCOTT64
09-14-2000, 05:55 AM
I am sorry about your dogs...My wife and I just lost our dog (Boston Terrier) at one year old from the same symptoms. Unexplainable internal bleeding. Autopsy showed nothing. Were you using REVOLUTION on the dogs for fleas etc...My local breeders are telling me that REVOLUTION is causing many cases of spontaneous internal bleeding in many breeds of dogs and that Pfizer is reimbursing pet owners for purchase price and vet costs. An admission of guilt, if you ask me.

carrie
10-11-2000, 06:00 PM
Hello,
I'm so sorry for your loss but I urge you not to get more dogs until you have identified and removed the source of, what I agree, sounds like the effects of poison. Acute diabetes presents with similar symptoms but seems unlikely in two dogs at the same time in the same place unless a totally innapropriate diet was given, and even then it would of had to have been exteme.
I suggest you tactfully ask neighbours if they have had pest problems that warranted putting poisoned bait down or try phoning the local pest control agencies and ask them if they have been active in your area.
The other thing that springs to mind is possible lead poisoning. This builds up in the system with few noticeable effects, especially in puppies where any "odd" behaviour can be put down to playfulness, until a fatal level is reached. Then death is often swift and distressing and unexpected.
The source of such poisoning is sometimes very hard to find but try having your water pipes tested, important as it will affect you too! Any painted surface, outside or in must be suspect too.
Some comfort may be that usually lead affected dogs become sensitive to light and many become hydrophobic, but many become addicted to the source of the lead and take on such large amounts at a time that they become critical with little or no warning.
I hope that if I haven't given you an answer for what has happened then at least I have ruled something out. Best wishes, my thoughts are with you.