PDA

View Full Version : Hair chewing

wolfwoman62
06-27-2000, 01:32 PM
I have a sheltie that chews the hair on her back from her neck to her rump. She doesn't chew it to the skin but very very short. She doesn'thave a flea problem nor is itmange. Do you have any clue as to what is going on here?

Buttonsmama
06-27-2000, 11:39 PM
Your dog may have allergies, or dry skin. I have three Pekingeses, and two have allergies, one chews until she doesn't have any hair, it always comes back, but we go thru this each spring, the vet says its a skin allergy.
Also we are having a problem with chiggers biting dogs here, so its possible that could be happening with your sheltie.
Good luck with finding out whats happening with you dog.
Erna

snoopklt
07-09-2000, 10:47 PM
I'm human too 2 dogs that have allergies and I can only come up w/something in the air,like dust.I've changed their food etc.When it is really severe I give them a course of antibiotics {with acidophilus b-4 of course}until the sores are gone. I give them fish oil which is the only thing I've found that keeps them comfortably and not chewing constantly.It really works!The Vet says steriod shots which work great,but will kill the doggie in time.He said better to have one year less w/the dog than have them miserable. He's not their Vet any longer!

------------------
snoop