PDA

View Full Version : Bummed

K & L
10-02-2003, 06:12 PM
I received an e-mail from work (along with everyone in the Co.) that they're monitoring our internet time and will be disciplined, even fired if usage is abused. SO.....I won't be able to frequent the board as often. It's hard for me at home since my husband's job involves many hours of computer work, which leaves me off of it. I will read and think of all of you and respond when I can. Hopefully things will die down and I can get back on at work again. Seems they go through this every so many months!

IttyBittyKitty
10-02-2003, 06:19 PM
Here in Australia, most workies are banned from internet access as enjoyment is officially not part of their job descriptions (it's hard to feel joy when you are being whipped along with the other slaves)

Hope it gets better soon

(also posting at work - don't start for ten minutes! :) )

slick
10-02-2003, 06:26 PM
I work in the IT Dept here and we had thought of that a few years ago, but since there is only 3 of us to look after over 80 people throughout the province, there was no time to sit down and actually go through the stats. Thank goodness, otherwise I wouldn't be here because I don't have a puter at hom. Good luck. Can you at least schedule some home puter time, say 2 hrs per week??

K & L
10-02-2003, 08:03 PM
Oh yes! I will be able to get on probably daily at home...BUT...with my husband needing it I probably won't be able to repsond to as many post as I could from work. I always made my comments/responses as short as possible so I wasn't on it all that long, but now I'm having withdrawls. WAHHHHHHHHHHHH

Craftlady
10-02-2003, 08:06 PM
You need two computers with dual connections to internet.
Sure saved us at our house. :)

neko1
10-02-2003, 08:57 PM
You people are lucky you can use the internet at work! I'm stuck with a boring old crappy computer that has nothing on it:(

Lorraine
10-02-2003, 09:21 PM
I know how you feel, I was going completley nuts when I couldn't
visit here when my computer was broken. I hope you will be able
to get on the computer as often as you can. :)

K & L
10-02-2003, 09:32 PM
Well I just told my husband there's a new rule in the house...whenever he's on the computer I have control of the remote! I told him it's not fair he has the computer and the TV. He got off the computer pretty fast! hee hee

Craftlady
10-02-2003, 09:37 PM
:D

PayItForward
10-03-2003, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by Craftlady
You need two computers with dual connections to internet.
Sure saved us at our house. :)
We have two pcs which are connected by a wire and we run this gateway (?) software which allows us both to use the internet connection at the same time :D

We are lucky enough to have a broadband modem, so even sharing the bandwidth, we both get a good connection speed :D

popcornbird
10-03-2003, 02:52 AM
Originally posted by PayItForward
We have two pcs which are connected by a wire and we run this gateway (?) software which allows us both to use the internet connection at the same time :D

We are lucky enough to have a broadband modem, so even sharing the bandwidth, we both get a good connection speed :D

We have 4 computers and one DSL modem, but all 4 of them can use the DSL at the same time because we have a wireless network set at home for them all. :p Its great! No wires going anywhere, and all computers are connected to the Internet, and on DSL at that! :p :p

K & L, get a 2nd computer and a wireless network. That way you and your hubby can use the internet at the same time without bothering each other. :p

catmandu
10-03-2003, 09:49 AM
The best thing is to nod , agree with the Boss , then like the Cat , do exactly as you want! They just talk to hear themselves talk , and to try to bully you! Do what you think and know is right , although my advise is coming from a retired person.

Logan
10-03-2003, 10:04 AM
We have 3 computers running off of the same modem, using a hub. Do what you must, K&L, but keep on posting!!!!

10-03-2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by catmandu
The best thing is to nod , agree with the Boss , then like the Cat , do exactly as you want! They just talk to hear themselves talk , and to try to bully you! Do what you think and know is right , although my advise is coming from a retired person.

great advise, catmandu!!

:)

Ally Cat's Mommy
10-03-2003, 10:36 AM
PCB, Im going to PM you for more info re the Wirleless solution.

We have one PC (kid's room) and two laptops (Me and hubby). The cabling running through the place is driving me insane!!!

K & L

Bad luck re monitoring your internet usage at work - the day they do that to me I am SO FIRED!!!!! I really hate my job at the moment, and it's hard enough to be enthusiastic without all the much more enjoyable things like Pet Talk and eBay keeping me "busy":rolleyes:

sqwelch
10-03-2003, 11:03 AM
I try and keep my surfing time to my lunch hour, at least then they've got nuffin to moan about, I THINK !!! and luckily I've got a PC at home but I have to through my boyfriend off when I want to use it as he's constantly playing daft PC games !!!

mruffruff
10-03-2003, 12:31 PM
The programmer/repairman here at work tried that without authorization from any supervisor. For two weeks all of our favorite websites were blocked completely. When the VP came back from a visit to China, we convinced him that it wasn't reasonable. He agreed and now we are supposed to be limited to 2 hours a day (8-9AM, 12-1PM).

There are only 5 people who use it and we only have dial-up------really! I finally called some people to get us on a DSL line. It should be up in about 3 weeks.

Some days the internet and PetTalk are the only reasons to come to work.

:D
Mary

K & L
10-03-2003, 07:13 PM
We definitely need to update our system here. One thing we're still on dial up...now wouldn't you think when your husband works in IT Support we'd have the best...but NO!

I heard today 6 people got fired. They had to have been on some pretty bad sites for this to happen. I took a couple sneak peeks at the site today. It's driving me crazy. This was my enjoyment to an otherwise hectic yucky day. *sigh* I'm sure this will die down and get back to normal. When I first started posting here I was chancing getting on the site, but after the addiction I didn't care. Now I'm addicted and afraid to get on until I get home. Oh well I'll just have to get up earlier and go to bed later. Gosh I get up at 4:00 a.m. now *whew* don't know if I can make it much earlier.

slick
10-03-2003, 07:26 PM
I do consider myself lucky because I can multi-task. In the morning I check Pet Talk before my email. I can then minimize the PT page all day and continue working on other stuff and keep checking back. If the higher-ups were to impose something like that on us, I'm afraid I would just have to break down and buy a PC for home, or do some digging and find out how to "unmonitor" my internet traffic.

Mruffruff: I agree. If it weren't for Pet Talk I'd have really bad days.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
10-03-2003, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by K & L
We definitely need to update our system here. One thing we're still on dial up...now wouldn't you think when your husband works in IT Support we'd have the best...but NO!

Updating is the answer. When I first got my laptop, we only had dial-up at home. It was like I was torturing Terry to have him get off for 5 minutes so I could send email or something. But now...I'm in heaven! We got cable internet which is unbelievably fast and both our computers are wireless. I can even take the laptop out in the back yard on nice summer afternoon/evenings.

My suggestion is if the home computer is desk top, get a laptop and go wireless. Trust me, you will not regret it, and the money will be well spent! :D

Randy_K
10-04-2003, 12:07 AM
We are sharing a DSL line with a neighbor on a wireless network - it can be done with a cable modem too. Even with four computers online we can't overrun the line's capacity. I like being able to sit with the laptop on the couch or wander from room to room and still be online. Kensington makes a small USB-powered gooseneck light for the keyboard (FlyLight) (http://www.kensington.com/html/1176.html) so it has it's own lighting system.

K & L
10-04-2003, 07:47 AM
OK, you guys got me going. I told my husband all about this thread and that I want a wireless laptop, speed network, and multi-line use. He told me to stay off of pet talk! haha Just kidding. At work we can get a loan for computer equipment at interest free. We're basically borrowing out of our savings and paying ourselves back....SO...it won't be long!!!