PDA

View Full Version : Tick bite brings bump...

zippy-kat
08-14-2001, 04:33 PM
Last week, we removed a tick from Sara. The very next day, we found a bump where the tick was. The bump still hasn't disappeared or gone down in size.

Any ideas on what's going on?

carrie
08-14-2001, 06:11 PM
The most common reason for this is that part of the tick's head has broken off under the dog's skin. This will cause an abscess if left untreated and at this stage needs veterinary advice.

kobieeli
08-14-2001, 09:10 PM
This could be true, carrie, but not necessarily! When our dogs picked up a couple of ticks on a recent trip away from home, we were able to remove the entire tick--head and all--and yet the bump still appeared the next day. Our vet said it's a common skin reaction to the tick's saliva and that the bump would disappear in a few days to a week. Sure enough, it did. No medical attention required.

zippy-kat
08-14-2001, 09:35 PM
Thanks guys!

I'll watch it a few more days and see what happens. Hopefully it will go down quickly!

carrie
08-15-2001, 03:41 AM
Very true, Kobieeli, but after a week without any reduction in the lump the best advice I feel able to give is let the vet check it out. It may well need no treatment.

3-greys-and-a-mutt
08-15-2001, 07:16 AM
Our Boo had a dog tick last fall, and we removed the entire tick, head and all. She had a bump, like a hive or a pimple in that spot for a couple of days. We were told to watch for changes, or bring her in if it didn't reduce after a few days.
Carrie's right: it's always best to get a vet opinion!

kobieeli
08-15-2001, 11:01 AM
True...when in doubt, check it out! I just suggested waiting a little longer because from the original post I couldn't tell exactly how long the bump has been there. "Last week" could be Friday--or Monday, egads! Maybe have the good ol' doc give it a looksie after all...

:D

zippy-kat
08-15-2001, 01:12 PM
I don't remember the exact day that it happened, but it was later in the week.