PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have this problem with their cat food???

moosmom
10-01-2003, 06:05 PM
I have 8 cats and 8 cat dishes. I give them 3/4 of a cup of dry SD a day in all the dishes. I've noticed that SOME of the dishes are somewhat full while the others are empty.

I absolutely HATE wasting food. Any of you have this problem??? I don't know what to do. I supposed I COULD save it for the feral I'm feeding "Hobo". It would save me money (I think). My cats won't eat the food that's left there.

Let me know. I'd appreciate your feedback.

kitten645
10-01-2003, 06:13 PM
I have a similar situation. I only have two cats and two dishes but they seem to empty at different rates. As far as I can tell (or see) they each prefer their own dish but I have seen them eat from each others. I usually put new kibble in the empty dish and pour the old kibble on top and they usually eat it. I think the fresh smell underneath is a motivator. Of course the food is never really OLD. Maybe a day or two. I've been blessed w/ two good eaters that don't beg for people food and are happy with what's in their bowl. I hardly every have to throw away food unless it's the bottom of the bag and it's "dusty" w/broken kibbles that makes them hack a bit.
Claudia

moosmom
10-01-2003, 06:18 PM
Claudia,

I usually put new kibble in the empty dish and pour the old kibble on top

I try to do the same thing, except I put the NEW kibble on top of the old. Problem is they eat down to the old kibble and stop. UGH!! It gets frustrating because there are SOOOOO many hungry cats out there (Ya know, like when our parents made us feel guilty about starving children in Beafra when we left food on our plates??).

Maybe I'll put the old kibble away and feed it to the feral I'm helping out. At least it won't go to waste. That is unless HE doesn't eat it.

Craftlady
10-01-2003, 06:18 PM
I mix the old with the new (dry food). They always like "fresh" and putting little fresh on top of old if there is some leftover usually does it for my gang of three ;)

moosmom
10-01-2003, 06:21 PM
Maybe I'll try putting it back in the bucket of new and mixing it. Hmmmmm, now there's an idea.

RICHARD
10-01-2003, 06:25 PM
I have a huge bucket of Chef's blend..... i toss the 'old' in with the 'new', shake it and refill the bowl.

I use take a tupperware style dish for treats and wet food....when Eddie is done I cover the dish....a little more hassle but it keeps the stuff 'fresh' for later..

Fuzzy317
10-01-2003, 06:57 PM
We free feed our 4 cats, and they seem to be doing well that way.

At times, we give them canned food as a treat, and the food is as you describe Some bowls get empty, while others have food remaining.

I sometimes watch them eating the canned food. They all start eating from their bowls, but they migrate between bowls. I guess they figure, the "alpha" cats have better food :rolleyes: :D

slick
10-01-2003, 07:04 PM
I don't waste any food (must the Scottish in me..). They get a small portion of dry for breakfast. In the evening they have a 1/2 can of K/D between the two of them with dry mixed in. The other half goes in the fridge for the next night.

jenluckenbach
10-01-2003, 07:21 PM
IF and that is a big HUGE "IF" there is any leftover dry it goes back in the storage bin. The only food I waste (and I hate it too) Is the food that is dry mixed with canned (Fern and Willow eat their food this way, and they tend to leave leftovers). But I found a new way to make use of it........the fosters are allowed to clean up their bowls......no waste. But before that I threw out a little food EVERY day.:mad: They won't eat it the next day. :mad: and the others don't need the extra calories after they finish their bowls.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
10-01-2003, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by moosmom
Maybe I'll try putting it back in the bucket of new and mixing it. Hmmmmm, now there's an idea.

That's what Terry does.

Tubby will not eat the last few bites in the bowl. Peanut will, but Tubby won't. So even though technically there is still food in the dish, he will start begging and acting like he hasn't been fed in days. Me, I'm the mom, so I have to be the tough one and I ignore him, shaking my finger at him saying "you eat all the food in your dish before you get more." Terry on the other hand, is the softie in the family, and can't stand it when Tubby begs incessantly like that, so he goes down and does what we call "the old switcheroo." He dumps the old food back in the bag, then dips out another cupful and pours it in the bowl. Tubby sticks his face in and starts eating immediately. Obviously some of the old food got mixed in with what was re-poured, but Tubby doesn't notice so it seems to work.

Anway, I know that's a long way of telling it, but basically I think either putting it back in the bag, or giving it to the feral is your best bet. One cat begging incessantly is somewhat tolerable, but 8 begging incessantly...well....that might just send me to the loony bin. ;) :D

carole
10-01-2003, 10:04 PM
My two are very wasteful as well, I keep telling them , that some poor starving stray would certainly appreciate it, mind you I used to say that to my children, about all the starving kids in the world and it never worked.

Trouble is Lexie is a bit of a snacker, whereas Ash is mr greedy guts, gobbles it down at once and then usually ends up puking it, as he eats too fast .

Lexie will walk away and leave hers for later, and guess who comes in and eats it yep, my fat boy Ash , I swear if he keeps this up he will be like the side of a house.

Of course when they are having their fussy day, and they both have them, it gets left there only for a short time, as I hate smelly cat food lying around and attracting unwanted guests (pesky flies) .

It doe's bother me when they waste it, as we cannot afford to have it wasted.

They free feed on the cat biscuits, and that seems to work well for both of them.

The other problem is they both seem to like different cat foods, as I said they are like chalk and cheese in personality and tastes.

shais_mom
10-02-2003, 12:32 AM
Well, I only have one cat but she does what Tubby does. But I leave it in there until she eats it b/c I am a bad bad mommy!!! And I don't want to give her MORE if she hasn't eaten what she had to begin with b/c she is too pudgy!!!
And now she is becoming picky with the Royal Canin I am giving her. :( And I have like 5 pounds left. And that is just too expensive to put out for the neighborhood cats or to give to my friend with outside kitties. :( She is just going to have to suffer with it until she gets it eaten down to the amount where I can mix in her Science Diet!!!
Bad Bad Mommy!!! Gotta be the hard a$$!!!! :o :eek:

ramanth
10-02-2003, 09:41 AM
My two are pigs... :o :rolleyes: :p :D

Hope some of these great suggestions work!

catmandu
10-02-2003, 09:45 AM
des[ite the fact that there are 14 Cats , they will not empty a dish, as there are 6 feeding Stations! So the crumbs get mixed with the Canned Food and go out to the Strays. Fussy Cats!

Randi
10-02-2003, 10:38 AM
Donna, as long as it's dry food, I don't think you have to throw it away and I know Hills S/D is not the cheapest kind either, so try giving them the amount similar to two table spoonfulls at a time, and if there's still some left, pour it on TOP of the new ration, but use clean bowls. (I bet you do already) They'll eat it if they're hungry! ;)

I buy bags of 2 kg at a time and pour some in a plastic container which contains the amount similar to two large mugs. The bag I keep in a dark, cool storage room.

mruffruff
10-02-2003, 03:01 PM
Eight cute little bowls of dry "cereal" for breakfast, served on a tray at 5:45AM. What doesn't disappear is picked up and mixed with a can of wet food and a bit more dry for 5PM feeding. Leftover mixed food goes out on the front porch for the two neighbor cats.

I have to sit with them each feeding so fat Ghost doesn't help himself to leftovers and to be sure the timid ones get to eat their portion.

Mary