PDA

View Full Version : Updated info on the Ingham County Animal Shelter

ramanth
10-01-2003, 03:28 PM
If you remember the local Animal Shelter was brought into light by the media for selling shelter animals to Class B researchers to be tested on.

Well.... browsing the website via Petfinder I found this update:

Ingham County Pound Seizure Update!

UPDATE: In the very early morning hours of June 11, 2003, in a meeting that ran until 1:00 a.m., the Ingham County Commissioners voted 12-3 to ban Class B Dealers from obtaining animals from the Ingham County Animal Shelter. MSU, UofM and Wayne State University's Vet School will still be allowed to get animals directly for their programs (such as the Blood Donor program where animals find homes after their participation). The new policy cancels a policy that has been in effect at ICAC since 1984. FICAS wishes to thank everyone who has taken time to help the Ingham County Shelter animals in this effort.

Before someone says... well...gee.... the Vet Schools still can get ahold of animals...

I just wanted to point out that the MSU Blood Donor program is the very one that saved Kia's life. :)

Previous updates:

The Director of the Ingham County Animal Shelter "temporarily suspended" the privileges of FICAS at the shelter on 2-7-03. FICAS has been outspoken against the shelter selling animals to Class B Dealers for purposes of research and it appears that our freedom of speech is being punished.

On Tuesday, March 11, 2003, Founder and President of Jethros Place Animal Sanctuary, Mary Dresbach, presented a formal complaint to the Ingham County Board of Commissioners outlining several alleged violations by the Ingham County Animal Shelter, including violations of the Michigan spay-neuter act. Sadly, several Commissioners did not listen to the complaint as verbally outlined by Ms. Dresbach. Commissioner Mark Grebner refused to accept a written copy of the complaint and supporting documents. FICAS and citizens in Ingham County are hoping that the Commissioners conduct an investigation into the many issues involving the shelter, as outlined in the complaint.

On Thursday, March 13, 2003, dozens of citizens attended the Ingham County Board of Commissioners Law Enforcement Committee meeting discuss recent incidents and alleged violations at the shelter. FICAS is thankful to the many people who attended this meeting and voiced their complaints. Again, Commissioner Mark Grebner refused to listen to their complaint, walked out of the meeting and failed to represent his constituents.

On March 25, 2003, members of FICAS attended the Ingham County Board of Commissioners meeting and requested that FICAS be reinstated at the shelter for the reason that there is no legal provision in the Commissioners Rescue Resolution (#01-111) for suspending a rescue group from rescuing animals from the shelter. Once again, the Commissioners refused to acknowledge the request.

On April 15, 2003, FICAS' attorney, plus many other concerned citizens, again spoke out against selling shelter pets for research, as well as demanding that FICAS's rescue privileges be reinstated at the shelter.

UPDATE: On July 9, 2003, FICAS' rescue privileges were reinstated at the shelter!

:D :D

Kater
10-01-2003, 03:57 PM
Great news!!! This stuff in right down my alley.....

I just chewed someone out the other day because he left his poodle tied up outside a shop right near a busy road. I told him his dog could have been untied, wiggled out of his collar or been stolen and sold into research! He just kind of stared at me. Oh well, I'm sure I had SOME impression upon him.

Great move, Ingham County Animal Shelter! Now if only we can get all vet schools to stop doing terminal surgery on doggies from shelters.... :(