PDA

View Full Version : Introducing new animals into the house...

Samantha Puppy
10-01-2003, 03:23 PM
I wanted to know what you all thought of introducing new animals into a household where Sam is the only dog. What I mean by that is, last night I was talking to my fiance and told him I'd like to get an "older" dog next year after our wedding. You know, the ones that are usually walked right past in the shelters as everyone makes a beeline for the puppies? I *think* Samantha would love having a playmate around. I *know* I would love to rescue a poor pupper that thinks that its life is over and give it a really great home. (I also want to do the same thing for cats. I'd like a kitten, but I also want to get an older cat.)

Now Samantha gets along well with other dogs when they come over to play, but they always leave and that is that. Do you think having a dog that stays around will evoke a different emotion out of Sam? How about with the cats? She cohabitates with Sherman, my family's cat at the moment. She loves him, he tolerates her. I don't want her jumping at a little baby kitten though!

I just don't know... I'd love to do some good and make a difference, but I don't know how to go about doing it so that there is harmony among the animals (and therefore, Josh and I) or even if it's a good idea. I'd like to get your feedback... think I should or maybe not such a good idea...?

Samantha Puppy
10-02-2003, 07:35 AM
Nothing?

cloverfdx
10-02-2003, 09:07 AM
hi

You could try fostering a dog for a while just to see how samantha acts having another dog around for a while, then if that works out and samantha is happy id say "go for it" and you could also foster some kittens as well to see how things work out :)

good luck on what ever you decide to do

Christiansmommy
10-02-2003, 09:21 AM
Do shelters allow you to bring your dog to them and "test" the dogs together? Not sure. I have heard that is easier to introduce dogs/cats of the opposite sex together...so if you have a female dog, maybe a male dog would be a good choice and maybe even a smaller sized one than Samatha, so Samatha doesnt feel threatened?

Pam
10-03-2003, 02:00 PM
Robyn makes a good point. The shelter where I got Ripley actually encouraged me to bring Bella up for a "dry run" to see if they got along. Of course back at home it's always a little different, but seeing how they acted toward each other at the shelter gave me even more encouragement that things would work out at home which they did. :)

As for the kitty thing, I really do think a kitten might be able to blend into your household easier or a cat who has spent time around dogs before. My cats came here as kittens and there were already dogs in the house, although different dogs than the two I have now. At any rate, each introduction to a dog was very easy because the cats had been around them before and grew up with them. I think an older cat who has never been around dogs wouldn't work well, but that's just my opinion and there are exceptions to any rule. :)