PDA

View Full Version : Makeup?

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
10-01-2003, 01:37 PM
How do you feel about makeup?

Do you wear it?

If you have kids, how old were they when you let them wear it? Did they WANT to?

I don't wear makeup, but occasionally blush or something just to cover up maybe a mark on my face or something. Not usually eyeshadow unless my mom makes me, believe it or not, she does, lol. Like for a special occasion, she made me wear some blue-silvery eyeshadow... Lipstick, I don't like. I hardly wear lip gloss, much less lipstick.

I don't think I need it, not to sound all into myself, but I am who I am and God made me this way for a purpose.

Kfamr
10-01-2003, 01:46 PM
I like interesting Make-Up.

Black eyeliner, pretty eyeshadows. I especially like reds/pink/oranges.

I can't stand black lipstick. I hate when girls just put lip liner on, it looks like you have chocolate around your lips.

I don't wear make-up myself, But I've put it on a few times just for fun & something to do. I normally wear chapstick or lipgloss at the most.

If you can't put it on, or you over do it all the time, just don't wear any at all. If it makes you happy though, go ahead, I atill think it looks horrible. :p

Cheshirekatt
10-01-2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
I like interesting Make-Up.

Black eyeliner, pretty eyeshadows. I especially like reds/pink/oranges.

Now I really DO think we were seperated at birth. lolololol

Well, I worked as a make-up artist for a long time so obviously I love make-up.

I agree that I've seen some hideous make-up. I particularly loathe white eyeliner and frosty pink lipstick. But, hey.....that's just me. :)

Oh and the worst is when someone wears foundation and it doesn't even match their skin!

Kfamr
10-01-2003, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Cheshirekatt
Now I really DO think we were seperated at birth. lolololol

Well, I worked as a make-up artist for a long time so obviously I love make-up.

I agree that I've seen some hideous make-up. I particularly loathe white eyeliner and frosty pink lipstick. But, hey.....that's just me. :)

Oh and the worst is when someone wears foundation and it doesn't even match their skin!

Hehehe. :p

OH.. I hate when people put bronzer on or whatever when they're completely PALE. I love being pale, and there's nothing wrong with it -- But, if you want to be that color then go tan! It looks so odd when they their face is WAY darker than the rest!

slick
10-01-2003, 01:52 PM
The only time I wear makeup is Halloweenie. The only thing that touches my face is Vitamin E cream every day. In fact I do have a makeup bag that's being used as a door stop.

zippy-kat
10-01-2003, 01:53 PM
Powder, eyeliner, and mascara are about the only thing I wear. I have a TON of make-up--absolutely LOVE to buy it--but I hardly ever wear very much, plus I have very sensitive skin (thank God for Clinique & Lancome :) ).

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
10-01-2003, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by slick
In fact I do have a makeup bag that's being used as a door stop.

The only thing I carry around in a makeup bag is my Contacts Solution and an extra pair of contacts... I've been known to rub my eyes and they fall out and I lose them.. :D I also carry band-aids (this week is HP band-aids.. they glow in the dark!) and that's about it.

Kfamr
10-01-2003, 02:02 PM
I don't even own a "Make-Up Bag" :p

Soledad
10-01-2003, 02:16 PM
I LOVE makeup. I think it's lots of fun and I love all the colors and ways you can enhance or detract certain facial features.

But I don't think everyone should wear it. You should only do it if you truly enjoy the process.

2kitties
10-01-2003, 02:34 PM
I'm a very scary woman without my makeup. I don't subject people to that if I can help it.
I'm a girlie girl. I love all the potions

Logan
10-01-2003, 02:42 PM
I have to have my eyelashes at least.......black mascara helps. Other than that, I can take it or leave it, but I usually wear makeup when I am out on business, on a special occasion or for church.

Logan

Pam
10-01-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by 2kitties
I'm a very scary woman without my makeup. I don't subject people to that if I can help it.
I'm a girlie girl. I love all the potions

This is pretty much what I was going to say! LOL! Years and years ago my mom sold Avon and I think I "got the bug" back then for all of the neat little things that you could buy to enhance the way you look. These days I basically start out with my Oil of Olay (trying my hardest to keep the skin young as long as possible :D ), then some mascara, a little eyeliner, blush and lipstick. I really don't like going out anywhere with at least some of the above on, for the reason that 2kitties said. :rolleyes:

popcornbird
10-01-2003, 03:04 PM
I'm not really a makeup person. I do use a bit of blush when we're having guests over, or when we go to someone's house or somewhere where we'll meet a lot of people, but other than that, nope. I use chapstick occasionally but I don't consider that makeup. Its to keep my lips from going dry. :p Same thing with lotions/dry skin creams. I use them at night to keep my skin from getting dry, but then again, I don't consider them as *makeup*. Just something to help keep my skin healthy, since I use the Vitamin E/aloe vera ones. Other than the occasional blush, I'm usually just myself. I've never used eyeliner or anything on my eyes. People say my eyes look like they have a natural eyeliner on them, so I guess I don't need one. I can't stand lipstick on my face. I think it makes me look totally unnatural. :p Sometimes before taking a shower, I'll mess around with my mom's lipstick and makeup and see what I look like. Of course I think I look strange and *bright* in a funny sort of way, so 10 seconds later, its all washed off. :p I hate the glitter makeup some people use on their face. It makes them look all sparkly and from far, sweaty. :eek: I told my cousin, who uses glitter make up ALL THE TIME, that she looks sweaty from far, in a joking way, and she got mad. Hehehe. :p I love teasing her. :p Oh well. I just like being the real me, and not the painted me. :p

Chinadoll
10-01-2003, 03:11 PM
I love makeup. I feel almost naked without it. Wear it to work everyday, but mostly stay makeup free on the weekends to give my skin a break unless we have plans to go out. I have a huge purse that I carry my everyday makeup in..that way if I'm running late for work(as usual) I can finish my makeup in the lot I park in or in the ladies room.

I love all the different shades of lipsticks and nail polishes. I hate when I pass buy a makeup counter with a free gift because then I'll buy a few lipsticks in new colors and get the gift.

Started playing with make up when I was 12, but all my Mom would let me wear out was clear mascara and lip gloss. Probably started regularly wearing makeup when I was 14 or 15 when I was out with my girlfriends, but never to school. As it was I never really wore that much makeup in highschool, just some powder, eyeshadow, mascara and lipstick.

oh and 2kitties and Pam: I can relate! :) I'm a girlie girl to...something Joey says he love about me. My boss even told me I'm the most feminine woman he knows. My cousins even call me girlie girl. What can I say... I love make up, like to buy lots of clothes(mostly dresses and skirts) and am more comfortable in heels than flats. That's just me.

carole
10-01-2003, 03:43 PM
I also love make-up and worn right, it enhances your looks, and it also acts as a sun protector, as the foundation I wear REVLON, has sun protection in it.

I am an ex-Avon sales-rep, and never ever made any money, as I kept spending it back on their products, I am thinking of starting up again its been over ten yrs since I did it.

I allow my daughter a little lippy and eyeshadow, only on special occassions, like the school disco etc.

Although she does have a great selection of sabrinas secrets make-up that came with her magazine.

I sure would not be without my make-up bag,I am quite pale -skinned , so I sure need some brightening up.

babolaypo65
10-01-2003, 04:32 PM
Makeup means getting up five (or 45 :p ) minutes earlier so.... nope. no makeup for me! havent worn any since I was about 20.....

Kater
10-01-2003, 05:02 PM
I wear makeup most days--- but I can go without it also. For example, I'm not wearing any today! I like wearing liquid foundation, powder, eye liner, mascara, blush & gloss or chapstick. *ALL CRUELTY-FREE!* I'm into the natural and well-blended look. I've never liked bright lipsticks but I enjoy using dramatic eye makeup when I go out in the evenings. :)

I consider makeup application an artform and I am always really careful when putting it on. I have makeup remover nearby and sometimes have to start over! :o The like the routine of putting it on and I like spending that little bit of time on myself and improving my appearance. I think good grooming is important. :D (that is not to say that people who don't use makeup are not well groomed of course!)

Aspen and Misty
10-01-2003, 05:06 PM
I only wear Cover up over my ocasional pimples and I wear always Mascara..

Ash

Miss Meow
10-01-2003, 05:08 PM
I wear make-up to work as I think skin looks awful under fluoro lights :)

I really like Lancome and Clarins products, but they're expensive so I wait until I see the beloved 'gift with purchase' ads! I've been buying some L'Oreal products and have been happy with them.

I don't wear makeup on weekends unless I'm going out, but I loved tinted moisturised and lip glosses with sunscreen so I don't burn.

primabella
10-01-2003, 05:31 PM
I'm not a make-up person. I wear lip gloss and that's about it. Some people just don't know how to wear make-up though. One girl at school is covered in it. If you see her face in the light, all you see is a thick layer of make-up all over. Too much.

I also like interesting make-up, but only on certain people. One of my friends wears this orange eyeshadow and it suits her well.

harpmom
10-01-2003, 05:44 PM
I have two daughters who are at the age when good skin care is essential (read: the age of zits!). The older one wears foundation and blush most of the time and a little shadow and mascara for special occasions.

The younger one, however... She is a dancer and is required to wear makeup for performances. You should see what we have to go through to get it on her -- you'd think we were pulling her fingernails out:eek: We can't do it in the bathroom where she can see herself in the mirror. Even lipstick makes her holler! We usually skip the mascara (long dark lashes -- she doesn't need it), but eyeliner, eye shadow, foundation, blush. The whole works and its torture for all of us. I don't want her to grow up too soon, but this is one area that I'd be thrilled not to have to do battle.

puppygrrl4eva7
10-01-2003, 08:00 PM
I use chapstick occasionally but I don't consider that makeup. Its to keep my lips from going dry.

Once a few years ago my lips got addicted to chapstick, I used it so often (every night) that once when I forgot it, my lips got really dry. They were so used to the chapstick!

Kay~
Arrgg you enjoy being pale? I totally hate it, I have bags under my eyes and my paleness makes them stand out more, I have TONS of frecals which don't look good with my pale skin. I wish I were tan. Pale looks good on lots of people, not me.

RubyMutt
10-01-2003, 08:36 PM
It depends how lazy I am in the morning :o

In high school I'd always wear it. Not too much, but I'd always use blush, lipstick, eyeliner, eye shadow, mascara, etc...

Now, I don't care so much. I do usually put on some foundation to even out my skin tone, but other than that it just depends on what kind of mood I'm in. If I'm feeling ambitious I'll wear lipstick, eye shadow, blush, & mascara.

GoldenRetrLuver
10-01-2003, 08:40 PM
It depends.
I'll wear mascara, lip gloss, and sometimes the occasional blush. I haven't worn any in a while...just been too lazy. :rolleyes:

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
10-01-2003, 09:22 PM
Lindsey-
I usually wear foundation to even things out too. And to hide zits.. :o

Kfamr
10-01-2003, 09:30 PM
Yes, I like being pale. I really don't like tans. :p Especially when people get TOO tan, when it's not their natural skin color.

Fuzzy317
10-01-2003, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by slick
The only time I wear makeup is Halloweenie.

I am the same way. I might wear some at Halloween, maybe not. :D

Tonya
10-01-2003, 09:55 PM
I work outdoors in a dirty job, so I can't stand to wear makeup to work. There's nothing worse then sweat, dirt, and makeup mixing. ewwww. I just wear sunscreen and waterproof mascara. I use mascara on my eyebrows everyday, because my brows are way to thin and light. And I can't stand bare lips, I am constantly applying chapstick.

Normally, on weekends, I put on makeup. Especially if someone is coming over or we are going out. I wear MAC foundation and powder, blush, eye shadow, eyeliner, lip liner, lipstick. I occasionally wear fake eyelashes if I am going to a club.

I think I started wearing lip gloss at about 13 and added mascara around 15. I didn't start wearing alot of makeup until I was pregnant with my son at 19. My skin broke out really bad which made me self conscious, so I started wearing makeup all the time.

binka_nugget
10-01-2003, 10:00 PM
I've just got out of the "tomboy" phase...or so my friends say. :rolleyes:

I LOVE black eyeliner. That's pretty much the only thing that I put on with the odd exception of lipgloss if my lips look dead but even then, it's colorless. I haven't worn any eyeliner in a while though, it's a pain to get on since I have eczema on my left eye...it'll get wrinkly sort of lol.

I don't wear any other makeup because I can barely wake up early enough to make it to school in time and because I look HORRIBLE in anything else, especially eyeshadow. I don't have those creases on my eyelids so eyeshadows look really "meh". Once I tried looking like Mimi from the Drew carey show...that was fun :D

iceyshiver21
10-01-2003, 10:14 PM
I wear mascara because it's fun to put on...and I have MILLIONS OF LIPGLOSSES!! I collect them ;) haha! But other than that I dont wear any make-up.

CathyBogart
10-01-2003, 11:04 PM
I wear makeup only on occasion, and when I do it's usually subtle eye makeup and a touch of powder bronze.

Uabassoon
10-01-2003, 11:42 PM
Makeup? Yuck!

shais_mom
10-02-2003, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by Soledad
I LOVE makeup. I think it's lots of fun and I love all the colors and ways you can enhance or detract certain facial features.

But I don't think everyone should wear it. You should only do it if you truly enjoy the process.
Totally Agree!!!
I LOVE MAKEUP!!!
ALL OF IT!!!
I LOVE TO BUY IT!! I LOVE LIPSTICK!!
Hello my name is Staci, and I have an addiction to makeup..............and am darn proud of it!! ;)
I love to buy new things!! They make me feel good about myself. My sister has been selling AVON for a couple years and I shudder to think about how much I have paid her!!!:eek:
I sometimes just whip it on in about 5-7 minutes but if I am going out I take a little extra time for my eyes.
I have had Mary Kaye sellers come up to me and ask me what I used b/c I had the prettiest makeup they had ever seen. Course I had to tell them that I am not loyal to one brand.
One of my favorite foundations is Revlon Colorstay. I wore that for about 3-4 years until I was at a wedding in May and b/c I had been tanning and my makeup was lighter, In all the pics I had a white mask. I went to the Clinique counter and had my foundation matched within a week of seeing those pics!!! That bothered me soooooo much!!!
Course with the alcohol I had consumed also my neck was all red so that didn't help matters any. But I am pretty happy with my Clinique foundation now. And I also really like Cover Girls Aqua smooth compact foundation. It goes on very nice and even and smooth and pretty quick. Sometimes I throw that on for work. And I have the Almay Nearly Naked that I keep in my purse, b/c it just isn't enough cover for my day to day routine, but works if I have a touchup.
One of my favorite lipglosses are the Avon Glazewear. I just love those!!! I think I have like at least 6 of them in different colors!! But I just love lipstick, any kind. That is my vice.
I also like mascara. I bought some stuff off of QVC that is a fibrous thing in a tube that you put over your wet mascara and it makes your lashes MILES long. Its called Fast Lash and I think it is by Laura Gellar. It was expensive but worth it. BUT I found that the Jane Line of Makeup makes this HI FIBER mascara that does the same thing works just as well for less than $4!!!!

tikeyas_mom
10-02-2003, 02:00 AM
I wear it lol. just to cover blemishes lol :o..

carole
10-02-2003, 02:24 PM
Staci when you get older try the REVLON AGE DEFYING foundation, its excellent for the more mature looking woman, I should know lol.

I really like REVLON products and LOREAL and of course good old AVON.

One thing I cannot stand is the lipsticks that are supposed to stay on and not come off, they all feel so gross on my lips, has anyone come across one that is excellent, because I have tried a few and now given up as they are so yuck.

RICHARD
10-02-2003, 02:44 PM
I try not to screw up....

Therefore, I have no need to make-up.

carole
10-02-2003, 02:53 PM
Aren't we the witty one today,? ha ha, Richard very good.LOL:)

2kitties
10-02-2003, 02:56 PM
I love all MAC products. I've tried everything they've got and absolutely love it all. They're employees (at the MAC stores, not so much at the malls) are very very well trained and do a great job. Pricey, but worth every penny!

The preceeding message paid for by the MAC cosmetic company:)

Cataholic
10-02-2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by carole

One thing I cannot stand is the lipsticks that are supposed to stay on and not come off, they all feel so gross on my lips, has anyone come across one that is excellent, because I have tried a few and now given up as they are so yuck.

Carole, it is ALL in the application. Use a lip puffer-upper..I use something by Lancome (who should worship me for the money I spend at their counter) to rid yourself of the cracks/crevices. Then, after it is dry, use a pencil, and do both the outline and the lip in that colour. Then, use a lip colour, and blot with tissue, then, use a clear sort of gel- I use Lancome Juicy Tubes! and blot slightly. I think that really sets it. I know some people use powder, too.

Lancome, Lancome, Lancome. I don't subscribe to their facial cleansing system (since I am NOT going back to school again for the tutorial). I use a moisturizer, eye creme and lip creme. Then, foundation- and I use a sheer one, Lancome...nice and light coverage, to even the tones. Then, pressed powder and blush. Turning your attention to my eyes, I use a eye foundation to help the eye shadow stick, and line my eyes with a pencil. Then, I use Lancome's something something mascara. But, I am going back to Covergirl...I dont notice any difference, besides the price. I was using the brow stuff, but, that was just getting too carried away for most days.

Now, I can go a weekend without make up, if I am not going 'out'.

I have had many a friends (formerly, he he) that professed their opinion about natural v. made up , God gave me this look, blah, blah, blah...WHATEVER! God also gave you a nekkid body, deoderant free armies, and plain jane hair, .....so, just don't go there. And, it is rare that I see someone without makeup that couldn't look a little more 'finished' with it. Now, I am not arguing someone's right not to wear it...but, I do think it is a more polished look. I am not talking about wearing it to jobs where you sweat, to the gym, running out to get milk...but, in general type situtions.

Samantha Puppy
10-02-2003, 03:55 PM
I use make-up religiously. I really never leave the house without it. I'm not really vain, but I guess when it comes to that I am. <shrug> I like wearing it... I'm all about being a girly girl and make-up is a part of that. :)

Soledad
10-02-2003, 04:19 PM
I love all MAC products. I've tried everything they've got and absolutely love it all. They're employees (at the MAC stores, not so much at the malls) are very very well trained and do a great job. Pricey, but worth every penny!

You're speaking my language!! I LOVE MAC. It's so much fun. I also love, love, love Chanel, NARS and Shiseido. You know, all the really cheap stuff.:p :rolleyes:

binka_nugget
10-02-2003, 08:23 PM

Ohhh I love clear lipgloss from Mac. It feels funny but it looks so good that I don't care how it feels LOL.

Twisterdog
10-02-2003, 08:53 PM
I never wear makeup, unless I have to go to a wedding or a funeral or a big party. Or if I'm getting professional portraits taken.

Otherwise I never wear any makeup at all. I don't like to take the time to put it on, and I don't like the way it feels. Bleck.

Tonya
10-02-2003, 10:16 PM

Try Loreal Endless. It's in a goldish tube. It doesn't last super long, but longer then most without drying out the lips. I like it.

Tonya
10-02-2003, 10:22 PM
One of my favorite foundations is Revlon Colorstay.

I used to wear that all the time. It covers so well and even stays on a bit when you swim. BUT it makes me break out so bad! (I have awful skin and am currently on accutane.)

wolf_Q
10-02-2003, 10:38 PM
I wear make-up pretty much every day. On a normal day though, it's really not much. Sleep is much to important to me to spend more then 5 minutes on make-up and hair. :p

I usually wear mascara, touch of eyeshadow, powder (my face is always shiney, and I hate it!) and occasionally lipstick..medium shade.

I've never bought any make-up, I mooch off my mom...whenever I buy it on my own it won't be much, I'm too cheap to buy any expensive brands.

binka_nugget
10-02-2003, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by wolf_Q
I've never bought any make-up, I mooch off my mom...whenever I buy it on my own it won't be much, I'm too cheap to buy any expensive brands.

Lol ditto! I'm quite happy with my dollar store eye liner;)

shais_mom
10-03-2003, 12:09 AM
Thanks for the Tip Carole!! I will keep that in mind!! :)
I haven't found any of the long lasting lipsticks that I can't live without. But I have found that if you dust your lips with loose powder, put your lipstick on, and blot and dust LIGHTLY again with the loose powder and then top with a light gloss, that helps make it stay longer. But I have been using glosses with more color pigment like the Avon Glazewear a lot more. I used to regliously use lip liner, now I only use it occasionally, when I remember. :o
I have just started using the Physician's Formula powders. They have several colors in the palette so that it blends for a more natural color, I really like those!

jenfer
10-03-2003, 12:16 AM
I have been in different phase in putting on makeup. Right now I usually do not put makeup on, unless there are special occasions. But I do need chapstick (my lips are very dry) and sometimes lipgloss if I am in the mood. I tried many different brands, I don't really care as long as they work. :D Good thread. I have fun reading it.

Cheshirekatt
10-07-2003, 10:32 PM
All this talk about make-up made me want to go through and clean it all up. :)

Here's most of my collection:

captain
10-07-2003, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by babolaypo65
Makeup means getting up five (or 45 :p ) minutes earlier so.... nope. no makeup for me! havent worn any since I was about 20.....

Ditto that!!!!!

Originally posted by RICHARD
I try not to screw up....

Therefore, I have no need to make-up.

I was hoping you would "jump in"

I used to wear make-up, then stopped.
My main reason - same as babolaypo - TIME!!! I like to sleep in the morning so, none for me .......

Wedding, or special occasion - I make the effort.

Cheshirekatt - OMG!!!!!!! Make up QUEEN!

Cheshirekatt
10-07-2003, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by captain
Cheshirekatt - OMG!!!!!!! Make up QUEEN!

Yep, I throw the best slumber parties! :D

Make-overs, pedicures, facials and manicures for everyone. :)

popcornbird
10-07-2003, 11:22 PM

Here's most of my collection:

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Now you're one princess wannabe! :D :p :p

Cheshirekatt
10-07-2003, 11:24 PM
The nice thing is, because I'm licensed it's all tax deductible. :D

captain
10-07-2003, 11:26 PM
Yep, I throw the best slumber parties! :D

Make-overs, pedicures, facials and manicures for everyone. :)

Where in WOnderland do you live. I'm coming over!!!!!

But you know it is not really to see you, but to see MY other dogs ....... :D

Kater
10-07-2003, 11:30 PM
The nice is, because I'm licensed it's all tax deductible. :D

So um how do I go about getting licensed??? ;) ;) ;)

But seriously, that has got to be over $300 worth of makeup there-- that's my general guess not knowing the brands. CRAZY! :p I'm just jealous!

Cheshirekatt
10-07-2003, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Kater
So um how do I go about getting licensed??? ;) ;) ;)

But seriously, that has got to be over $300 worth of makeup there-- that's my general guess not knowing the brands. CRAZY! :p I'm just jealous!

When you work for MAC, you get $600 worth of make-up a year! ;)

That's the old style MAC case that you can't get anymore..... :(

Tonya
10-07-2003, 11:37 PM
You work for MAC! :eek: I love MAC!!! :D

Kater
10-07-2003, 11:38 PM
I wish I could afford MAC. :( They don't test on animals and a lot of their stuff is even vegan! I feel like I'm going to be a poor college student FOREVER.

Hey, would you happen to have a list or something with the MAC products that are vegan?

Cheshirekatt
10-07-2003, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Tonya
You work for MAC! :eek: I love MAC!!! :D

I used to work for MAC. I haven't worked for them in like 4 or 5 years, but I've got friends who still do so they hook me up! ;)

Cheshirekatt
10-07-2003, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by Kater
I wish I could afford MAC. :( They don't test on animals and a lot of their stuff is even vegan! I feel like I'm going to be a poor college student FOREVER.

Hey, would you happen to have a list or something with the MAC products that are vegan?

I can check on that for you. :)

They also have a web site that you could check out. I'm pretty sure you can e-mail them questions. :D

petlover
11-05-2003, 09:18 PM
I truly do not like makup. It hides pretty girls faces from the world. And they think that it makes them prettier???? Hahaha. I will only wear makup for Halloween. That is it.

iloverat
11-05-2003, 09:54 PM
For all those who do like to wear make-up, have you ever checked into the book entitled "Don't Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me" ? The author is Paula Begoun and she gives a SUPER analysis of all lines of cosmetics. It was amazing to me to see Lancome and L'Oreal were owned by the same company so lots of their products were almost the same except for price. Lots of neat stuff like that in the book. This author also has 2 on-line newsletters you can subscribe to - one is free and the other costs. I get both and have noticed that the freebie newsletter contains a lot of stuff that's in the one you pay for. Oh, and Jane make=up line is owned by Lauder!

I do like makeup, love to play with it but don't wear it every day. My favorite toy is lipgloss. Love it, Love it, LOVE IT!!!!!

G.P.girl
11-05-2003, 10:05 PM
lol! i was just thinking about strating a thread like this.:)

i dont wear make-up because i dont really like the idea of spreading animal fats and greasy stuff on my face to "look pretty". maybe i will when i'm older. even though my mom lets me i always feel embarassed for some reason when i wear make-up around her. i'm not sure why. my sister doesn't wear make-up . and my mom does.

CathyBogart
11-05-2003, 10:58 PM
Occasionally I'll put on a touch of eye makeup, but other than that I avoid it. ^.^

I used to be a total goth though...

2kitties
11-06-2003, 08:23 AM
I am the number one customer at the MAC counter. Well, maybe not, but between MAC and Sephora, I could die happy right inside their stores. It's like Disneyland!

Soledad
11-06-2003, 08:25 AM
Amen, 2Kitties.:D

Ally Cat's Mommy
11-06-2003, 09:33 AM
Small children have been known to run at the sight of me without makeup on:D :D :D

I think it depends what you are used to.(And how other people are used to seeing you). My SIL is very pretty, dark hair and freckles, and it looks WEIRD when she wears makeup, because she hadly ever does. On the other hand, I will not leave the house without AT LEAST foundation, mascara and a light lipstick on. People see me withour makeup and they ask if I am sick!!!!
(I even have special bandanas so I wont smudge my make-up all over the inside of my bike helmet when we ride.

BUT one of the first things I do when I get home is take my makeup off!

And what about perfume! If I forget to put perfume on, I will actually stop in at the drug store and spray myself with a sample:rolleyes: I feel totally naked without it!:rolleyes:
My hubby was in the UK last week, and the angel bought me 2 big bottles of New West Skin Scent - it's my favourite, but you can't buy it here or in South Africa:(

PS Soledad & 2Kitties - want to go shopping????

2kitties
11-06-2003, 09:46 AM
I like Vera Wang perfume and Sheer Tiffany. Both light scents with fruit and floral.

micki76
11-06-2003, 10:01 AM
Anyone know where I could go to get custom blended foundation? I have strange, extremely pale, very pink skin and no retail make up (even the best) matches my skin!

HELP!

2kitties
11-06-2003, 10:16 AM
I know Prescriptives and Elizabeth Arden off the top of my head. But honestly I think most makeup counters will do it.

wolfsoul
11-06-2003, 10:34 AM
The only makeup I wear is my black eyeliner. I'm obsessed. If I don't have it, I get frumpy and miffed. Occasionally I'll wear some black eyeshadow.

cali
11-06-2003, 02:09 PM
a little, mainly I wear no shine powder, and lip chap, thats about it though. but the thing is the people I know that were not allowed to where make-up until a certain age where a tone where as I have never not been allowed to where make-up so I am not to intrested, its sort of the smae type of thing as candy and younf kids there was a study done with kids who were allowed candy whenever and kids were were not allowed candy, they were in a room by themselfs with a hidden camera, and left with a tray full of junk food, and a tray of toys, the kids who were not allowd junk food went straight for the junk, where as the kids they were allowed junk food ignored it and played with the toys, same concept with make-up I think :p

micki76
11-06-2003, 02:23 PM
I know Prescriptives and Elizabeth Arden off the top of my head. But honestly I think most makeup counters will do it.

Thanks! I’m headed to Prescriptives after work today! :D Wish me luck!

2kitties
11-06-2003, 02:33 PM
But Cali, makeup is not a bad thing. There is no reason to "condition" children not to want it- as with candy. Granted, hopefully a mother will help her daughter learn to wear it the right way- to accent her beauty rather than destroy it. But I believe it is a good thing.

wolfsoul
11-06-2003, 03:21 PM
But Cali, makeup is not a bad thing. There is no reason to "condition" children not to want it- as with candy. Granted, hopefully a mother will help her daughter learn to wear it the right way- to accent her beauty rather than destroy it. But I believe it is a good thing.
I remember grade 5 when I went to school with bright red lipstick. My mom never even acknowledged it. It would have been nice for her to tell me how stupid I looked!!! :eek:

ticosmyham
11-06-2003, 08:30 PM
No make up for me. I am very low matinence......what the Freench call a certain.....I don't know what. lol Sorry, I felt the need to quote Austin Powers. But anyway, it only takes me like 5 minutes to get ready for school. And I love it!

trayi52
11-06-2003, 11:28 PM
I have to wear makeup, if I didn't there would be bad accidents on the highway while driving into town. I do not go out of the house without it. I don't people to be driving down the highway and somebody suddenly glance over at "me" driving, it would be like seeing Lily Munster driving a car, and I certainly don't want to cause a fatal accident. I have wore make up for the past 30 to 35 years. Of course when I was younger, I didn't wear the foundation, but now I wear the kind I have to sandblast off my face. LOL. If you don't need to wear the makeup, then you are very lucky. Very lucky.
But no joking, I can't stand to go anywhere without my makeup, and like soledad I do like makeup. Though the way I understand soledad is a very beautiful young lady, and probably don't need it.:)

tikeyas_mom
11-07-2003, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by binka_nugget
Ohhh I love clear lipgloss from Mac. It feels funny but it looks so good that I don't care how it feels LOL.

I usually wear black eye liner, black m,askara, lite brown lip liner, lite brown glossy lip stick, lite brown eye shadow to make my eyes look more nice, and compact crap lol..

Soledad
11-07-2003, 08:34 AM
Oh, Trayi52, if you only knew!! LOL....;)

2kitties
11-07-2003, 08:36 AM
Yes, Trayi and Soledad, I feel my makeup is a public service.

trayi52
11-07-2003, 10:51 AM
Yes, public service for sure, I feel like when I put my makeup on and go out in public, I feel great, I am saving lives!!:D ;)

Miss Meow
11-10-2003, 07:56 PM
Does anybody use Philosophy skincare products?

I mail ordered the foot scrub and it arrived last week. It smells like eucalyptus and I could spend all day with my head in the jar! (Some would say this is a good thing ...) Seriously, it's great for feet and I've been scrubbing my hands with it too and they are nice and smooth :)

Cheshirekatt
11-10-2003, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Miss Meow
Does anybody use Philosophy skincare products?

I mail ordered the foot scrub and it arrived last week. It smells like eucalyptus and I could spend all day with my head in the jar! (Some would say this is a good thing ...) Seriously, it's great for feet and I've been scrubbing my hands with it too and they are nice and smooth :)

I LOVE Philosophy! I like almost all of their products, especially the Gingerbread Man body scrub.....it's yummy. :)

Tonya
11-11-2003, 07:00 AM
I started wearing light lip gloss at about 12. Mascara at about 13-14. Eyeliner, blush and eye shadow at about 15. I think those ages are about right. I'd follow those ages with my daughter as long as she didn't make herself look tacky. I'd be especially happy if she was comfortable going without makeup. I am not.

petlover
11-11-2003, 09:42 PM
I don't like some makeup because sometimes they test on animals.:( I hate that. All companies do not test on animals, but I have never liked makeup. I just never have.

shais_mom
11-30-2003, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by iloverat
For all those who do like to wear make-up, have you ever checked into the book entitled "Don't Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me" ? The author is Paula Begoun and she gives a SUPER analysis of all lines of cosmetics. It was amazing to me to see Lancome and L'Oreal were owned by the same company so lots of their products were almost the same except for price. Lots of neat stuff like that in the book. This author also has 2 on-line newsletters you can subscribe to - one is free and the other costs. I get both and have noticed that the freebie newsletter contains a lot of stuff that's in the one you pay for. Oh, and Jane make=up line is owned by Lauder!

I do like makeup, love to play with it but don't wear it every day. My favorite toy is lipgloss. Love it, Love it, LOVE IT!!!!!

I signed up for her newsletter awhile ago (free one) when do you get them b/c I haven't gotten one yet. :(

shais_mom
11-30-2003, 11:41 PM
I just re-signed up so hopefully that will work.:p

Aspen and Misty
12-01-2003, 12:21 AM
i have naturally rosie Cheeks. My eyes stand out due to my hair cut. I rarly get pimples. So all I wear is Mascara. TO be truthful I don't know how to put Eye shadow on properly. THe only time I ever wore it, I wore it to school and my friend grabed my hand drug me to the bathroom and told me I looked like a freak :D I love my friends!!!

Ashley

NoahsMommy
12-01-2003, 01:29 AM
Do I like makeup??? Uh, YES!!! :)

I have to do a Christmas list for my parents and I think over 75% of it consisted of new makeup from Sephora and Aveda I want to try or need. :)

My newest obsession is Vincent Longo's "Curl" Mascera! AMAZING!! Go get it! :) I also just got Stila's lip gloss that comes in a metal paint tube...LOVE IT!! My favorite brands are Aveda, Stila, Vingent Longo, Philosophy and Urban Decay.

I was allowed to make up once I turned 13. For my birthday, my mom took me to a salon where they taught me how to apply it.

2kitties
12-01-2003, 09:25 AM
You may have read in the Thursday's thread about the old lady who farted on me at the shoe rack at the mall this weekend. Well, in my trauma, I felt I'd earned a trip to the MAC counter where I bought some new makeup. I'm so easy- all the gal had to tell me was that this new lipliner and lipglass was the JLo look and out came my wallet.

iloverat
12-01-2003, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by shais_mom
I signed up for her newsletter awhile ago (free one) when do you get them b/c I haven't gotten one yet. :(

I checked and the last newsletter I received came in on Nov.6. That was listed as her Nov/Dec e-mail which reminded me that they only come out every two months. Hope you get yours soon and that you will enjoy it :D

Miss Meow
12-03-2003, 10:14 PM
Does anybody use benefit cosmetics? I'm just looking at the online catalogue now, and they are speaking my language!

Cheshirekatt
12-03-2003, 11:49 PM
Does anybody use benefit cosmetics? I'm just looking at the online catalogue now, and they are speaking my language!

I've got several Benefit items that are staples for me. :)

Their cream shadows are the best in the business.

Soledad
12-04-2003, 06:46 AM
I really like the Boing! Benefit undereye makeup and the Kitty glitter lotion. I must admit to being a total sucker for their packaging and marketing. Love the pin-up era style about them!

Miss Meow
12-04-2003, 02:22 PM
You two are my personal makeup advisers! It would be so cool if we could go shopping one day :D

2kitties
12-04-2003, 02:26 PM
Soledad, if you love packaging, give a look at Hard Candy beauty products. Very fun. Or Stilla.
Do you go to Sephora?

Cheshirekatt
12-04-2003, 02:38 PM
You two are my personal makeup advisers! It would be so cool if we could go shopping one day :D

Tell ya what......when I get to Australia we'll hit the make-up counters!

Australia will never be the same. :D

Soledad
12-04-2003, 02:57 PM
2Kitties, I'm recovering from the giggle fit induced when you asked me if I go to Sephora.

Dear Lord, yes!

Amber
12-04-2003, 05:18 PM
The only makeup I use is blush.......Alot of the girls at my school wear eye shawdow and, they always put such a THICK layer of eye liner on! ugly!!

2kitties
12-04-2003, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Soledad
2Kitties, I'm recovering from the giggle fit induced when you asked me if I go to Sephora.

Dear Lord, yes!

ah, such a wonderful place. If only the'd start carrying MAC. The lady at the MAC counter the other day took all my money just because she convinced me I was buying the JLo look. Now, where's Ben?

iloverat
12-04-2003, 06:06 PM
Has anybody used SMOOCH by BeneFit? I swear by it, use it twice a day and it has cured dry, chapped lips. I'm always in search of a new, better lipbalm (I like Kiehl's) but SMOOCH has really been the one that produced positive results.

iloverat
12-04-2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by iloverat
I checked and the last newsletter I received came in on Nov.6. That was listed as her Nov/Dec e-mail which reminded me that they only come out every two months.

I gave you misinformation about the schedule for these newsletters. SORRY!!!!! :( The free letter is a monthly publication; the paid subscription arrives every 2 months. I apologize for any confusion that may have caused.

Soledad
12-04-2003, 06:23 PM
I cannot wait for my trip to NYC. I'm going to raid the Kiehl's store!!!

I wish Sephora would get with it and get some MAC products in there, but the mall next to me already has it's own MAC store so it isn't a horrible loss at the moment.

captain
12-04-2003, 07:10 PM
Tell ya what......when I get to Australia we'll hit the make-up counters!

Australia will never be the same. :D

Kat,

If you are coming here, you better be telling me!!!!!:D

Cheshirekatt
12-04-2003, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by captain
Kat,

If you are coming here, you better be telling me!!!!!:D

I'm bound and determined to get to Australia in the next five years!

:)